Bullnose Forums

New member from Mill Creek WA

cjstaci

Wow, what an awesome write up and pictures. Special thanks to Gary Lewis. I thought the monkey joke was great.

I looked at all the local places online and the closest hinge I could find was 72" in length at $40. I ordered one from McMaster-Carr for $5 plus shipping. The only bad thing is I have to wait for it. So now I have to put it back together enough so I can drive the truck and have a defroster. It's supposed to snow tomorrow. It's really sad that Ford was soooo cheap to use a plastic hinge.

This is a great forum.

Yes, that's a good how-to. But, even with that it is a lot of work. Been there, done that, have the scars.

So, good luck!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It sure is a lot of work. The worst part is putting it back together temporarily only to do it again.

I was searching the net for a shift collar for a tilt column and found that NPD has them for $49.

I couldn't find it by searching their website, but when I did a web search by part number E2TZ-7228-C, it brought up a link to NPD. I hope this can be of help.

Wow! Very nice truck! I'm starting on a 1980 that I recently acquired. I hope mine looks half that good someday!

Finally got around to to the panel vent door. I was expecting it to be plastic. But the plastic hinge is riveted to a metal door.20210223_171105.jpg.f27eaa63427adbc9a799b9c6e674c976.jpg

So, what is your plan for repair? Piano hinge?

Yes. I bought the hinge from McMaster-Carr. I noticed that the hinge doesn't rotate smoothly, if I can fix that, then great, if not maybe I will buy a new door from the Bronco graveyard. If I can use the hinge, then I will have to remove two rivets so the the hinge will sit flat against the door..20210223_171050_LI.jpg.91c74d2e451cd24da9f410aafc27f17f.jpg

Yes. I bought the hinge from McMaster-Carr. I noticed that the hinge doesn't rotate smoothly, if I can fix that, then great, if not maybe I will buy a new door from the Bronco graveyard. If I can use the hinge, then I will have to remove two rivets so the the hinge will sit flat against the door..

The hinge is probably too long, so maybe the rough spot is in a section you'll cut off?