Bullnose Forums

Help choosing a replacement carburetor

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should be able to tell from the VIN, which shows on the Certification Label on the driver's door jamb. The 8th digit gives the engine code, with a G indicating a 351W 2bbl and an H representing a 351W 4bbl.

Hi Gary,

In BigBrother, the motor is not the original one (I swapped it around 2013, was rebuilt in 2015). It is a 351w 4v.

Went to NAPA Auto Parts in order to renew distribution cap and rotor, the guy asked me if "code H or G". Since the motor is a replacement one (and the VIN certainly went out during the restoration), can I assume that a 4v is necessarily a Code H?

Thanks!

You should be able to tell from the VIN, which shows on the Certification Label on the driver's door jamb. The 8th digit gives the engine code, with a G indicating a 351W 2bbl and an H representing a 351W 4bbl.

Hi Gary,

In BigBrother, the motor is not the original one (I swapped it around 2013, was rebuilt in 2015). It is a 351w 4v.

Went to NAPA Auto Parts in order to renew distribution cap and rotor, the guy asked me if "code H or G". Since the motor is a replacement one (and the VIN certainly went out during the restoration), can I assume that a 4v is necessarily a Code H?

Thanks!

Yes, you can tell him that it is an H.

engine-codes_orig.thumb.jpg.62810339a497bfc3c382eab000ba4a3d.jpg

Welcome, Steve.

I actually have the same question, but I have a 400M. I was thinking of maybe getting the manual choke edlebrock performer. If anyone has suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

- Jason

I ran an Edelbrock intake and 600 CFM Performer carb on a warmed up 351M and it ran great. All the carb that engine needed.

And I ran the same carb on Big Blue for a bit and it worked fine, but the 750 CFM has more high-end power so that's what I'm running.

I think a 600 is probably adequate for a stock 400. (There's no "M" on a 400. There was no other 400 so Ford saw no need to add an alpha suffix for it like the did with the 351's.)

I ran an Edelbrock intake and 600 CFM Performer carb on a warmed up 351M and it ran great. All the carb that engine needed.

And I ran the same carb on Big Blue for a bit and it worked fine, but the 750 CFM has more high-end power so that's what I'm running.

I think a 600 is probably adequate for a stock 400. (There's no "M" on a 400. There was no other 400 so Ford saw no need to add an alpha suffix for it like the did with the 351's.)

If you daily it and don't care about power get an Edelbroken, if you like having adjustable everything and don't mind playing with said adjustments and want max power go with a Holley style carb.

• 3 weeks later...

If you daily it and don't care about power get an Edelbroken, if you like having adjustable everything and don't mind playing with said adjustments and want max power go with a Holley style carb.

personally i just prefer the holley . however the edelbrock avs2 is an excellent choice. drive ability is good . i generally will use 600cfm with a 5.0 and 750 on 5.8. holley is what ford used on the 4v models and i like to use the oem ones when i can.

personally i just prefer the holley . however the edelbrock avs2 is an excellent choice. drive ability is good . i generally will use 600cfm with a 5.0 and 750 on 5.8. holley is what ford used on the 4v models and i like to use the oem ones when i can.

And I prefer anything but a Holley. I've had way too many power valve, accelerator pump, and bowl gasket problems. So I like the set and forget approach that the Carterbrocks give for anything but racing. However, if I was racing I'd probably go with a Holley.

On carb sizing, the Holley 4180-C that Ford used on the 302HO, 351HO, and 460 is rated at just 600 CFM. And while I'm running a 750 Eddy on Big Blue at the moment, I did prove that he'd run just fine with a 600 CFM Eddy. In fact, the only difference I could tell is when he was winding up, and there the 750 had a bit more.

As I stated earlier in this thread, I really like my Edlebrock 1406. It's been a great carb, easy to work on, reliable, no issues. As the AVS version has annular discharge, I wondered if my 1406 could be converted to annular discharge. In a web search that lead me down many paths, not finding what I was looking for, I did stumble on an interesting option in the Summit M2008. This was originally developed by Holley but then dumped for a few reasons and then picked up by Summit and modified. The reviews on this carb are very good and it has a lot of nice things about it including annular discharge. Yes, it still has the old power valve for which many complain about, but for some that is just not an issue. Based off what I read, if I were looking at purchasing a new 600 CFM carb, I might just take a chance on this.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-m08600vs