Bullnose Forums

Help choosing a replacement carburetor

Steve - Your namesake was right in all he typed. So first, did you read the guidelines? We ask people to go to the New Members Start Here folder as the guidelines are front and center there and we don't want people to miss them.

Second, do you want to be put on the map? It is at Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu. All we need is a city or a zip

And, you've updated your signature so you are ahead of me there.

On the carb, in '85 a 351W could have come two ways:

• 2bbl w/a feedback carb and the EEC ignition system with a computer under the dash

• 4bbl and DS-II system and no computer

Do you know which you had? You should be able to tell from the VIN, which shows on the Certification Label on the driver's door jamb. The 8th digit gives the engine code, with a G indicating a 351W 2bbl and an H representing a 351W 4bbl.

Welcome!!!

Thanks everyone for the welcomes and for giving me a lot of good questions that I need to find the answers to. I now know one thing that I didn't yesterday: The VIN has an H, so my truck had the 4bbl and DS-II system and no computer.

I will find out what model Edelbrock carb is on there now, as it sounds like maybe it doesn't need to be replaced if the other, related issues are addressed.

Gary, I'll read the guidelines and add myself to the map. And I'll post photos and update everyone on my progress some point soon.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve - Your namesake was right in all he typed. So first, did you read the guidelines? We ask people to go to the New Members Start Here folder as the guidelines are front and center there and we don't want people to miss them.

Second, do you want to be put on the map? It is at Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu. All we need is a city or a zip

And, you've updated your signature so you are ahead of me there.

On the carb, in '85 a 351W could have come two ways:

• 2bbl w/a feedback carb and the EEC ignition system with a computer under the dash

• 4bbl and DS-II system and no computer

Do you know which you had? You should be able to tell from the VIN, which shows on the Certification Label on the driver's door jamb. The 8th digit gives the engine code, with a G indicating a 351W 2bbl and an H representing a 351W 4bbl.

Welcome!!!

Gary, my city and zip are: Renovo, Pennsylvania 17764

Gary, my city and zip are: Renovo, Pennsylvania 17764

So, My question would have to be is, Did you know about the adapter kit from Edelbrock that makes it where you can hook up the linkage for passing gear?

We had to do this when we put the carb and manifold on my sons pickup. It has a 351C and a C6 trans.

https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/157301/10002/-1?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIson6n9OM7gIVOYlbCh0Z0gliEAQYASABEgI_x_D_BwE

So, My question would have to be is, Did you know about the adapter kit from Edelbrock that makes it where you can hook up the linkage for passing gear?

We had to do this when we put the carb and manifold on my sons pickup. It has a 351C and a C6 trans.

https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/157301/10002/-1?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIson6n9OM7gIVOYlbCh0Z0gliEAQYASABEgI_x_D_BwE

I did read a little about adaptors for the linkage. I will definitely need one. Thank you for the link!

By 1985, most models with the 5.8/351 engine had a 4-barrel carburetor from the factory. They were known as 5.8L 4V H.O. engines. These engines had a DuraSpark II ignition and no EEC-IV controls. If your engine has a stock Ford 4-barrel intake manifold under that Edelbrock carburetor and a square ignition module bolted to the driver's side inner fender, then this is what you have.

If you would like to get it closer to stock - which is what I would do if you want to make things easier on yourself and pass emissions inspections - I would purchase the correct carburetor for it. The stock carburetor for these engines was the Motorcraft [Holley] 4180. This is the same carburetor the mighty Mustang GT used from 1983 - 1985, so it is a very good carburetor. It will have all of the correct linkages and connections on it you need to hook up your stock emissions equipment.

I took the liberty of checking RockAuto and found one for you:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1125150&cc=1121588&jsn=946&jsn=946

For further reading, here is a detailed article on the Motorcraft [Holley] 4180:

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/3-years-5-0l-high-output-fitted-holley-4180c-carburetor/

By 1985, most models with the 5.8/351 engine had a 4-barrel carburetor from the factory. They were known as 5.8L 4V H.O. engines. These engines had a DuraSpark II ignition and no EEC-IV controls. If your engine has a stock Ford 4-barrel intake manifold under that Edelbrock carburetor and a square ignition module bolted to the driver's side inner fender, then this is what you have.

If you would like to get it closer to stock - which is what I would do if you want to make things easier on yourself and pass emissions inspections - I would purchase the correct carburetor for it. The stock carburetor for these engines was the Motorcraft [Holley] 4180. This is the same carburetor the mighty Mustang GT used from 1983 - 1985, so it is a very good carburetor. It will have all of the correct linkages and connections on it you need to hook up your stock emissions equipment.

I took the liberty of checking RockAuto and found one for you:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1125150&cc=1121588&jsn=946&jsn=946

For further reading, here is a detailed article on the Motorcraft [Holley] 4180:

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/3-years-5-0l-high-output-fitted-holley-4180c-carburetor/

Thank you for all the info. Will find out if the intake manifold and ignition module are stock and read up on the Holley 4180. Really appreciate it!!

Thank you for all the info. Will find out if the intake manifold and ignition module are stock and read up on the Holley 4180. Really appreciate it!!

The 4180 is a peculiar carb.

I had one on my '85 Mustang, and my '87 f-250 as well.

They are jetted VERY lean.

The early ones had "4 corner idle"... there were mixture screws for each barrel.

(Consider the implications of that!)

Later ones like on the truck only had two mixture screws in the front.

Covered by hardened steel plugs to comply with federal "tamper proof" mandate.

Front and rear bowls had large elbow vent tubes that connected to the dual charcoal canisters by way of vacuum actuated check valves.

If you use a 4180 you're going to need all this emissions stuff installed.

Also note the carb body itself has different passages and a fixed metering plate front and rear.

You aren't able to change any jets in order to tune them.

So without a calibration code for your engine (or the blue anodized tag off the stock carb) it is going to be a challenge to get an exact match for which carburetor came on your engine.

With a calibration code and a VIN, Gary may be able to give you a part number for the 4180 you need.

But you're going to be stuck with whatever tune it has.