Bullnose Forums

3G advice

Tyler

Wow, a lot of discussion has happened since I went to work! Fuse harness from Painless was on my doorstep and the alternator will be here tomorrow so I can get that started.

And, if you saw my other thread...all this lack of power actually came from me having a different issue which is probably a ground or lack thereof. :nabble_smiley_blush:

Once the truck comes back from the exhaust shop tomorrow morning, I'll do some more troubleshooting with my taillights.

I actually think the 1G would have hacked it just fine with the Sniper and fuel pump.

Thanks for all the info. I'm loving this group!

Good for you, Tyler! Keep us posted on this if you will. Say, will your new alternator be on a single V belt pulley?

You need to understand the difference between resistive and inductive load....

Yes, of course output is load based. That's the point of having a regulator, not just a Load Response Control regulator.

Tyler should get a 3G because it will put out as much at idle as his 1G can at redline.

I don't care what the regulator is calling for, the 1G is gutless until it is spinning something like 8,000 rpm (alternator RPM)

The reason for the 130A 3G is not "130A!", it's the 100A available at idle.

The 1G was introduced in the 1964 1/2 Mustang.

A lot happened in the 26 years between that and the introduction of the 3G.

The alternator puts out set point voltage.

Amperage is simply how much current at that voltage is required to keep the volts at the set point of the regulator (in my case 14.35V)

Gary has a degree in this stuff.

I'm not an EE, but I do have a grasp how a simple alternator works.

You don't need the 8.25" ear spacing if you're using the smaller body (135mm) 95A 3G.

But you're not going to get 100A at idle from the smaller output 3G either, and the smaller fans and rectifier board heatsink are going to have it running much hotter than a 130 at the same load.

Of course the 3G is the way to go regardless just for the fact that they put out more amperage at lower speeds than the old 1G units. Just like the 130A 3G unit will run cooler and last longer than a 95A 3G unit since its working at a lower duty cycle than a smaller alternator would operate at.

Kinda why I am set on the 130A for myself as well only benefit the 95A would give me is not having to worry about ever slipping the belt. But Goodyear does sell V belts that have improved grip just have to know which belt to get to get the proper fit for the pulley. I temporarily gave up on this task as I couldnt get help from Goodyear directly and think its because of the virus. I will have to revisit it at a later date but Goodyear does seem to have some belts that should grip a lot better and help reduce slippage and just because the belt is not making noise doesnt mean the belt isnt slipping

Gary,

It is because the larger body of the 130A 3G -when combined with- the shorter 'arms' of a 7"C-C puts the alternator too 'deep in the pocket' to give you any appreciable adjustment.

Imagine trying to pass a fat man in a narrow hallway, or something like that.

As for not selling an alternator with LRC regulator. I don't know what to say....

The one I bought recently had one installed.

I had preemptively bought a new LRC regulator, intending to swap it out, but instead it was relegated to the parts box (until you asked for it)

I linked the one I'd purchased noting the fact of the odd packing and that it came with one.

Hi Gary, Do you know who sells an LRC regulator like you have, for my 200 amp 3G alternator? I have looked online but all I can find is rebuilt ones or lots of china junk. Thank you. Dan

Hi Gary, Do you know who sells an LRC regulator like you have, for my 200 amp 3G alternator? I have looked online but all I can find is rebuilt ones or lots of china junk. Thank you. Dan

Dan - My go-to place for alternator parts has been National Quick Start and they show a # F795 - Voltage Regulator, 12 Volt, A-Circuit, I-S-A Terminals, 14.6 Vset, 2.5 second LRC, For Ford 3G Series Alternators, and for $33.95 I'd hope it isn't Chinese. :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

Dan - My go-to place for alternator parts has been National Quick Start and they show a # F795 - Voltage Regulator, 12 Volt, A-Circuit, I-S-A Terminals, 14.6 Vset, 2.5 second LRC, For Ford 3G Series Alternators, and for $33.95 I'd hope it isn't Chinese. http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/thinking-26_orig.jpg

If you want genuine parts why not get it from one of the online Ford dealers? Tasca?

Ford probably has them a

I'm not sure what F4ZU-10316-AC becomes as a part number, but that is a good engineering number.

As is F5RZ-1316-A

Here's the tag off the box I got from DB Electrical.

IMG_20200814_202055.thumb.jpg.fb6a037d8afbc29f93b7e38cdb22b6f2.jpg

If you want genuine parts why not get it from one of the online Ford dealers? Tasca?

Ford probably has them a

I'm not sure what F4ZU-10316-AC becomes as a part number, but that is a good engineering number.

As is F5RZ-1316-A

Here's the tag off the box I got from DB Electrical.

Ok, strike that.

It seems that both regulators are discontinued and no longer available from Ford.

https://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts/ford-regulator-asy-volt_f5rz-10316-a.html

Ok, strike that.

It seems that both regulators are discontinued and no longer available from Ford.

https://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts/ford-regulator-asy-volt_f5rz-10316-a.html

DB told me they aren't selling the LRC regulators bare, so it looks like National Quick Start then. I remember researching this back when I was doing the alternator for Dad's truck and NQS was one of the few places that had them. Or, maybe I should say "will sell them". DB must have them.

DB told me they aren't selling the LRC regulators bare, so it looks like National Quick Start then. I remember researching this back when I was doing the alternator for Dad's truck and NQS was one of the few places that had them. Or, maybe I should say "will sell them". DB must have them.

I imagine anything from DB is 'China junk'

The one I sent you is definitely a refurb from Rotating Electrical Products.

Maybe NQS sources their regulators from a U.S. manufacturer?

I can't say.

I imagine anything from DB is 'China junk'

The one I sent you is definitely a refurb from Rotating Electrical Products.

Maybe NQS sources their regulators from a U.S. manufacturer?

I can't say.

Nor can I. But you'd hope that a regulator that costs half as much as a complete alternator would be American made.