Bullnose Forums

Keeping Aluminum Looking New

Machspeed

Buying new is great. I have spent a ton of money on e-Bay buying NOS parts but my truck is a diesel and sense 1995 I have yet to find a NOS radiator reservoir for my truck, so I am going to have to try and clean it. Dan

Dan - Please let us know what you use and how it worked. We may need to document this as lots of folks have grungy looking reservoirs.

Dan - Please let us know what you use and how it worked. We may need to document this as lots of folks have grungy looking reservoirs.

Hi Gary, Will do. I did use some Soft Scrub that which my wife uses to clean pots and pans that did a pretty good job on the outside but I need to clean the inside of the tank. Dan

Jim - I'm working my way through your links.

#1, the Retro-Brite-Sole-Sauce appears to be the stuff that #3 mentions at the bottom. And while it may work well, getting to the inside of some of the reservoirs may not be easy.

#2 has a neat shot of its results. But note that the "40% peroxide" was later said to be 12%.

RetroBright_Results.thumb.jpg.6dd46d504cc1154a501aa3a21409d2a6.jpg

#3 has this statement: The problem was finally cracked in late July 2008 with a mixture of hydrogen peroxide, a small amount of an "Oxy" laundry booster as a catalyst and a UV lamp; we believed that this could do the job in hours instead of days. Proof of this concept was demonstrated on EAB by Tonyyeb from Hull, UK, Chiark from Leeds, UK and myself. The original test I did as proof of concept took two hours, as opposed to up to the five days it took for the original tests at CBM and a1k.org. We were on to something!!

#4 says Hydrogen Peroxide – 3% & OXI Clean + UV light. And only a little bit of OXI Clean.

#5 used Hydrogen Peroxide @ 12% and UV light from a string of LED's wrapped around the clear container, with aluminum foil reflecting the light back in. And, it got warm, although not hot.

So, it looks like hydrogen peroxide and OXI Clean with UV light and heat is the "hot" ticket. Filling up a reservoir with the combo and sitting it in the sun, plus rotating it from time to time, should work. Thanks!

Jim - I'm working my way through your links.

#1, the Retro-Brite-Sole-Sauce appears to be the stuff that #3 mentions at the bottom. And while it may work well, getting to the inside of some of the reservoirs may not be easy.

#2 has a neat shot of its results. But note that the "40% peroxide" was later said to be 12%.

#3 has this statement: The problem was finally cracked in late July 2008 with a mixture of hydrogen peroxide, a small amount of an "Oxy" laundry booster as a catalyst and a UV lamp; we believed that this could do the job in hours instead of days. Proof of this concept was demonstrated on EAB by Tonyyeb from Hull, UK, Chiark from Leeds, UK and myself. The original test I did as proof of concept took two hours, as opposed to up to the five days it took for the original tests at CBM and a1k.org. We were on to something!!

#4 says Hydrogen Peroxide – 3% & OXI Clean + UV light. And only a little bit of OXI Clean.

#5 used Hydrogen Peroxide @ 12% and UV light from a string of LED's wrapped around the clear container, with aluminum foil reflecting the light back in. And, it got warm, although not hot.

So, it looks like hydrogen peroxide and OXI Clean with UV light and heat is the "hot" ticket. Filling up a reservoir with the combo and sitting it in the sun, plus rotating it from time to time, should work. Thanks!

Yeah, 'blonde in a bottle' + heat seems best, but the UV helps (obviously)

Heat is just pushing the reaction (like any chemistry) so you don't have to leave it slathered for days.

But strong peroxides are on the precursor watch list.

You can boil down a couple of gallons of 3% and not attract unwanted attention.

Yeah, 'blonde in a bottle' + heat seems best, but the UV helps (obviously)

Heat is just pushing the reaction (like any chemistry) so you don't have to leave it slathered for days.

But strong peroxides are on the precursor watch list.

You can boil down a couple of gallons of 3% and not attract unwanted attention.

Good point about the peroxides. I'll stay with 3%.

Okay gang, how did we go from preserving aluminum finish to cleaning overflow reservoirs??? GARY!!! :nabble_smiley_sleep:

And btw, Big Blue's thread is already crapped out......:nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

Big Blue's thread hasn't "crapped out". It is just a bit old and slow, like me. But, why worry maaaaaannnn, we are paaaarked!

As for cleaning overflow reservoirs, it was a natural extension of the discussion re how to clean a brake master cylinder reservoir. :nabble_smiley_wink: