Bullnose Forums

Cab wiring - new vs reusing old

delco1946

I get many of my parts used from the junkyard but one item that seems good to buy new is wiring. Between the rubber coating and plastic connectors getting brittle and the metal slowly corroding and increasing in resistance, I’m not sure about going with “used”.

I just pulled a section of wiring that plugs in near the base of the drivers foot vent, runs under the scuff plate/ threshold and then plugs into the wire’s running up the rear corner to the dome and map lights ( as well as connecting to the drivers seatbelt). It has broken continuity in one of the wires. I tried googling wire harness but that seems a term more specific to the engine wiring. Where do y’all get interior cab wiring, and can I buy such a small single piece (I’m seeing mostly complete wiring sets for sale). I’d prefer not to spend hundreds lol.

Nothing was really popping up so I’m curious what others do. worst case I’ll just get used, but I’m sure 40 year old wiring that’s getting wet from owners boots, leaking cabs etc wouldn’t last all that long.

I've not see anyone with that harness new. Some, like Painless, have some of the other harnii, like DS-II ignition wiring, but I don't think anyone has the harness you need.

If it was me and I couldn't find an acceptable one from the salvage I'd make one from my existing harness. There are tools that will let you remove the pins from the connectors, and in most cases you can get new pins. Or you can un-crimp an existing pin, remove the wire, put a new wire in, and crimp and then solder it. And if you are sparing with the solder you can get the pin back in the connector.

That stretch of wiring does not have an easy life. Often entirely embedded in dirt and mud.

I agree with Gary - if you can't find one from the jy that's in good/great shape, I'd find some good connectors and make your own harness.

Those connectors are generally protected from direct sunlight so you should be able to find some good ones. If not you can find them or some very similar up under the dash.

Then get some wedgelock terminals for your new wiring and repin the terminals.

That stretch of wiring does not have an easy life. Often entirely embedded in dirt and mud.

I agree with Gary - if you can't find one from the jy that's in good/great shape, I'd find some good connectors and make your own harness.

Those connectors are generally protected from direct sunlight so you should be able to find some good ones. If not you can find them or some very similar up under the dash.

Then get some wedgelock terminals for your new wiring and repin the terminals.

Well i'm getting better about trying to achieve perfection which often means no progress rather than "perfect" progress - since there doesn't appear to be a new version of this I could just buy I went and found the break in the wire (right at the connector itself) and soldered in a piece of new wire and soldered this to the pin and re-assembled everything. Almost good as new. Voltage was measuring around ~11.5 so there is some drop (resistance) from the battery but i'm not too worried for now.

I now have map lights and my seatbelt buzzer circuits up and running!

This does have me looking at the rear corner of my cab and wondering how water drains out....? There was some caked up mud and gunk there which I kind of want to flush and scrub but I cant really see how water is supposed to exit which has me worried. I know water sneaks its way inside the cab outer wall and inner wall - didn't Ford anticipate this and place drain holes somewhere? I did see small rubber stoppers about nickel sized on the inner cab floor in the rear corners - has anyone popped these open? or is this just a bad idea.....

Well i'm getting better about trying to achieve perfection which often means no progress rather than "perfect" progress - since there doesn't appear to be a new version of this I could just buy I went and found the break in the wire (right at the connector itself) and soldered in a piece of new wire and soldered this to the pin and re-assembled everything. Almost good as new. Voltage was measuring around ~11.5 so there is some drop (resistance) from the battery but i'm not too worried for now.

I now have map lights and my seatbelt buzzer circuits up and running!

This does have me looking at the rear corner of my cab and wondering how water drains out....? There was some caked up mud and gunk there which I kind of want to flush and scrub but I cant really see how water is supposed to exit which has me worried. I know water sneaks its way inside the cab outer wall and inner wall - didn't Ford anticipate this and place drain holes somewhere? I did see small rubber stoppers about nickel sized on the inner cab floor in the rear corners - has anyone popped these open? or is this just a bad idea.....

Glad you got it going. :nabble_smiley_good:

As for water, it isn't supposed to come in, so there's no need for it to go out. :nabble_smiley_wink:

I just pulled a section of wiring that plugs in near the base of the drivers foot vent, runs under the scuff plate/ threshold and then plugs into the wire’s running up the rear corner to the dome and map lights ( as well as connecting to the drivers seatbelt). It has broken continuity in one of the wires. I tried googling wire harness but that seems a term more specific to the engine wiring. Where do y’all get interior cab wiring, and can I buy such a small single piece (I’m seeing mostly complete wiring sets for sale). I’d prefer not to spend hundreds lol.

This is from a 1990... does the one in your truck look similar?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/90-91-FORD-F250-F350-REGULAR-CAB-UNDER-CARPET-FLOOR-WIRE-HARNESS-OEM/324290165710?hash=item4b81333bce:g:gnwAAOSwW5dfWVvb

This is from a 1990... does the one in your truck look similar?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/90-91-FORD-F250-F350-REGULAR-CAB-UNDER-CARPET-FLOOR-WIRE-HARNESS-OEM/324290165710?hash=item4b81333bce:g:gnwAAOSwW5dfWVvb

It does! I might avoid spending 80 bucks since I just fixed it, but I didn't realize that the wiring would be so similar in later year models. I think i'll start checking the junkyards for trucks in the 1990-1996 time frame for future wiring. It won't be new but it would still be about a decade younger than mine!

It does! I might avoid spending 80 bucks since I just fixed it, but I didn't realize that the wiring would be so similar in later year models. I think i'll start checking the junkyards for trucks in the 1990-1996 time frame for future wiring. It won't be new but it would still be about a decade younger than mine!

If you have water in the B pillar it's likely from the rain gutter, or the seam from there to the rear window.

John (Machspeed) recently showed how he wire brushed the cracked caulk out of the seams and repainted those areas.

I found an odd spot of rust through in the door jamb spot weld seam, where my seam wasn't caulked at the top, allowing water from outside the door seal to run down in there.

Anyway I cut it out and welded in a patch before caulking it up right.