Bullnose Forums

3G advice

Tyler

Good for you, Tyler! Keep us posted on this if you will. Say, will your new alternator be on a single V belt pulley?

Just saw this....no I have a double v belt pulley. My install is complete with exception of the yellow and green wires coming from the alternator. I logged on to figure out the "fat yellow wire" and the "don't melt your dash harness and start a fire with the ammeter" stuff.

Trying to sort it out without asking questions. Seems like I should be smart enough to look at the Documentation page and this thread and be done already but.... I'm not done yet.

I almost cut out the OEM plug on the truck harness side, not the alternator side.

Good for you, Tyler! Keep us posted on this if you will. Say, will your new alternator be on a single V belt pulley?

Just saw this....no I have a double v belt pulley. My install is complete with exception of the yellow and green wires coming from the alternator. I logged on to figure out the "fat yellow wire" and the "don't melt your dash harness and start a fire with the ammeter" stuff.

Trying to sort it out without asking questions. Seems like I should be smart enough to look at the Documentation page and this thread and be done already but.... I'm not done yet.

I almost cut out the OEM plug on the truck harness side, not the alternator side.

So, what's the question, Ty?

So, what's the question, Ty?

Alright. Up and running on 3G. I received clarity from Gary and figured out where my hang up was. It was in my brain...

I ended up merging the big fat yellow wire with the yel/white from the alternator and connecting to the alternator side of the mega fuse block. This is the same place the alternator power outlet cable is connected.

The two wires that go to the ammeter were cut (on the alternator side of the plug connector) and zip tied up, connected to nothing.

The rest is out of the Painless and 3G directions.

I found that my fuseable link wire was fried, so not sure how everything was working correctly before but glad to have found and eliminated a future problem.

I also had to use longer v-belts since I bought the large case alternator. The belts come close to the top mounting bolt head but there is no contact. I did not use a shim behind the v-belt pulley and it does not contact the case. I did not tap the tension bolt out to the old size. I used a bolt that fit instead. Hope it doesn't slip.

Alright. Up and running on 3G. I received clarity from Gary and figured out where my hang up was. It was in my brain...

I ended up merging the big fat yellow wire with the yel/white from the alternator and connecting to the alternator side of the mega fuse block. This is the same place the alternator power outlet cable is connected.

The two wires that go to the ammeter were cut (on the alternator side of the plug connector) and zip tied up, connected to nothing.

The rest is out of the Painless and 3G directions.

I found that my fuseable link wire was fried, so not sure how everything was working correctly before but glad to have found and eliminated a future problem.

I also had to use longer v-belts since I bought the large case alternator. The belts come close to the top mounting bolt head but there is no contact. I did not use a shim behind the v-belt pulley and it does not contact the case. I did not tap the tension bolt out to the old size. I used a bolt that fit instead. Hope it doesn't slip.

Yippee! Glad it is working. You are going to love having strong output at idle.

Do the belts squeal on startup? Or, did you get the LRC regulator?

Yippee! Glad it is working. You are going to love having strong output at idle.

Do the belts squeal on startup? Or, did you get the LRC regulator?

I bought the 0028 model referenced in the Documentation page. No squeal on startup. The test sheet from the box didn't mention a delay though.