Bullnose Forums

Help On 3G Page

I was never the one to suggest using the voltmeter for cab power.

In fact, the only way I got drawn into this was because I'd suggested to John (quick and easy) that he tap his HO choke relay if he wanted to monitor battery power. (The fuselink literally sits on the same stud with the battery cable)

I don't think anyone is saying you are.:nabble_anim_confused:

I mentioned it early on because, while admittedly I hadn't given the drop much thought when I installed it since all the aftermarket voltmeters I've installed use a key on source directly, it does work and is easy...but so on and so on and scooby dooby doo-bee :nabble_smiley_whistling:

Agreed Gary. I've definitely given it thought and while I'd would like to try it for a comparison just to have the data to see what kind of drop there is, it goes against the reason for the LG/R+R/O option.

There are so many different ways to do it, each with their own advantages and disadvantages, that we could debate it ad nauseam. Oh wait! We already have! :nabble_face-with-open-mouth-vomiting-23x23_orig:

So I'm planning to continue with the options we have. They may not be the best ways, but they are reasonable ways. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Given that, I'd like to have help making sure I get these alternatives explained correctly.

There are so many different ways to do it, each with their own advantages and disadvantages, that we could debate it ad nauseam. Oh wait! We already have! :nabble_face-with-open-mouth-vomiting-23x23_orig:

So I'm planning to continue with the options we have. They may not be the best ways, but they are reasonable ways. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Given that, I'd like to have help making sure I get these alternatives explained correctly.

Gary, Jim brought something up that rather faded among the numerous comments. Would it be possible to set up the schematics and maybe even the pictures in a printable format?

Gary, Jim brought something up that rather faded among the numerous comments. Would it be possible to set up the schematics and maybe even the pictures in a printable format?

Maybe. But what format would be printable? The schematics are in jpg format, and you can right-click any one of them and do one of several things. When I right-click I see the options below.

Are you thinking there ought to be a "Print" button? I don't know how to do that. Maybe someone on here does?

Screenshot_Of_Right-Click.thumb.jpg.dc0662144dbb7cc398d8efa5cd9d6cc0.jpg

Maybe. But what format would be printable? The schematics are in jpg format, and you can right-click any one of them and do one of several things. When I right-click I see the options below.

Are you thinking there ought to be a "Print" button? I don't know how to do that. Maybe someone on here does?

Sorry Gary, cancel that request. I was on my tablet trying to print it and I can't. I can, however, print it off my desktop. Thanks!

Frustrated with myself.....starting to regret the 3G endeavor. Didn't do enough research to ensure the new LRC regulator had the same plug design. They are both supposedly from the same year span.

If you know what specific vehicle I need to find at the JY in order to source the correct pigtail from, please let me know. I bought a Motorcraft LRC regulator part # F5RU-1036-AA. Also, I have no idea if this regulator will fit on my DB Electrical 0028 130amp alternator and I'm reluctant to remove the regulator that it came with to verify fitment. (Not sure if I can get it reinstalled if the new regulator I have doesn't fit.):nabble_smiley_hurt:

3G_pigtail.jpg.fa11ec7817ec129091ec21df4fd392b0.jpg

Frustrated with myself.....starting to regret the 3G endeavor. Didn't do enough research to ensure the new LRC regulator had the same plug design. They are both supposedly from the same year span.

If you know what specific vehicle I need to find at the JY in order to source the correct pigtail from, please let me know. I bought a Motorcraft LRC regulator part # F5RU-1036-AA. Also, I have no idea if this regulator will fit on my DB Electrical 0028 130amp alternator and I'm reluctant to remove the regulator that it came with to verify fitment. (Not sure if I can get it reinstalled if the new regulator I have doesn't fit.):nabble_smiley_hurt:

Oh! That's got to be frustrating. 😖

So you have the D shape pigtail, and now you have the rectangular shaped socket on the new regulator?

I will say, yes it will fit your alternator.

2G & 3G regulator/brush holders all fit the same in the back of the unit.

Oh! That's got to be frustrating. 😖

So you have the D shape pigtail, and now you have the rectangular shaped socket on the new regulator?

I will say, yes it will fit your alternator.

2G & 3G regulator/brush holders all fit the same in the back of the unit.

https://smithcoelectric.com/products/8050-514-new-regulator-for-ford-3g-alternators-lrc

I just ordered this one. Has 2.5 second LRC with proper "D" shaped plug.

Update: No more squealing on startup! Slightly lower voltage than the original regulator but stays at 14 volts.

https://smithcoelectric.com/products/8050-514-new-regulator-for-ford-3g-alternators-lrc

I just ordered this one. Has 2.5 second LRC with proper "D" shaped plug.

Update: No more squealing on startup! Slightly lower voltage than the original regulator but stays at 14 volts.

Ty - Sorry you had that problem. But you appear to have it sorted. :nabble_smiley_good:

John - Check out the page now. I made a few changes to the pic showing where to cut your harness, as shown below. Does that help?

Still don't have the "this wire does that" info on it, but let's get the cutting right first.

2G_Harness_-_With_Callouts__Cuts_-_Easier_To_Read.thumb.jpg.24dd44214137b0506113dce2581d2397.jpg

• 2 years later...

Ty - Sorry you had that problem. But you appear to have it sorted. :nabble_smiley_good:

John - Check out the page now. I made a few changes to the pic showing where to cut your harness, as shown below. Does that help?

Still don't have the "this wire does that" info on it, but let's get the cutting right first.

Sorry to be late to this thread, but reading back on Feb 15 2012 @4:41PM Jim wrote,

"On a 1986, with a 2G ALT, if it fails and you pick up a replacement 2G at the auto parts store, it will NOT work if you only have 2 wires on your wire regulator plug. You will have to replace the plug with a 3 wire plug to get it to work."

I'm that guy. On Nov 28 2021 I got a replacement 2G ALT from a long time auto parts store, they swapped over my V belt pulley and the ALT was plug and play into the 2G, two wire VR harnesses. My 86' 302EFI, has two wires, yellow/white and green/red next to each other on the VR plug.

Also, the charge indicator gauge in my truck has always worked well.