Bullnose Forums

Fixing Eddie

firefire

Hi.

Tested the mls gasket today. I could not see traces of a leak on the one I took out. But there is the same sound with the mls gasket too. I disconnected ps, alternator and ac just to make sure they did not cause the noice. And they did not ☚ī¸đŸ˜Š. I fixed the leak from the nipple with a new cap and gasket sealant. It was a very tiny hole in the end of that nipple. Like a needle point. I guess your fix will be more enduring. I also replaced the hose to the expansion tank. I am a little lost considering the exhaust leak. Will try to loosen the bolts a bit and see/ hear what happens.

The trip to the alps will be Germany, Switzerland, Italy and Austria. The Garda sea, Dolomits, several mountain passes. We will start from Oslo with ColorLine to Kiel 21. of June. The tour will be 3 weeks.

Greetings Stein

Hi.

I believe I found the problem.After loosening the bolts with the motor running the ticking sound slowly almost vanished. So a little careful tuning of the bolts cured the problem. I had certainly tightened the bolts to much. Actually so much I was not able to torque them more.

Greetings Stein

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi.

I believe I found the problem.After loosening the bolts with the motor running the ticking sound slowly almost vanished. So a little careful tuning of the bolts cured the problem. I had certainly tightened the bolts to much. Actually so much I was not able to torque them more.

Greetings Stein

Glad you found it! Did you torque the bolts in a sequence? I think I'd start in the center and spiral out. But hopefully what you've done will hold.

As for "The trip to the alps will be Germany, Switzerland, Italy and Austria. The Garda sea, Dolomits, several mountain passes. We will start from Oslo with ColorLine to Kiel 21. of June. The tour will be 3 weeks." That sounds like a whole lot of fun!

You'll be in a bunch of places we just were, from Lake Geneva on the west to Salzburg and beyond on the east. We were down to Garda a few years ago, and Neuschwanstein as well as Fussen and the Kelstein House. That is absolutely stunning country, and it would be such fun to drive a Bullnose through it!

It seems like such a far way from Norway there, but then I see you are taking a ferry to Kiel and driving from there. And since we did a Baltic tour a few years ago I now realize how tightly knit that is.

Please post pictures!!!

Glad you found it! Did you torque the bolts in a sequence? I think I'd start in the center and spiral out. But hopefully what you've done will hold.

As for "The trip to the alps will be Germany, Switzerland, Italy and Austria. The Garda sea, Dolomits, several mountain passes. We will start from Oslo with ColorLine to Kiel 21. of June. The tour will be 3 weeks." That sounds like a whole lot of fun!

You'll be in a bunch of places we just were, from Lake Geneva on the west to Salzburg and beyond on the east. We were down to Garda a few years ago, and Neuschwanstein as well as Fussen and the Kelstein House. That is absolutely stunning country, and it would be such fun to drive a Bullnose through it!

It seems like such a far way from Norway there, but then I see you are taking a ferry to Kiel and driving from there. And since we did a Baltic tour a few years ago I now realize how tightly knit that is.

Please post pictures!!!

Hi again.

This coming week we are " promised " very nice weather. 17. May is our national day. So I polished Eddie. Afterwards it looked like a cat fight had been going on.IMG_20240513_194503228.jpg.4905ecb4a301f4eaecf65f7e44e8c5c9.jpg Afterwards we went for a ride to Ålesund. Here is a wiew towards east from the town. In the bottom of the picture you can see the boys and girls building the big bonfire for mid summer night. Aiming for a 120 feet high tower.IMG_20240513_204443835.jpg.f5f13605a2166083182379ea504efc4c.jpg

But unfortunately the exhaust leak was back.

Its no fun when it seemed to be ok the day before.

But I will have a go at it again🙂.

I am looking forward to the trip to the alps. We will mostly drive on the small roads. On average each trip will be 20 miles. So there will be time for museums ( car related), nice towns and much more. Neuschwanstein is in the plans. I have actually been there. It was in 1982 . I remember we were told buy the guide not to take pictures while walking through the different rooms. I could not resist taking a picture of the ceiling in the Thronsaal right under that big chandelier. I think it were maybe 10- 15 people in that group. Mostly germans.. The guide did not hear the shutter. But a few of the other tourists did. They shrug their heads an mumbled Es war der Norweger 🙄.

The trip will be about 230 miles. Kiel-Alps-Kiel.

The ferry takes 20 hours each way.

Greetings Stein

Hi again.

This coming week we are " promised " very nice weather. 17. May is our national day. So I polished Eddie. Afterwards it looked like a cat fight had been going on. Afterwards we went for a ride to Ålesund. Here is a wiew towards east from the town. In the bottom of the picture you can see the boys and girls building the big bonfire for mid summer night. Aiming for a 120 feet high tower.

But unfortunately the exhaust leak was back.

Its no fun when it seemed to be ok the day before.

But I will have a go at it again🙂.

I am looking forward to the trip to the alps. We will mostly drive on the small roads. On average each trip will be 20 miles. So there will be time for museums ( car related), nice towns and much more. Neuschwanstein is in the plans. I have actually been there. It was in 1982 . I remember we were told buy the guide not to take pictures while walking through the different rooms. I could not resist taking a picture of the ceiling in the Thronsaal right under that big chandelier. I think it were maybe 10- 15 people in that group. Mostly germans.. The guide did not hear the shutter. But a few of the other tourists did. They shrug their heads an mumbled Es war der Norweger 🙄.

The trip will be about 230 miles. Kiel-Alps-Kiel.

The ferry takes 20 hours each way.

Greetings Stein

Eddie sure looks good! But I'm not sure what you mean about the cat fight?

Bummer about the exhaust! Have you checked the header to see that it is flat? As said before, I'd start by torquing the bolts in the center and then spiraling out to the ends. But the factory shop manual says: Working from the center to the ends, tighten the bolts to specifications.

As for the trip, I thought it was a lot farther to Neuschwanstein. But last time we were there these cars were in the car park:

American_Classics_at_Neu.thumb.jpg.b4328da5fe24ee0a6b2fff3b319cf017.jpg

Eddie sure looks good! But I'm not sure what you mean about the cat fight?

Bummer about the exhaust! Have you checked the header to see that it is flat? As said before, I'd start by torquing the bolts in the center and then spiraling out to the ends. But the factory shop manual says: Working from the center to the ends, tighten the bolts to specifications.

As for the trip, I thought it was a lot farther to Neuschwanstein. But last time we were there these cars were in the car park:

Hi.

Cat fight was referring to all the polishing yarn laying on the ground. It is more messy than using polishing paper. The cars in your picture have german plates. Do... probably means Dortmund.

Cant see that the headers are uneven/ warped but it is possible. I will check again.

Greetings Stein

Hi.

Cat fight was referring to all the polishing yarn laying on the ground. It is more messy than using polishing paper. The cars in your picture have german plates. Do... probably means Dortmund.

Cant see that the headers are uneven/ warped but it is possible. I will check again.

Greetings Stein

Ahhh, now I see what you meant by cat fight. :nabble_smiley_good:

Good eye on the plates. I'd noticed that they are German plates, but not the Do. This site says "DO - Dortmund, North-Rhine-Westphalia". According to Google Maps that is 642 KM or about 400 miles. :nabble_smiley_good:

Ahhh, now I see what you meant by cat fight. :nabble_smiley_good:

Good eye on the plates. I'd noticed that they are German plates, but not the Do. This site says "DO - Dortmund, North-Rhine-Westphalia". According to Google Maps that is 642 KM or about 400 miles. :nabble_smiley_good:

Hi.

The saga of exhaust leak goes on. Here is the mls gasket showing where the tiny leak is. Blue colored.IMG_20240515_212341332.jpg.d7184367a2bb7791c2f62854c850728d.jpg It is also visible on the header.IMG_20240515_211101727.jpg.e05314dabb9d47dd88aa9c10e22a0062.jpg This end of the header does not look good compared to the other end. I would think a gasket could seal this. IMG_20240515_211042658.jpg.198e58470d14bef028ef79dc384b9a8f.jpg The header is also a little curved.IMG_20240515_212020794.jpg.72dbb376e2b7576440f9bffb1af68b1e.jpgIMG_20240515_212007920.jpg.2e4763766047599765f177bb59bb8927.jpg But the leak is only at front, cylinder 5. The leak starts when engine gets hot. Right after start there is no leak. Here is shops around here that can grind the flats on the header. Maybe thats a solution ?

Something else. When it comes to warning buzzers its hard to beat this one from a -76 Scania. Low air pressure , brakes. //https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8YoP5O0Fdms

Greetings Stein

Hi.

The saga of exhaust leak goes on. Here is the mls gasket showing where the tiny leak is. Blue colored. It is also visible on the header. This end of the header does not look good compared to the other end. I would think a gasket could seal this. The header is also a little curved. But the leak is only at front, cylinder 5. The leak starts when engine gets hot. Right after start there is no leak. Here is shops around here that can grind the flats on the header. Maybe thats a solution ?

Something else. When it comes to warning buzzers its hard to beat this one from a -76 Scania. Low air pressure , brakes. //https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8YoP5O0Fdms

Greetings Stein

I think I'd see what the people that do the grinding think. I'm not sure you'll ever get it to seal unless the grinding takes most or all of that divot out.

Perhaps they can tack weld a spot there and then grind it out?

As for the buzzer, that would get your attention! That's a beautiful truck. :nabble_smiley_good:

I think I'd see what the people that do the grinding think. I'm not sure you'll ever get it to seal unless the grinding takes most or all of that divot out.

Perhaps they can tack weld a spot there and then grind it out?

As for the buzzer, that would get your attention! That's a beautiful truck. :nabble_smiley_good:

one of the old "hacks" for header fitment was to separate the tubes. (cut the flat plate evenly between each header pipe). this allowed each to be tightened across each gasket surface individually and usually stopped all leaks. this would be a very hard decision for me to make on expensive or coated headers. a good mass production example of this would be fords fox body headers. imagine that.

one of the old "hacks" for header fitment was to separate the tubes. (cut the flat plate evenly between each header pipe). this allowed each to be tightened across each gasket surface individually and usually stopped all leaks. this would be a very hard decision for me to make on expensive or coated headers. a good mass production example of this would be fords fox body headers. imagine that.

A standing belt sander fixed some cheap hookers for me years ago.

Remflex gaskets are very highly regarded but I have not needed them yet.

I'd think some time spent with a good clean file could get you fairly close. 🤷‍♂ī¸