Bullnose Forums

New member from Mill Creek WA

cjstaci

Wow! You have a LOT of work, and money, in the cars. :nabble_smiley_oh: As said, feel free to start documenting them if you want.

On the truck, I've never seen a hose used between the master and the proportioning valve. I suspect that was done by someone besides Ford.

If you are into it that far, you might consider going with a later model master, as shown below. (Photo credit to John/Machspeed.) John is/has done that on his truck, as described here, as I have on mine. It doesn't change the braking, but does eliminate the leaking cap on the old cast iron ones and allows you to see how much fluid you have with a glance.

I've never seen hoses between the master and proportioning valve. I thought someone other than ford did that until I saw the shop manual. Looking at the diagram on the right, it shows hoses for F250 and 350 4x4.

20210121_072202.jpg.c8c34a8f8bd6c9f246abec10e8a86973.jpg20210121_071921.jpg.c8ee6957aeacdcb35404c123d4533d14.jpg

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never seen hoses between the master and proportioning valve. I thought someone other than ford did that until I saw the shop manual. Looking at the diagram on the right, it shows hoses for F250 and 350 4x4.

I've never seen a 250/350 with a windowed frame rail either Staci, but there it is.

I've never seen a 250/350 with a windowed frame rail either Staci, but there it is.

I read that the 1980 and 81 had these windows and that by 1982 they stopped doing that. They were referred to as swiss cheese frames. There is a few openings that are 3/4" high x 1" long that I have noticed, but nothing like what the shop manual shows. My truck has a build date of 6/81, maybe as a late production 81 I have the later model frame.

My 80 has those rubber hoses but like you, I'd assumed they had been replaced by a PO.

My 80 has those rubber hoses but like you, I'd assumed they had been replaced by a PO.

I've looked but cannot find a listing for these hoses. There are teflon lined braided steel hoses readily available. The 81 shop manual show a couple of different hardline configurations as well, one with coiled line and one without. I don't know what the engineers were thinking, I can only guess that if they used a flexible hose, they have anticipated more movement then a hardline could provide. That's my 2 cents, for what it's worth.

I read that the 1980 and 81 had these windows and that by 1982 they stopped doing that. They were referred to as swiss cheese frames. There is a few openings that are 3/4" high x 1" long that I have noticed, but nothing like what the shop manual shows. My truck has a build date of 6/81, maybe as a late production 81 I have the later model frame.

Those are the F-100/F-150 'Swiss Cheese' frames, I believe.

250/350 use a thicker gauge of steel, and the C-C straight rail trucks use a thicker and narrower frame than the 350's

But I run into new things every day, so I'm not pontificating.

I've looked but cannot find a listing for these hoses. There are teflon lined braided steel hoses readily available. The 81 shop manual show a couple of different hardline configurations as well, one with coiled line and one without. I don't know what the engineers were thinking, I can only guess that if they used a flexible hose, they have anticipated more movement then a hardline could provide. That's my 2 cents, for what it's worth.

How do you intend to resolve this?

Galfer, Goodridge, Russell, Earl's?

Or just use a coil like most brake systems do?

How do you intend to resolve this?

Galfer, Goodridge, Russell, Earl's?

Or just use a coil like most brake systems do?

I am thinking of using pre made braided lines only because it's cheaper than buying all of the fittings in order to make custom length hoses. I thought about making hardline and coiling it, but if this is a good solution then I ask why didn't Ford do that. It certainly would have been cheaper than using hoses.

I am not an engineer, so, imo, I think it's best to go along with their design.

I am thinking of using pre made braided lines only because it's cheaper than buying all of the fittings in order to make custom length hoses. I thought about making hardline and coiling it, but if this is a good solution then I ask why didn't Ford do that. It certainly would have been cheaper than using hoses.

I am not an engineer, so, imo, I think it's best to go along with their design.

While I agree 100%, Gary, Bill and others have shown dozens of Ford's "Better Ideas" that weren't. :nabble_smiley_hurt:

Some may have to do with getting around patents, others just didn't work out as well in practice as they did on the drawing board.

I don't know if Aramid braid would be more resistant to abrasion and corrosion than stainless for you.

Certainly things like PTFE liners have progressed far from the hydraulic lines of WWII surplus.