Bullnose Forums

Help On 3G Page

Sorta, I'm in and out on it, as I have other things going on. Tonight, I'm going to pull my 3G, as it is temp fitted, and begin the wiring process. May be lots of questions.

I hope it'll be in the garage! 'Tis 17F here now, so maybe 19 at your place? Did you get the ice?

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope it'll be in the garage! 'Tis 17F here now, so maybe 19 at your place? Did you get the ice?

Ohhhh definitely! I've got heat out there too. I do have one question, what is this sensing wire.....color and location, please? It's not labeled on the harness as sensing wire, perhaps another nomenclature though.

Ohhhh definitely! I've got heat out there too. I do have one question, what is this sensing wire.....color and location, please? It's not labeled on the harness as sensing wire, perhaps another nomenclature though.

Sorry, the "sense" wire is the Y/W wire. It is how the regulator senses what the battery voltage is. It is the feedback link to the regulator so it can control the alternator's output voltage.

As shown below, which is from the '96 EVTM, Ford attached it to what I've called the megafuse, but in the '96 EVTM it is Fuse Link J. Jim has recommended that we wrap it back and connect to the output stud.

3G_Schematic.thumb.jpg.4bf47d3f4b54e63d085c5285355c255e.jpg

Sorry, the "sense" wire is the Y/W wire. It is how the regulator senses what the battery voltage is. It is the feedback link to the regulator so it can control the alternator's output voltage.

As shown below, which is from the '96 EVTM, Ford attached it to what I've called the megafuse, but in the '96 EVTM it is Fuse Link J. Jim has recommended that we wrap it back and connect to the output stud.

Very good on the sensing wire, may want to label somewhere and describe as you have to me in this thread.

Something else in regards to the wires on my harness and their respective colors. I have three yellow wires each of different gauges. They are solid yellow, no other markings I can find. Also, the red/orange wire is just red, no orange. Is it possible I removed the minor markings when I cleaned them?

On the yellow wires, I may have to go by gauge instead of color.

Very good on the sensing wire, may want to label somewhere and describe as you have to me in this thread.

Something else in regards to the wires on my harness and their respective colors. I have three yellow wires each of different gauges. They are solid yellow, no other markings I can find. Also, the red/orange wire is just red, no orange. Is it possible I removed the minor markings when I cleaned them?

On the yellow wires, I may have to go by gauge instead of color.

Cleaning or just natural fading. The secondary colors on the one I cut up are very hard to see also. You can use which splice they go into, length, and what other wires they go into the splice with in addition to the gauge as clues.

Gary's photo should help: http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Help-On-3G-Page-tp86569p86819.html

Cleaning or just natural fading. The secondary colors on the one I cut up are very hard to see also. You can use which splice they go into, length, and what other wires they go into the splice with in addition to the gauge as clues.

Gary's photo should help: http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Help-On-3G-Page-tp86569p86819.html

Scott - Thanks.

John - Scott is right, there really should be tracers on all but the big wire. But they are sometimes really hard to see. I know this is your picture, but maybe you can look really closely and find the traces?

And, I could add what the wire does to the pic. Is that what you mean?

2g-harness-with-callouts-cuts_orig.thumb.jpg.77ff2b52049201758d5700e68bdb3010.jpg

Scott - Thanks.

John - Scott is right, there really should be tracers on all but the big wire. But they are sometimes really hard to see. I know this is your picture, but maybe you can look really closely and find the traces?

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n87983/2g-harness-with-callouts-cuts_orig.jpg

I inspected that harness last night and found no second markings. They are just yellow. Agree, I can determine which is which by where it goes though.

Scott - Thanks.

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n87983/2g-harness-with-callouts-cuts_orig.jpg

I inspected that harness last night and found no second markings. They are just yellow. Agree, I can determine which is which by where it goes though.

John, is your regulator plug marked ISA on the plug itself?

It's probably best to be referring to these wires by their proper terms of ignition, stator and alternator as that's how a 1G regulator plug is marked.

While charge, exciter and sense say something about their function it doesn't jibe with a shop manual.

But maybe my suggestion for foolproofing just makes it more confusing???

We all know 'dumbing it down' will ultimately prove there is a bigger dummy out there (somewhere)

John, is your regulator plug marked ISA on the plug itself?

It's probably best to be referring to these wires by their proper terms of ignition, stator and alternator as that's how a 1G regulator plug is marked.

While charge, exciter and sense say something about their function it doesn't jibe with a shop manual.

But maybe my suggestion for foolproofing just makes it more confusing???

We all know 'dumbing it down' will ultimately prove there is a bigger dummy out there (somewhere)

Jim, I'll look when I get home tonight. Thanks buddy!

The real issue with it, the 2G goes full output with no place to really load it down, if it doesn't fry every electronic piece on the vehicle, it can still set itself on fire like a Vietnam era Buddhist monk.

I’m sorry but that cracks me up!