Bullnose Forums

Wrong Flex Plate

Just installed a rebuilt transmission on my ‘ 80 f100 with a 4.9L. The shop where I had it rebuilt gave me the wrong flex plate (got one for a 351with weight welded) now I have a significant vibration.

1. Since I did the installation myself and didn’t notice (didn’t know) the wrong flex plate. What do you all think is a fair agreement with the shop owner to remedy this screw up??

Just installed a rebuilt transmission on my ‘ 80 f100 with a 4.9L. The shop where I had it rebuilt gave me the wrong flex plate (got one for a 351with weight welded) now I have a significant vibration.

1. Since I did the installation myself and didn’t notice (didn’t know) the wrong flex plate. What do you all think is a fair agreement with the shop owner to remedy this screw up??

How long did you run the engine with the vibration? They should at the very least exchange the incorrect flexplate for the correct flexplate, at no cost to you. Do you know if the issue was that they ordered the wrong flexplate or simply received the wrong flexplate (correct part number on box, but wrong flexplate in it).

Are you wanting them to do the install?

Might not hurt to ask them...if they are worried that the vibration might have caused any issues with the transmission. Maybe they'll want to take it apart and check it out.

How long did you run the engine with the vibration? They should at the very least exchange the incorrect flexplate for the correct flexplate, at no cost to you. Do you know if the issue was that they ordered the wrong flexplate or simply received the wrong flexplate (correct part number on box, but wrong flexplate in it).

Are you wanting them to do the install?

Might not hurt to ask them...if they are worried that the vibration might have caused any issues with the transmission. Maybe they'll want to take it apart and check it out.

The truck has 50 miles on that engine/transmission combo. The guy said that he got the wrong flex plate from his supplier. Guess we both didn’t notice. I’m gonna ask if he wants to drop the tranny at his shop and replace it. I paid him top dollar for his services and it’s only fair for him to make it right

The truck has 50 miles on that engine/transmission combo. The guy said that he got the wrong flex plate from his supplier. Guess we both didn’t notice. I’m gonna ask if he wants to drop the tranny at his shop and replace it. I paid him top dollar for his services and it’s only fair for him to make it right

No harm in politely making your case and asking him. Since he didn't do the install originally I wouldn't plan on it happening though.

Ultimately I'd say all you are guaranteed is the correct flex plate.

Sorry - never fun to have to dive back in right after it's buttoned up.

I’d like him to drop the trany and replace the flex plate at the same time check it out for collateral damage.

I agree with what Scott said. That's all you should expect. Anything more than a simple exchange would come with an additional charge for the extra labor involved with removing your trans to replace the flex plate.

I agree with what Scott said. That's all you should expect. Anything more than a simple exchange would come with an additional charge for the extra labor involved with removing your trans to replace the flex plate.

Worst case scenario, since the flexplates are identical except for the weight, you can cut the weights off of a V8 flexplate and run it on a 4.9. Been there - Done that!