Bullnose Forums

Help On 3G Page

Okay, here's another question, one I think I already know the answer to but want confirmation. Recall that I have a Painless kit that I will be using. There is a 4 gauge wire that runs from the alternator to the mega fuse and then to the battery side of the starter solenoid. I'm not seeing that in your schematics. Instead, I see the Blk/O wire or shunt. So, will I not be using the 4 gauge wire from the alternator?

Well, you've pointed out another change I need to make - remove the wire color designation. In fact, I think I typed something about that somewhere, but I don't remember where.

Anyway most, but not all, Ford 3G harnii have a BK/O wire from the alternator. But some are yellow, and the one from Painless is whatever color. But the color doesn't matter.

In your case you should use the one from Painless.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But we need participation.

The few of us here are not really representative of the intended audience for a tutorial.

Amen, brother!

Voltmeter Source:

When I wired my voltmeter I had an extra KEY ON wire left over from my DS2 conversion, so I just used it.

This was not something I spent a lot of thought on, it was just quick and simple. I also am not trying to say my way is better. It is really a reflection on how I am ... cheap, lazy, use what you got and never spend a dollar. I am also happy to live in the "good enough" category. That said, I wanted to share what I learned while driving the truck this way the last 6 years.

If I run the power windows you will see a voltage drop on the voltmeter. For me, this is just good troubleshooting info. It tells me the window motor is drawing a normal amount of current.

While at a stop light, you can see a little movement of the needle with the brakes ON-OFF. Nice to know the brake lights are working :nabble_smiley_good:.

I have headlight relays so I don't see much usable info here. The Heater Fan is a high load of the fuse box and will draw the needle down, say 100% to 75% with fan on high, but I rarely use it on high. But if I find the need to see what the ALT is sending to the battery I can just turn off the heater and the needle jumps back up.

If my ALT had a hard failure my needle would drop from 100% to below 50%. Using a stator relay it would drop from 100% to zero. If you didn't notice a 50% drop would you notice a 100% drop? Is the relay worth the extra complexity?

Regarding a 2G to 3G conversion WITH AMP METER: I would say just cap off the amp meter wires until you can change out the amp meter to a volt meter.

Again, these a just my thoughts and my personal experiences to add to the pool of info, to get to the final product.

Jim #2

Voltmeter Source:

When I wired my voltmeter I had an extra KEY ON wire left over from my DS2 conversion, so I just used it.

This was not something I spent a lot of thought on, it was just quick and simple. I also am not trying to say my way is better. It is really a reflection on how I am ... cheap, lazy, use what you got and never spend a dollar. I am also happy to live in the "good enough" category. That said, I wanted to share what I learned while driving the truck this way the last 6 years.

If I run the power windows you will see a voltage drop on the voltmeter. For me, this is just good troubleshooting info. It tells me the window motor is drawing a normal amount of current.

While at a stop light, you can see a little movement of the needle with the brakes ON-OFF. Nice to know the brake lights are working :nabble_smiley_good:.

I have headlight relays so I don't see much usable info here. The Heater Fan is a high load of the fuse box and will draw the needle down, say 100% to 75% with fan on high, but I rarely use it on high. But if I find the need to see what the ALT is sending to the battery I can just turn off the heater and the needle jumps back up.

If my ALT had a hard failure my needle would drop from 100% to below 50%. Using a stator relay it would drop from 100% to zero. If you didn't notice a 50% drop would you notice a 100% drop? Is the relay worth the extra complexity?

Regarding a 2G to 3G conversion WITH AMP METER: I would say just cap off the amp meter wires until you can change out the amp meter to a volt meter.

Again, these a just my thoughts and my personal experiences to add to the pool of info, to get to the final product.

Jim #2

It's interesting you note that a converted ammeter only has a representative scale and not an absolute scale.

So, if going from 14.3 to 12.7v represents 50% of scale it should be fairly obvious to someone who actually keeps an eye on their gauges.

That you're seeing ~50W deflection when you tap the brakes tells me more than I want to know about the harness.

I guess my brain falls back on familiarity with a power supply or something where you have a lot of scale before the needle even reaches 13v

The whole "all for one, one for all" mindset is a good example of exactly why RJM or Painless have a kit and not enteryouruniversallyfitseverythingbutgoodfornothing

But yeah, my reply to John was absolutely "it's already there and just fine for this"

It's interesting you note that a converted ammeter only has a representative scale and not an absolute scale.

So, if going from 14.3 to 12.7v represents 50% of scale it should be fairly obvious to someone who actually keeps an eye on their gauges.

That you're seeing ~50W deflection when you tap the brakes tells me more than I want to know about the harness.

I guess my brain falls back on familiarity with a power supply or something where you have a lot of scale before the needle even reaches 13v

The whole "all for one, one for all" mindset is a good example of exactly why RJM or Painless have a kit and not enteryouruniversallyfitseverythingbutgoodfornothing

But yeah, my reply to John was absolutely "it's already there and just fine for this"

The Rocket Man Volt meter has a range of 11.5 - 14.5 volts. I have no clue how he did this, I am not that smart.

Here is a link with info.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1339746-how-to-swap-amp-meter-to-volt-meter.html#post14720315

Jim #2

The Rocket Man Volt meter has a range of 11.5 - 14.5 volts. I have no clue how he did this, I am not that smart.

Here is a link with info.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1339746-how-to-swap-amp-meter-to-volt-meter.html#post14720315

Jim #2

It is my understanding that the conversion can be done with the ~3V range set wherever you like.

As I said above, I have to defer to someone who has one.

I learned of this guy from an old XR-7 buddy of mine.

It is my understanding that the conversion can be done with the ~3V range set wherever you like.

As I said above, I have to defer to someone who has one.

I learned of this guy from an old XR-7 buddy of mine.

That is correct. I sent him the specs provided with my alternator when he did mine and he set the values to:

14.8 @ 3/4 setting.

~13.5 @ 1/2 and 12 @ 1/4 so probably about 12.7 @ 3/8.

My regulator pigtail has little raised LSA molded on it.

But I don't know where Painless might source their parts, so have a look when you can?

Jim, you asked me if the pigtail had LSA molded on it. All I see is ASI. I did not pull it to check the other side though. According to Painless, this is what I need for a 3G conversion. Again, it is very high quality as compared to the other pigtail I have.

Regarding the secondary color markings on some of the wires on my alternator harness, there are none on the three yellow wires, nor is there another marking on the red wire. I've been up every inch of the wires. See photo

IMG_1660.jpg.852961751b01ecaf036297cb7cc269a2.jpg

IMG_1662.jpg.08a7945e90e2ca8a8fcccbaddb64694e.jpg

IMG_1663.jpg.52f13733f9d4ec9d219df0c21fbe7a02.jpg

IMG_1661.jpg.d5d80a15b51c7ad02f352bbf2209390e.jpg

My regulator pigtail has little raised LSA molded on it.

But I don't know where Painless might source their parts, so have a look when you can?

Jim, you asked me if the pigtail had LSA molded on it. All I see is ASI. I did not pull it to check the other side though. According to Painless, this is what I need for a 3G conversion. Again, it is very high quality as compared to the other pigtail I have.

Regarding the secondary color markings on some of the wires on my alternator harness, there are none on the three yellow wires, nor is there another marking on the red wire. I've been up every inch of the wires. See photo

I'm thinking 'LSA' must be auto corrected. :nabble_anim_confused:

I really need to read it out before clicking "post message"

What I cared is the wires are labeled on the pigtail, but it seems you only have them tagged on the regulator?

I'm thinking 'LSA' must be auto corrected. :nabble_anim_confused:

I really need to read it out before clicking "post message"

What I cared is the wires are labeled on the pigtail, but it seems you only have them tagged on the regulator?

That's funny!

Ok, Jim (the self-ascribed "Jim #2) has made a good case for the simple approach of using some form of switched power for the voltmeter. So we need to include that approach in our bag of tricks.

And, I'm thinking that we may want to have a tab for Other Options, or somesuch. On it we could show other approaches but not flesh them out as thoroughly as we need to do for the other, recommended approaches.