Bullnose Forum

3G advice

Tyler

Well done! Looks great and is going to put out more at idle that the original alternator ever could at full tilt. :nabble_smiley_good:

I went for a long drive today. When I came home I checked the alternator and it was pretty hot on the back side near the exhaust manifold. I have nothing to compare the temp to. I could barely keep my hand on the wire plug and case. This means it was probably not much over 140F if any.

Have there been any issues with 3G upgrades and overheating the wires? I didn't see any when researching. It was a pretty cool day today so I worry about those 100 degree summer days.

Might look into a heat wrap.

I went for a long drive today. When I came home I checked the alternator and it was pretty hot on the back side near the exhaust manifold. I have nothing to compare the temp to. I could barely keep my hand on the wire plug and case. This means it was probably not much over 140F if any.

Have there been any issues with 3G upgrades and overheating the wires? I didn't see any when researching. It was a pretty cool day today so I worry about those 100 degree summer days.

Might look into a heat wrap.

The back is hot because the windings and rectifier board are shedding heat and the fans inside the case are expelling it your the back.

I'm not sure about proximity to the exhaust of a 300.

What wires?

The harness doesn't carry substantial current.

Some foil faced sleeve couldn't hurt.

The cable should be rated for the fuse and the length.

i.e. 175A can use 3' of #2 wire, but not 10' of #2

The back is hot because the windings and rectifier board are shedding heat and the fans inside the case are expelling it your the back.

What wires?

Jim - The back is close to the exhaust manifold, as is the wiring.

Ty - Can you get a shield in between? A simple piece of aluminum half the distance would make a huge difference.

Ty - Can you get a shield in between? A simple piece of aluminum half the distance would make a huge difference.

Oops - Ty, I tagged you in a new thread I've started about changes to the 3G page. Can you take a look here: http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Help-On-3G-Page-td86569.html

What wires?

The regulator and it's plug of wires get pretty hot. I'll just keep an eye on it. Might wrap the manifold if I can or fab a heat shield as Gary suggesed. The back of the alternator is only about 1.5" from the manifold.

Alt_and_exh.jpg.5f273457b21434fe95b749aec29d22ba.jpg

Right Gary.

But it's not any closer than every other 300 with EFI manifolds on the planet.

I'm not about to bicker

I'm tired of it

• 3 weeks later...

Right Gary.

But it's not any closer than every other 300 with EFI manifolds on the planet.

I'm not about to bicker

I'm tired of it

I found an old thread referencing a Motorcraft regulator with a LRC from Ebay. I have one in my cart.

Anything I need to consider before I buy and install into my DB alternator?

Not fond of the squeal...

I found an old thread referencing a Motorcraft regulator with a LRC from Ebay. I have one in my cart.

I have a 2-second LRC, if I remember correctly, and it solved the squeal problem. I say go for it. And it is a very easy installation.

Just be aware that the brushes are pinned back so you can get it installed, and that the brushes in your 'old' regulator may hang up or fly free as you remove it.

Remove the shipping pins only after it is secured in place.