Bullnose Forums

3G advice

Tyler

Alright. Up and running on 3G. I received clarity from Gary and figured out where my hang up was. It was in my brain...

I ended up merging the big fat yellow wire with the yel/white from the alternator and connecting to the alternator side of the mega fuse block. This is the same place the alternator power outlet cable is connected.

The two wires that go to the ammeter were cut (on the alternator side of the plug connector) and zip tied up, connected to nothing.

The rest is out of the Painless and 3G directions.

I found that my fuseable link wire was fried, so not sure how everything was working correctly before but glad to have found and eliminated a future problem.

I also had to use longer v-belts since I bought the large case alternator. The belts come close to the top mounting bolt head but there is no contact. I did not use a shim behind the v-belt pulley and it does not contact the case. I did not tap the tension bolt out to the old size. I used a bolt that fit instead. Hope it doesn't slip.

You want the big yellow cab wire on the fused side of the fuse block, or attached to the starter relay hot side.

If it's on the alternator output side of the fuse it isn't protected at all.

You want the big yellow cab wire on the fused side of the fuse block, or attached to the starter relay hot side.

So, you don't see this on the test page?

DB_Electrical_Alternator_Test_Results_-_Soft_Start.thumb.jpg.dc256485c13cad4473c96f1a91481c30.jpg

Can you tell me what numbers are on the regulator case?

Fixed. Makes sense. That IS what Gary said to do...:nabble_anim_crazy:

Fixed. Makes sense. That IS what Gary said to do...:nabble_anim_crazy:

Right out of the box

Alt_test_sheet.jpg.52fd45ce389aabf542ac82003c479d8e.jpg

Right out of the box

Thank you for that.

That's odd! And I'm really sorry if I've steered anyone wrong with my prior posts. :nabble_smiley_blush:

I try to document things, so I'm not leading anyone astray.

I'll have to look up the numbers on your regulator.

Output looks good!

If your engine has the same 3:1 pulley ratio mine does and assuming idle of 600 rpm it looks like you should be able to put out 80+ amps without touching the throttle.

That's definitely more than my 2G was rated for at redline.

Very clean installation! :nabble_smiley_cool:

Anyway, you shouldn't have any problem with the battery going low or the lights you plan to install. :nabble_smiley_good:

Final of installation. Sniper fuse and relay mounted next to the mega fuse.

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n86480/Alt_wiring.jpg

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n86480/Alt_Installed.jpg

Looks good. Im thinking of making a bracket off my charcoal canister mounting plate to mount my mega fuse down low. Will help hide it from view and remove a lot of clutter from being up high. Would just have to simply run the wire from the mega fuse up to the solenoid.

Also wish I could run dual V belts on my setup but I will have to live with a single V belt.

On the Sniper wiring, I am trying to get in touch with Holley to see what kind of pins they use in their harness, I want to depin the connector and make my own harness using a relay/fuse box I am sourcing off the web to contain everything in a nice OE looking housing.

Thank you for that.

That's odd! And I'm really sorry if I've steered anyone wrong with my prior posts. :nabble_smiley_blush:

I try to document things, so I'm not leading anyone astray.

I'll have to look up the numbers on your regulator.

Output looks good!

If your engine has the same 3:1 pulley ratio mine does and assuming idle of 600 rpm it looks like you should be able to put out 80+ amps without touching the throttle.

That's definitely more than my 2G was rated for at redline.

Very clean installation! :nabble_smiley_cool:

Anyway, you shouldn't have any problem with the battery going low or the lights you plan to install. :nabble_smiley_good:

I certainly appreciate all the patience and help from everyone in this group!

On to the ball joints, front brake pads, rotors and springs aaannd....axle pivot bushings.

Final of installation. Sniper fuse and relay mounted next to the mega fuse.

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n86480/Alt_wiring.jpg

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n86480/Alt_Installed.jpg

Looks good. Im thinking of making a bracket off my charcoal canister mounting plate to mount my mega fuse down low. Will help hide it from view and remove a lot of clutter from being up high. Would just have to simply run the wire from the mega fuse up to the solenoid.

Also wish I could run dual V belts on my setup but I will have to live with a single V belt.

On the Sniper wiring, I am trying to get in touch with Holley to see what kind of pins they use in their harness, I want to depin the connector and make my own harness using a relay/fuse box I am sourcing off the web to contain everything in a nice OE looking housing.

Great ideas!