Bullnose Forums

Fixing Eddie

firefire

Yup, yup, and yup.

Yup, there is no room to remove the pan w/o lifting the engine.

Yup, blocks to hold the engine up are highly recommended if you like your fingers.

And yup, use Loctite on the nuts! I used The Right Stuff for installing that fitting on one pan, either Dad's or Big Blue's, I don't remember which. But it worked.

Hi.

Permatex is also available here. As I understand it will replace a convential gasket. You just apply it between the parts ?

Stein

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi.

Permatex is also available here. As I understand it will replace a convential gasket. You just apply it between the parts ?

Stein

I applied it to the flange and then put the flange on the pan, but only finger tight so The Right Stuff had a chance to expand. Then the next day I tightened the screws and cut the excess off.

I applied it to the flange and then put the flange on the pan, but only finger tight so The Right Stuff had a chance to expand. Then the next day I tightened the screws and cut the excess off.

Ok. I will go and get The Right Stuff tomorrow so I can get started with the reassembly.

It has the be the right stuff because it is The Right Stuff.

Kinda reminds me of this episode of The Vicar Of Dibley:

Hi.:nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:Here it is still changing between snowing / raining. But the daylight hours are getting longer. Spring is getting closer. Have not got the pan back on. Had to order The Right Stuff. Will get it next week. So have been cleaning the pan for a new gasket. Observing the cylinders and pistons from the under side. Looks good to me.IMG_20230225_134811_0.jpg.9415ec19dc8d6f8d521a3ac78d97f2d5.jpg Next was filling up with brake fluid, Dot 3. Had my wife with me to operate the brake pedal. Did the front calipers first. Worked out good. But under the right side drum there was a puddle of brake fluid. Thats not fun. My first thought was that the new wheel cylinder was broken and that the bands would be soaked with brake fluid :nabble_smiley_sad: Luckily the bands were dry. IMG_20230225_105709_6.jpg.b206dcbd9ccdec4f903cd5d913abc766.jpg Took out the wheel cylinder and took it apart. One of the rubber cups behind the pistons was askew.IMG_20230225_110157_6.jpg.7edf4795a4a5abba899f75b1c251119f.jpg The brake fluid partly dissolved my nice green paint on the wheel cylinder, but the black professional paint on the brakeshield was luckily not affected.IMG_20230225_110725_1.jpg.6317c90409564b6a96de15d91cee874a.jpgIMG_20230225_111907_7.thumb.jpg.c56b03e807d45c70b95e203359e7e25c.jpg Reassembled the wheel cylinder. Washed away brake fluid with water. Very effective. Then we could continue bleeding the brakes. It was a little challenging. I had trouble getting the air out. Looking over the connections on the brake line I found several small leaks. Tightened them up and we finally got the brakes bled. That was the little onion peeling on Saturday. Next up will hopefully be getting the oil pan back on :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:Greetings Stein.

Hi.

:nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

Here it is still changing between snowing / raining. But the daylight hours are getting longer. Spring is getting closer. Have not got the pan back on. Had to order The Right Stuff. Will get it next week. So have been cleaning the pan for a new gasket. Observing the cylinders and pistons from the under side. Looks good to me. Next was filling up with brake fluid, Dot 3. Had my wife with me to operate the brake pedal. Did the front calipers first. Worked out good. But under the right side drum there was a puddle of brake fluid. Thats not fun. My first thought was that the new wheel cylinder was broken and that the bands would be soaked with brake fluid :nabble_smiley_sad: Luckily the bands were dry. Took out the wheel cylinder and took it apart. One of the rubber cups behind the pistons was askew. The brake fluid partly dissolved my nice green paint on the wheel cylinder, but the black professional paint on the brakeshield was luckily not affected. Reassembled the wheel cylinder. Washed away brake fluid with water. Very effective. Then we could continue bleeding the brakes. It was a little challenging. I had trouble getting the air out. Looking over the connections on the brake line I found several small leaks. Tightened them up and we finally got the brakes bled. That was the little onion peeling on Saturday. Next up will hopefully be getting the oil pan back on :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

Greetings Stein.

Yes, that is onion peeling. And jobs like this require lots of that. Glad you got the brakes bled. Very important and sometimes hard to do.

Good luck on the pan. That can be very frustrating under the truck. Hope yours isn't. :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

Yes, that is onion peeling. And jobs like this require lots of that. Glad you got the brakes bled. Very important and sometimes hard to do.

Good luck on the pan. That can be very frustrating under the truck. Hope yours isn't. http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig.png

Hi.

It is a little complicated working on the pan like this. Its an awkward working position and hard to both reach and see what you are doing. But I thought it would be even more work lifting the engine out. More work yes, but as I know now not so uncomfortable.

Went for a trip to Ålesund this evening.

About 18.00 hours. Still nice light.IMG_20230226_175020_7.thumb.jpg.b0dacb3ee5b3b6fc5849f690b1416f50.jpg

Greetings Stein

Hi.

It is a little complicated working on the pan like this. Its an awkward working position and hard to both reach and see what you are doing. But I thought it would be even more work lifting the engine out. More work yes, but as I know now not so uncomfortable.

Went for a trip to Ålesund this evening.

About 18.00 hours. Still nice light.IMG_20230226_175020_7.jpg

Greetings Stein

Yes, it isn't fun having oil drip on you while you work. I'll pull the engine if I have to pull the pan.

And your picture of Ålesund is beautiful!

Yes, it isn't fun having oil drip on you while you work. I'll pull the engine if I have to pull the pan.

And your picture of Ålesund is beautiful!

Hi. Finally got The Right Stuff🙂. It is the 1 minute version. Have drilled up the mounting holes for the dipstick adapter ( I dont know exactely what to call the part ) to 6,5 mm in the oil pan. Screws are 6mm. Have also deburred the holes inside and outside. Outside got 2 layers primer and paint. The inside area for the adapter is cleaned/ sanded down. I wonder is it necessary to prime/ paint the inside area where the adapter is attached ? Dont think I have any paint that would survive inside the oil pan either. Or is it OK with The Right Stuff on the bare steel ?

Greetings Stein.

Hi. Finally got The Right Stuff🙂. It is the 1 minute version. Have drilled up the mounting holes for the dipstick adapter ( I dont know exactely what to call the part ) to 6,5 mm in the oil pan. Screws are 6mm. Have also deburred the holes inside and outside. Outside got 2 layers primer and paint. The inside area for the adapter is cleaned/ sanded down. I wonder is it necessary to prime/ paint the inside area where the adapter is attached ? Dont think I have any paint that would survive inside the oil pan either. Or is it OK with The Right Stuff on the bare steel ?

Greetings Stein.

I didn’t paint or prime. Was afraid that the paint would come loose and clog the oil pickup screen. So I just used it against the bare metal.