Bullnose Forums

Fixing Eddie

firefire

My understanding is that the lip is just to keep the hose from sliding off, so half of a lip should do it.

On the fuel filter, you'll have to cut into your line and install the fittings. This is the filter for a '96 F-Series truck and it is what I have on Big Blue. These fittings adapt 5/16" steel to 3/8" Nylon line, but if your line is truly 5/16" then you'll need to find those fittings. I used 3/8" line for both the supply and the return although the factory used 3/8" supply and 5/16" return on the EFI trucks. But as yours has a carb it might well have been 5/16".

There's a very recent post on here where a guy put a filter on, so you should read it.

To put the Nylon line on the fittings there's a tool called Dorman 800-301, but someone on here made a tool using a board in a vise recently and it worked fine. But I can't find the post - yet.

Here's the post. Same thread. Just scroll down to the bottom of the post to find out how he did it, inc a pic.

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the post. Same thread. Just scroll down to the bottom of the post to find out how he did it, inc a pic.

Hi. Thanks for the help. Have followed chirkware's Larry the Lariat. He has got some challenges🙂. He made me check Eddie's fan resistor awhile ago.

Will go for new fuel pump for now. Will probably buy 2. And there is more stuff to do before I get the pumps.

Greetings Stein

Hi. Thanks for the help. Have followed chirkware's Larry the Lariat. He has got some challenges🙂. He made me check Eddie's fan resistor awhile ago.

Will go for new fuel pump for now. Will probably buy 2. And there is more stuff to do before I get the pumps.

Greetings Stein

Hi.

This evening I took the fuel pump a part.

The pump functioned ok (coolant) IMG_20230424_192121_3.thumb.jpg.739d60d5d73713cf24695ded9b14a2ee.jpgChecked for coolant inside the top of the pump. Found none. So I split the pump in two.IMG_20230424_201257_7.thumb.jpg.3c5d2b9d6f736ec3a6410ce6c9b6ccec.jpg The oil must have passed the top plate and seal or passed through the plastic around the pump axle.IMG_20230424_201506_8.jpg.8166f0ca3e34f1138dff0ba7d26720ee.jpg Could not find anything wrong with the pumps membran.IMG_20230424_201635_4.jpg.08665a6ec7d8db1b6325e4bd3367dace.jpg It is not put straight together either.IMG_20230424_202705_8.thumb.jpg.f8f4fc65670c7202cb214ea49b14658d.jpg I believe the weep hole is there to warn you about gas passing a defunct membran. The mechanismen failing before the membran should not happen. I have ordered a Spectra Premium pump. Hope they are better. Made in Canada.

Greetings Stein

Hi.

This evening I took the fuel pump a part.

The pump functioned ok (coolant) Checked for coolant inside the top of the pump. Found none. So I split the pump in two. The oil must have passed the top plate and seal or passed through the plastic around the pump axle. Could not find anything wrong with the pumps membran. It is not put straight together either. I believe the weep hole is there to warn you about gas passing a defunct membran. The mechanismen failing before the membran should not happen. I have ordered a Spectra Premium pump. Hope they are better. Made in Canada.

Greetings Stein

Interesting detective work, Stein. And I'll bet you are right about the weep hole's purpose.

Hopefully the new pump will last a loooooooong time.

Interesting detective work, Stein. And I'll bet you are right about the weep hole's purpose.

Hopefully the new pump will last a loooooooong time.

Hi.

I think the weep hole also lets air in and out of the pumps housing. When the pump sucks gas the air goes out because of less space between membran and top. Air goes in when pumping, because of more space. And as you mean. If the membran goes bad gas will come out the weep hole instead of maybe entering inside the engine. Would be bad for the oil. Dont know if you could even risk an explosion caused by the gas fumes.:nabble_smiley_scared:

Greetings Stein

Hi.

I think the weep hole also lets air in and out of the pumps housing. When the pump sucks gas the air goes out because of less space between membran and top. Air goes in when pumping, because of more space. And as you mean. If the membran goes bad gas will come out the weep hole instead of maybe entering inside the engine. Would be bad for the oil. Dont know if you could even risk an explosion caused by the gas fumes.:nabble_smiley_scared:

Greetings Stein

I don't know if it had a weep hole, but I well remember being in the middle of nowhere and a friend discovering that his oil was waaaaay too high. He'd parked his '60 Ford nose down on a hill and the fuel pump had failed. It was a long day to take my '58 Chevy into town to get oil, filter, and pump and then go back to nowhere to install them.

So fuel can easily go into the oil. :nabble_smiley_oh:

I don't know if it had a weep hole, but I well remember being in the middle of nowhere and a friend discovering that his oil was waaaaay too high. He'd parked his '60 Ford nose down on a hill and the fuel pump had failed. It was a long day to take my '58 Chevy into town to get oil, filter, and pump and then go back to nowhere to install them.

So fuel can easily go into the oil. :nabble_smiley_oh:

Hi.

Colder than in your fridge here.IMG_20230426_073528_0.jpg.0834cb32d8c683338edcb9b0f90978a7.jpg Spent two evenings in my carport and got in a new fuel pump and everything else. Cold work. Eddie started easily and I can`t see no leaks. So I am happy :nabble_smiley_beam:IMG_20230427_182413_6.thumb.jpg.986d785773e79b2e33d1b8cd9cfc2ffb.jpg Tomorrow there will be nicer weather. Maybe I will take Eddie out for a spin.

Greetings Stein.

Hi.

Colder than in your fridge here. Spent two evenings in my carport and got in a new fuel pump and everything else. Cold work. Eddie started easily and I can`t see no leaks. So I am happy :nabble_smiley_beam: Tomorrow there will be nicer weather. Maybe I will take Eddie out for a spin.

Greetings Stein.

Yep, working with mittens isn't ideal. I go there too often.

:nabble_smiley_wink:

We have a pretty "fresh" spring here too. -6°C this morning (22°F), but hopefully we have warm days since 2 weeks, so snow is almost gone (only north faces of hills still white).

Does Eddie have mechanical or electrical pump? Happy to see that the job is a success!

:nabble_anim_claps:

Hi.

Greetings Stein

PCV is constantly sucking fumes into the intake to be burned, but gasoline is not a good lubricant.

If you're lucky you will smell it or find the oil level high and thin before the engine is seized or completely worn out.

Mechanical fuel pumps do have their drawbacks beyond not priming the carb without turning the engine.

Yep, working with mittens isn't ideal. I go there too often.

:nabble_smiley_wink:

We have a pretty "fresh" spring here too. -6°C this morning (22°F), but hopefully we have warm days since 2 weeks, so snow is almost gone (only north faces of hills still white).

Does Eddie have mechanical or electrical pump? Happy to see that the job is a success!

:nabble_anim_claps:

Hi Jeff.

Then we have much the same weather.

Today, Friday evening. we have nice weather and dry roads. So I took Eddie out for an hour drive. Tomorrow will be rain/ sleet. Max temp. + 4'C. The pump is mechanical. Its a AcDelco. I ordered a 2 Spectra Premium SP1005MP from a norwegian supplier. I understand they are made in Canada. Would prefer to buy canadian over chinese. Hoped for better quality too. So I was a little surprised when I found 2 pumps from AcDelco in the package. The seller apologised for it not being a SP but he meant it really did not matter since all pumps being chinese and of same quality. I suggested they should look over their website so people got what they ordered and not a look a like.. The pump looks really rough on the outside but I hope it is properly made inside so I will have no problems. It works just fine and without any ticking or noice.

Greetings Stein.