Bullnose Forums

New guy from Alberta Canada

GLHS60

Hi Gary:

Location listed, ready for the map!!

I don't think even Bill can help me with the Carter LOL

We both have an affection for the ancient Chrysler 2.2/2.5 Turbo's

They're extremely durable and respond well to modifications.

My Mopar of choice is the Dodge Omni Turbo, I bought mine new.

My last drag car was a 1963 Dodge Wagon 440 with 429 Ford pistons!!

Still trying to figure out the site, see a mention of HTML and assignment.??

Did I mention I'm mostly computer illiterate??

Thanks

Randy

The little Goes Like Hell were one of Iacocca's gifts to mankind (and teenage testosterone)

Welcome Randy, and have fun! :nabble_smiley_super:

The little Goes Like Hell were one of Iacocca's gifts to mankind (and teenage testosterone)

Welcome Randy, and have fun! :nabble_smiley_super:

Jim, it was Iaccoca's friend who he had helped in the 60s by agreeing to first sell him engines for his Anglo-American sports car then later helping to spice up Ford's new sporty car, the Mustang. After Lido was canned at Ford, he went to Chrysler.

One of the stories that surfaced was that the K-cars were a design Ford had been considering, but the concept was scrapped with Iaccoca. His first step was the Omni/Horizon pair using engines and 4 speed transaxles sourced from VW. in 1981 Chrysler introduced their 2.2L OHC 4 and the K-cars originally pretty basic family cars and surprisingly roomy inside. Engines were the 2.2L and a Mitsubishi built 2.6L. By 1982 the 2.2L was now in the Omni/Horizon.

In 1983 the "super K" models were added, Chrysler Lebaron and Dodge 400 and some of the Lebaron and Dodge 400 2drs were modified by an outside shop into convertibles. In 1984 Chrysler added the Dodge Daytona and Chrysler Laser to the line and put a turbocharged 2.2L engine in them and the super Ks. Logic was Chrysler did not have a V6 to compete with GM and some of the imports. As some of the imports were now coming with more powerful engines help was needed, so Iaccoca called the man who he had helped as head of Ford. First out was the Omni GLH, a high compression 2.2L carbureted engine putting out 110hp in the little FWD sedan. These evolved into the GLHS with the Shelby developed 2.2L turbo II and intercooled system that pumped the engine up to 170hp. These cars were built by Shelby in Wittier CA and have Shelby VINs just like the 60s GT350 Mustangs. Randy owns GLHS #60, hence his user name on forums.

Jim, it was Iaccoca's friend who he had helped in the 60s by agreeing to first sell him engines for his Anglo-American sports car then later helping to spice up Ford's new sporty car, the Mustang. After Lido was canned at Ford, he went to Chrysler.

One of the stories that surfaced was that the K-cars were a design Ford had been considering, but the concept was scrapped with Iaccoca. His first step was the Omni/Horizon pair using engines and 4 speed transaxles sourced from VW. in 1981 Chrysler introduced their 2.2L OHC 4 and the K-cars originally pretty basic family cars and surprisingly roomy inside. Engines were the 2.2L and a Mitsubishi built 2.6L. By 1982 the 2.2L was now in the Omni/Horizon.

In 1983 the "super K" models were added, Chrysler Lebaron and Dodge 400 and some of the Lebaron and Dodge 400 2drs were modified by an outside shop into convertibles. In 1984 Chrysler added the Dodge Daytona and Chrysler Laser to the line and put a turbocharged 2.2L engine in them and the super Ks. Logic was Chrysler did not have a V6 to compete with GM and some of the imports. As some of the imports were now coming with more powerful engines help was needed, so Iaccoca called the man who he had helped as head of Ford. First out was the Omni GLH, a high compression 2.2L carbureted engine putting out 110hp in the little FWD sedan. These evolved into the GLHS with the Shelby developed 2.2L turbo II and intercooled system that pumped the engine up to 170hp. These cars were built by Shelby in Wittier CA and have Shelby VINs just like the 60s GT350 Mustangs. Randy owns GLHS #60, hence his user name on forums.

Shelby knew a thing or two about making cars go fast. :nabble_smiley_wink:

I think the GLH might have been the ultimate sleeper car back then if you pulled the spoiler and put some base level looking wheels on it.

Having it intercooled with increased compression would have made it even more awesome! :nabble_smiley_cool: