Bullnose Forums

Super Duty column swap problem has stumped FTE

Nope

No PM's, but you can send an email to any member by clicking their username.

Discussion of anything from /about any Ford pickup is fair game in my mind.

The Superduty steering column is much different. (assuming you mean 450 or '99 & up)

So I need to go look at that thread, or do you have a question?

Nope

No PM's, but you can send an email to any member by clicking their username.

Discussion of anything from /about any Ford pickup is fair game in my mind.

The Superduty steering column is much different. (assuming you mean 450 or '99 & up)

So I need to go look at that thread, or do you have a question?

Here's my thread. Thanks for the "pm" tip.

stumped...

Let me see if I can find electrical differences in my AllData, mechanical I probably can't get anything definitive.

Ok, so far, 1999-2005 way different systems, does the column physically look the same (I doubt it) as the ignition switch on the 99 looks similar to the 1996 one in Darth, the 2005 is completely different. I have the column from the 1995 F450 Jim parted out, but it is a manual transmission one so probably won't help you. I have saved the pertinent diagrams as pdfs, give me an email in a message and I will send them to you as zipped files.

Help me understand why you didn't just fix the detents in the F-550's column?

I am no expert here ether. My question would be to everybody. Are not the detents in the transmition and not the coloum. I ask because every time I have pulled out a valve body to do a shift kit, when you are done and before you hook up the linkage, you need to test the shifting spool to make sure it stops in the correct amount of detents for gear and direction.

Again, just a question.

I am no expert here ether. My question would be to everybody. Are not the detents in the transmition and not the coloum. I ask because every time I have pulled out a valve body to do a shift kit, when you are done and before you hook up the linkage, you need to test the shifting spool to make sure it stops in the correct amount of detents for gear and direction.

Again, just a question.

The column has what is actually a gate, the plate that the shift lever tang rides against so that it stops in certain positions and is blocked from moving beyond some areas until you raise the lever. Park is a positive lock, Reverse a smaller one, Neutral and Drive or Overdrive can, on most be freely moved between, 2 and 1 require raising the lever to go into, but some do not need it to go back the D or OD.

I don't have a loose column with the gate, but do have a couple of Chrysler floor shifters with a similar design. They have a top button to be depressed.

As to why, possibly the tang was broken or the gate was missing. The valve body detents are primarily to keep the manual valve in place once a gear is selected and it allows for wear in the older mechanical linkage. Due to the mechanical advantage most shifters have there is actually very little if any "feel" to those detents.

The column has what is actually a gate, the plate that the shift lever tang rides against so that it stops in certain positions and is blocked from moving beyond some areas until you raise the lever. Park is a positive lock, Reverse a smaller one, Neutral and Drive or Overdrive can, on most be freely moved between, 2 and 1 require raising the lever to go into, but some do not need it to go back the D or OD.

I don't have a loose column with the gate, but do have a couple of Chrysler floor shifters with a similar design. They have a top button to be depressed.

As to why, possibly the tang was broken or the gate was missing. The valve body detents are primarily to keep the manual valve in place once a gear is selected and it allows for wear in the older mechanical linkage. Due to the mechanical advantage most shifters have there is actually very little if any "feel" to those detents.

Are you suggesting the tang is broken?

How deep do you have to go to change a shift lever?

(Sorry, I'm automatic column inept) :nabble_smiley_blush: