Bullnose Forums

Ford Electrical Connectors....ARGHHH!!!

Machspeed

I detest these connectors, but maybe I'm just not smart enough to figure out how to disconnect them? This is the connector that feeds my alternator and I'd really like to remove it and clean it up in there before I do the 3G alternator mod. Any tips on how to get this apart?

IMG_13922009.jpg.9fe5f97dfb15bf3a2916421515c37e5b.jpg

They are a PAIN! And I frequently break a tab.

Anyway, on some of them you slip a really small screwdriver in an lever them apart. Pull on the wires as well.

I feel like I need three hands to do it. In fact, I'm bleeding right now from a smaller connecter I removed. It's never been taken apart, wondering if I could spray some PB Blaster in there to loosen it up?

I feel like I need three hands to do it. In fact, I'm bleeding right now from a smaller connecter I removed. It's never been taken apart, wondering if I could spray some PB Blaster in there to loosen it up?

I'm bleeding right now from cleaning up an air inlet I needed to show someone how little room there is under the hood of these things, so I can sympathize with you.

A third, and even a fourth, hand would be handy (get it?) on these connectors. They really are a pain.

As for PB Blaster, I doubt it'll help but I don't believe it'll hurt if you then clean the connector well.

I detest these connectors, but maybe I'm just not smart enough to figure out how to disconnect them? This is the connector that feeds my alternator and I'd really like to remove it and clean it up in there before I do the 3G alternator mod. Any tips on how to get this apart?

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n85568/IMG_1392%5B2009%5D.jpg

That is the one connector I ended up deleting on my '84. Once I did get it apart, it was all corroded so I cut it off and wired everything back up without it.

But yes...they are no fun to pull apart, and I usually break them.

I don't think I'd try anything with solvent, John.

If the plastic inside there starts to melt its going to be welded together.

Do you have any light oil or silicone spray with a straw?

I don't think I'd try anything with solvent, John.

If the plastic inside there starts to melt its going to be welded together.

Do you have any light oil or silicone spray with a straw?

Success! Before I posted I sprayed it with the stuff you clean electrical connectors with but it wouldn't budge. After my whining here and the application of a band aide, I went back out and sprayed the sucker with WD-40 and opened up the two clips with a couple of finish nails I use in my finish gun for trim. Dang thing easily pulled out. Concerned that the WD-40 would eat at the plastic, I quickly cleaned it with the electrical connector cleaner. Jim, think your're right about the PB Blaster. I read the can and it may have been a problem on that plastic. Didn't note any warning on the WD-40.

IMG_1393.thumb.jpg.0880dae8b42513410dd5c7ef214fa08f.jpg

IMG_1396.thumb.jpg.cbbb89fbdada6b6446e6dcd26d3746e1.jpg

Success! Before I posted I sprayed it with the stuff you clean electrical connectors with but it wouldn't budge. After my whining here and the application of a band aide, I went back out and sprayed the sucker with WD-40 and opened up the two clips with a couple of finish nails I use in my finish gun for trim. Dang thing easily pulled out. Concerned that the WD-40 would eat at the plastic, I quickly cleaned it with the electrical connector cleaner. Jim, think your're right about the PB Blaster. I read the can and it may have been a problem on that plastic. Didn't note any warning on the WD-40.

Well done! I like the finish nail idea. I've used small screwdrivers and they keep slipping, so I think I'll adopt your plan, Stan.

When you put them back together they should have some goo in there to prevent moisture from getting in. I suspect dielectric grease would be the best, but I've used a very thin coat of aluminum-based anti-seize applied with a Q-Tip. I just coat the male prongs and that seems to let things come apart easier next time as well.

Well done! I like the finish nail idea. I've used small screwdrivers and they keep slipping, so I think I'll adopt your plan, Stan.

When you put them back together they should have some goo in there to prevent moisture from getting in. I suspect dielectric grease would be the best, but I've used a very thin coat of aluminum-based anti-seize applied with a Q-Tip. I just coat the male prongs and that seems to let things come apart easier next time as well.

Had planned to coat it with dilectric grease. I was really surprised how easy it came out after I sprayed it with WD-40. Not sure it was whole fully the lubricant but it sure did come out smoothly. Almost busted a knuckled against the valve cover pulling on it too hard.

Orignaly the meaning of WD in WD-40 was Water Despersing. I have seen it used in distrubiter caps to get the water out and get it to run.