Bullnose Forums

Fixing Eddie

firefire

Yes. It is beyond my capabilitys. I thought it must be interesting for some of the more expert members of this forum. I can only say I am impressed 😀.

Stein.

Hi.

Eddie still runs great. The Street Demon runs now with 0.078 secondarys. WOT starts at afr 11 on flat road.In a steep uphill at afr 10. Primary Jets are 0.076. Metering rod 6052. When cruising the afr jumps around 14,2 - 15,5. If the road is a tiny little downhill the afr is 13,8. When a tiny little uphill the afr is 15-15,5. Parthiall throttle starts around afr 12,5. Idle afr 12,8. The springs for the metering rods are 6HG. To avoid any more problems with the loose choke blade axle I welded it. Sure was a liitle scary to do. I am not particularely clever at welding. But it turned out good.IMG_20220430_091905_8.thumb.jpg.11805fad1bb97779c8b90a4e255d9861.jpgIMG_20220430_133426_7.thumb.jpg.462dfb0fa1a2d26663e716b306ef5a2a.jpg

To please you Gary, and others I made a video of Eddie today. Its the second day in a row with warm and nice weather http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/laughing-25-x-25_orig.gif

I will try to make a video of the AEM Afr Gauge when driving. So you all can see how its readings are jumping aroung. Wonder what causes that ?

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi.

Eddie still runs great. The Street Demon runs now with 0.078 secondarys. WOT starts at afr 11 on flat road.In a steep uphill at afr 10. Primary Jets are 0.076. Metering rod 6052. When cruising the afr jumps around 14,2 - 15,5. If the road is a tiny little downhill the afr is 13,8. When a tiny little uphill the afr is 15-15,5. Parthiall throttle starts around afr 12,5. Idle afr 12,8. The springs for the metering rods are 6HG. To avoid any more problems with the loose choke blade axle I welded it. Sure was a liitle scary to do. I am not particularely clever at welding. But it turned out good.

To please you Gary, and others I made a video of Eddie today. Its the second day in a row with warm and nice weather :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

I will try to make a video of the AEM Afr Gauge when driving. So you all can see how its readings are jumping aroung. Wonder what causes that ?

That welding turned out well. :nabble_smiley_good:

And the video is great! Beautiful Norwegian scenery and then an American V8 rumbling by. :nabble_anim_claps:

On the AFR, what you've described is exactly what I've seen with carbs. I don't understand why backing off the throttle slightly causes it to go rich, but it does. And easing into it causes it to go lean. But your numbers are good. Leaning out to 15.5 is fine and won't cause loss of power. But you are going about as rich as you'd want when WOT gets to 10.

Hi.

Eddie still runs great. The Street Demon runs now with 0.078 secondarys. WOT starts at afr 11 on flat road.In a steep uphill at afr 10. Primary Jets are 0.076. Metering rod 6052. When cruising the afr jumps around 14,2 - 15,5. If the road is a tiny little downhill the afr is 13,8. When a tiny little uphill the afr is 15-15,5. Parthiall throttle starts around afr 12,5. Idle afr 12,8. The springs for the metering rods are 6HG. To avoid any more problems with the loose choke blade axle I welded it. Sure was a liitle scary to do. I am not particularely clever at welding. But it turned out good.

To please you Gary, and others I made a video of Eddie today. Its the second day in a row with warm and nice weather :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

Beautiful video!

I think your weld job looks great!

Beautiful video!

I think your weld job looks great!

Hi. Still experimenting with the carburetor. Put in yellow springs, 4hg, for the metering rods. Believe that will give me leaner mix over a wider vacuum range. Eddie still reacts positively when given throttle.

A video here ( a bit lenghty though )

Its hard to tell exact AFR . I will say 14,5 average cruising. I polished Eddie in the weekend and noticed these cracks over the side windows had grown big.IMG_20220522_171849_3.jpg.288aa36c6cdbc7556efb775eeac88a38.jpg I fear what I will find under the old sealer. Filled the cracks with fluid film for now. Bææ :nabble_smiley_beam: Just for fun I installed a pressure gauge on the fuel line. 6 psi at idle, 5 psi at higher rpm. Isn`t that good ? IMG_20220524_181945_4.jpg.4abaec5d708c797e30c3893bdaac16d2.jpgIMG_20220524_182254_8.jpg.e246a194beed59578716b1abdc9d7efa.jpg And last a picture from Ulla, Haramsøy.IMG_20220520_225453_4.jpg.57e0a761bf38286af46c8c6b5a25e929.jpg

Greetings Stein

Hi. Still experimenting with the carburetor. Put in yellow springs, 4hg, for the metering rods. Believe that will give me leaner mix over a wider vacuum range. Eddie still reacts positively when given throttle.

A video here ( a bit lenghty though )

Its hard to tell exact AFR . I will say 14,5 average cruising. I polished Eddie in the weekend and noticed these cracks over the side windows had grown big. I fear what I will find under the old sealer. Filled the cracks with fluid film for now. Bææ :nabble_smiley_beam: Just for fun I installed a pressure gauge on the fuel line. 6 psi at idle, 5 psi at higher rpm. Isn`t that good ? And last a picture from Ulla, Haramsøy.

Greetings Stein

I think you have the carb tuned well. It looks like you are a bit rich at idle, but you can easily correct that with the idle mix screws. I'd use a vacuum gauge and find max vacuum and then open the screws about 1/8 to 1/4 turn from that point.

And you are a bit rich at WOT, but fixing that requires too many other changes. And since the engine sounds like it likes that AFR I'd leave it alone. You really don't spend much time at WOT anyway.

As for the fuel pressure, that's just right.

But I don't know what to say about the crack. :nabble_smiley_oh:

Anyway, the picture is beautiful! :nabble_smiley_good:

I think you have the carb tuned well. It looks like you are a bit rich at idle, but you can easily correct that with the idle mix screws. I'd use a vacuum gauge and find max vacuum and then open the screws about 1/8 to 1/4 turn from that point.

And you are a bit rich at WOT, but fixing that requires too many other changes. And since the engine sounds like it likes that AFR I'd leave it alone. You really don't spend much time at WOT anyway.

As for the fuel pressure, that's just right.

But I don't know what to say about the crack. :nabble_smiley_oh:

Anyway, the picture is beautiful! :nabble_smiley_good:

Good to see/hear Eddie running so well. Espy is a few steps behind...

Good to see/hear Eddie running so well. Espy is a few steps behind...

Hi. Still working with the Street Demon and AFR. And as usual something unexpected happens. Since Eddie is very rich at wot I installed smaller secondary jets. Size 0.076". Put the carburetor together and back on the engine. Eddie did not start as easy as I am used to. He even had a backfire during cranking:nabble_smiley_oh: But off we went. But he did not run good and hesitated when given throttle. After 5 km I stopped and looked under the hood. I had forgotten to connect the vacuum hose to the distributor.:nabble_anim_crazy: After connecting the vacuum hose Eddie behaved better. But still had a little hesitation when given full throttle. If this happens Holley recommends trying a stronger spring for the metering rods. So home I went. So off with the airfilter. Changed the springs from yellow 4Hg to green 5Hg. Wanted to take a look under the secondary air valve ( sooty after backfire ) so I pressed it down. Letting the valve ease up again it got stuck on the end of the arm operating the choke. A picture is thousand words.IMG_20220531_195143_0.jpg.985d125a7832ddfa3b15a4e49932cbe9.jpg A little endplay / gap.IMG_20220531_195207_6.jpg.2b6ed932a64ba57210f6d2375b29ad70.jpg Knocked this flat, 0,5 mm thick.IMG_20220531_201503_7.jpg.dd07267f56e651ba849e844a68565918.jpgWasher in, no play.IMG_20220601_203617_7.thumb.jpg.a056a675b868161f80badff142316eb4.jpg Snug fit. Pleased with my self. So I went for a test drive.Eddie behaved well. Only the slightest hesitation when given full throttle. That will probably be fixed with next stronger springs . But now the Afr were in the low 13 -13,5. So home again and off with the air filter. Because of my tight fitting washer the choke blade did not fully retract by 10mm. The choke blade rested partially over the fuel shower heads. This has happened before as you can read in previous posts. So off with the washer. I worked it over with a flat file and also filed down its outside diameter a bit. Then back on again. Nicer and looser fit. But now it was late evening. Have not had a chance for a new test drive. Today the rain has been pouring down. Probably not better tomorrow. More will follow in this saga.

Greetings Stein.

Hi. Still working with the Street Demon and AFR. And as usual something unexpected happens. Since Eddie is very rich at wot I installed smaller secondary jets. Size 0.076". Put the carburetor together and back on the engine. Eddie did not start as easy as I am used to. He even had a backfire during cranking:nabble_smiley_oh: But off we went. But he did not run good and hesitated when given throttle. After 5 km I stopped and looked under the hood. I had forgotten to connect the vacuum hose to the distributor.:nabble_anim_crazy: After connecting the vacuum hose Eddie behaved better. But still had a little hesitation when given full throttle. If this happens Holley recommends trying a stronger spring for the metering rods. So home I went. So off with the airfilter. Changed the springs from yellow 4Hg to green 5Hg. Wanted to take a look under the secondary air valve ( sooty after backfire ) so I pressed it down. Letting the valve ease up again it got stuck on the end of the arm operating the choke. A picture is thousand words. A little endplay / gap. Knocked this flat, 0,5 mm thick.Washer in, no play. Snug fit. Pleased with my self. So I went for a test drive.Eddie behaved well. Only the slightest hesitation when given full throttle. That will probably be fixed with next stronger springs . But now the Afr were in the low 13 -13,5. So home again and off with the air filter. Because of my tight fitting washer the choke blade did not fully retract by 10mm. The choke blade rested partially over the fuel shower heads. This has happened before as you can read in previous posts. So off with the washer. I worked it over with a flat file and also filed down its outside diameter a bit. Then back on again. Nicer and looser fit. But now it was late evening. Have not had a chance for a new test drive. Today the rain has been pouring down. Probably not better tomorrow. More will follow in this saga.

Greetings Stein.

With WOT at 13 - 13.5 you are maybe a little bit lean for full power. But there's really not a whole lot to be gained in power by going richer, so unless you can easily swap out metering rods and enrichen it a bit I think you are good.

And, as you've found, you don't want the choke linkage to be tight. A little loose lets it work at all different temps, so I'm glad you loosened it up.

Also, John/Machspeed tells me you'd like a couple of the stickers. I'll get those in the mail to you ASAP.

With WOT at 13 - 13.5 you are maybe a little bit lean for full power. But there's really not a whole lot to be gained in power by going richer, so unless you can easily swap out metering rods and enrichen it a bit I think you are good.

And, as you've found, you don't want the choke linkage to be tight. A little loose lets it work at all different temps, so I'm glad you loosened it up.

Also, John/Machspeed tells me you'd like a couple of the stickers. I'll get those in the mail to you ASAP.

Hi.

The afr 13 -13,5 readings were when cruising.

At wot down at about 11. But more testing to do.

Eddie looks forward to wearing the Bullnose emblem 😎

Hi.

The afr 13 -13,5 readings were when cruising.

At wot down at about 11. But more testing to do.

Eddie looks forward to wearing the Bullnose emblem 😎

Oh! Yes, that is rich. I'd shoot for 14.5 - 15 for cruise, and 12 - 13 for WOT.