Bullnose Forum

New member from Mill Creek WA

cjstaci

Yes, yes they are.

And that is why you'd need a low profile remote filter adapter instead of being able to install the angle filter adapter that 460 trucks get.

Or, the possibility exists you could get creative with a torch and hammer to cut and bash it into place.

Gary has a picture of my crossmember somewhere here on the forum.

Let me see if I can find it from my phone.

Or, the possibility exists you could get creative with a torch and hammer to cut and bash it into place.

Not sure where yours is, Jim. But we had a discussion recently on this in the aptly-named 460 Engine Crossmember thread. That link will take you to my pic of Big Blue's crossmember, below, and then some of Bill's pics.

Both_Shackle_Bolts_In.thumb.jpg.d1aad80d6207d65570cf7b1e83a918d0.jpg

Do you think Ford intentionally made things difficult to work on, or did they just get lucky,

Do you think Ford intentionally made things difficult to work on, or did they just get lucky,

I think in 1982 they listened to the customers complaining that they wanted their 460 back, so they dangled one from a shop crane and literally dropped it in. The crossmember was dented and they couldn't get to the bolt on the banjo, so they made adjustments.

But, someone had been schooling them for decades on how to make things hard for others. Whomever thought it would be a Better Idea to give every part two numbers and put the ID # not the part number on the part was 'round the bend. Oh, and only cross-reference the two numbers in an obscure book that few people have. :nabble_smiley_cry:

I think when Ford redesigned the frame for 1980, forcing all trucks to go with a rear sump oil pan they weren't offering the 460.

When they dropped the 335 series engines in '82 they needed a way to make the 460 fit under the hood.

So they put the angled adaptor on there and routed the lower radiator hose around the filter.

I think when Ford redesigned the frame for 1980, forcing all trucks to go with a rear sump oil pan they weren't offering the 460.

When they dropped the 335 series engines in '82 they needed a way to make the 460 fit under the hood.

So they put the angled adaptor on there and routed the lower radiator hose around the filter.

Back in the mid eighties I had a 77 f250 highboy. It had a tired 351m. I got a 68 tbird engine in trade for some work I did and that was an easy swap into the truck. That engine powered that truck effortlessly. I always liked the 385 series engine, it really was one of Fords better ideas. I've always liked the bullnose styling. That's why I bought this truck. I didn't realize how much different the chassis is compared to the previous generation. When I bought this, my thought was to put a big block in it and a Dana 60 front end. The 400 thats in it now runs so good, plugs are clean and it has nice steady 16in of vacuum at idle but it doesn't have the torque like a 429 or 460. Maybe a set of closed chamber heads and headers with dual exhaust would wake it up.

Anyway, I will probably just put a remote filter on it. I am going to retire in 3 years and most likely move to either Arizona or New Mexico, and build a huge garage so I can have room to work. Then I will restore it to my liking. In the meantime, I just want to keep it as a nice drivable truck.

By the way, the reason I like 429's so much is because the first one I had was a 70 torino cobra with the drag pack. The second one was a 69 Boss 429 that had the engine built by holmon&moody20190313_151549.thumb.jpg.371899ede088e0d6dfbd1d6f07a81518.jpg

Back in the mid eighties I had a 77 f250 highboy. It had a tired 351m. I got a 68 tbird engine in trade for some work I did and that was an easy swap into the truck. That engine powered that truck effortlessly. I always liked the 385 series engine, it really was one of Fords better ideas. I've always liked the bullnose styling. That's why I bought this truck. I didn't realize how much different the chassis is compared to the previous generation. When I bought this, my thought was to put a big block in it and a Dana 60 front end. The 400 thats in it now runs so good, plugs are clean and it has nice steady 16in of vacuum at idle but it doesn't have the torque like a 429 or 460. Maybe a set of closed chamber heads and headers with dual exhaust would wake it up.

Anyway, I will probably just put a remote filter on it. I am going to retire in 3 years and most likely move to either Arizona or New Mexico, and build a huge garage so I can have room to work. Then I will restore it to my liking. In the meantime, I just want to keep it as a nice drivable truck.

By the way, the reason I like 429's so much is because the first one I had was a 70 torino cobra with the drag pack. The second one was a 69 Boss 429 that had the engine built by holmon&moody20190313_151549.jpg.c6aae8ef74a3bb28662b2125a1804ddd.jpg

try this again, pictures didn't work so well with my phone.20190313_235012.jpg.f6d7a077331e6020d497f9a12c3648f4.jpg20190313_151549.jpg.c6aae8ef74a3bb28662b2125a1804ddd.jpg