Bullnose Forums

Fixing Eddie

firefire

Hi.

All the parts have arrived so I will start reassembling everything soon. But now I have read to much about advancing the timing :nabble_anim_crazy: The new Cloyes gives me the option of 4° advancing. Does any of you recomend this ? Greetings Stein

I would have recommended going back at 0 degrees. However this from Summit says advancing 4 degrees brings in torque 200 RPM sooner. :nabble_anim_confused:

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have recommended going back at 0 degrees. However this from Summit says advancing 4 degrees brings in torque 200 RPM sooner. :nabble_anim_confused:

i normally go with stock set up on the chain. if I use a different cam profile, I leave it in the cam. however, torque being available sooner will be used more. it comes at the cost of upper rpm but where "you" use the power is really the point.

i normally go with stock set up on the chain. if I use a different cam profile, I leave it in the cam. however, torque being available sooner will be used more. it comes at the cost of upper rpm but where "you" use the power is really the point.

Advancing the cam will shift your torque and power bands down in the rpm range, that is to say your peak torque numbers and peak power numbers will occur at lower engine speeds. However, the engine will not breathe as well or make as much torque/power on the top end. Total peak output will be lower numerically if you advance the cam but perhaps the engine will "feel bigger".

Im not sure if your engines computer will function optimally if you advance the cam.

Assuming that it would all work right, the rest comes down to personal preference I suppose. For a manual transmission I would advance the cam as I typically drive a manual transmission vehicle at low engine speeds (1000-3000rpm for my inline 6). For an automatic transmission, the upper rpm range becomes more usable (to me) so I might choose not to advance the cam.

Advancing the cam will have a significant effect on your dynamic compression ratio, but I doubt it will make much difference in your vehicles fuel tolerance. It might be best to make other small adjustments (timing).

Advancing the cam will shift your torque and power bands down in the rpm range, that is to say your peak torque numbers and peak power numbers will occur at lower engine speeds. However, the engine will not breathe as well or make as much torque/power on the top end. Total peak output will be lower numerically if you advance the cam but perhaps the engine will "feel bigger".

Im not sure if your engines computer will function optimally if you advance the cam.

Assuming that it would all work right, the rest comes down to personal preference I suppose. For a manual transmission I would advance the cam as I typically drive a manual transmission vehicle at low engine speeds (1000-3000rpm for my inline 6). For an automatic transmission, the upper rpm range becomes more usable (to me) so I might choose not to advance the cam.

Advancing the cam will have a significant effect on your dynamic compression ratio, but I doubt it will make much difference in your vehicles fuel tolerance. It might be best to make other small adjustments (timing).

Hi all. First a weather report. Temp. is a little over / under freezing point. The sun is higher in the sky. Sunday we woke up to more snow.IMG_20220220_120423_3.jpg.6c197ed24a8546fafcc2f70651bbe5bd.jpg Thanks to my neighbour and his tractor:nabble_smiley_good:

Saturday I bagan reassembling everything. I covered the gaskets (3) with sealant. IMG_20220219_102122_1.thumb.jpg.5c29ebe9fd5b7126a8b36700fac5446f.jpgIMG_20220219_104309_8.thumb.jpg.086df0564819551d6f16fe2eee3f6f8c.jpgIMG_20220219_104316_5.thumb.jpg.12ad599fb1c07ad57192d4e5829a45d5.jpg The bolts were covered with alu paste from Wurth. I sat the timing at 0. The lower timing sprocket needed the help from a pipe and a light knock with a hammer to get on. The HB slid easily on. Used a Makita Impact Wrench to torque the upper sprocket and the HB. Per instructions 1 sec with hammering is about 120Nm ( HB ). Thought I had to check the result with my torque wrench. The problem is how to keep the crankshaft from not turning. So I tried this.IMG_20220219_115551_1.thumb.jpg.92283aba70b87dcbbb882bf40ebc1844.jpgI tried it once. It clicked at 122Nm. But it could be more. The temperature in the warehouse is 8`C ( 48F sounds very hot to me ).

So after mounting all the brackets, generator, fan, AC pump, fuel pump, coil and steering pump I called it a day. So Sunday was the big day. Back in with the radiator and coolant. Some rust in the left overs.IMG_20220220_135250_0.thumb.jpg.47e02d409b76b01b8b3a823e2bc100ef.jpg Then it was time for judgement day. Would there be leaks ? Mechanical failures ? Pumped the gas twice and Eddie started right up. Have to say that Demon carburetor is great. Start at ca. 1000rpm, works up to 1500, and when I kick the gas after 3 or 4 minutes Eddie settles down at 600 rpm. Video http://youtu.be/PuobnjDy3ia After 10 minutes no leaks, crazy sounds:nabble_anim_jump:

Hi all. First a weather report. Temp. is a little over / under freezing point. The sun is higher in the sky. Sunday we woke up to more snow. Thanks to my neighbour and his tractor:nabble_smiley_good:

Saturday I bagan reassembling everything. I covered the gaskets (3) with sealant. The bolts were covered with alu paste from Wurth. I sat the timing at 0. The lower timing sprocket needed the help from a pipe and a light knock with a hammer to get on. The HB slid easily on. Used a Makita Impact Wrench to torque the upper sprocket and the HB. Per instructions 1 sec with hammering is about 120Nm ( HB ). Thought I had to check the result with my torque wrench. The problem is how to keep the crankshaft from not turning. So I tried this.I tried it once. It clicked at 122Nm. But it could be more. The temperature in the warehouse is 8`C ( 48F sounds very hot to me ).

So after mounting all the brackets, generator, fan, AC pump, fuel pump, coil and steering pump I called it a day. So Sunday was the big day. Back in with the radiator and coolant. Some rust in the left overs. Then it was time for judgement day. Would there be leaks ? Mechanical failures ? Pumped the gas twice and Eddie started right up. Have to say that Demon carburetor is great. Start at ca. 1000rpm, works up to 1500, and when I kick the gas after 3 or 4 minutes Eddie settles down at 600 rpm. Video http://youtu.be/PuobnjDy3ia After 10 minutes no leaks, crazy sounds:nabble_anim_jump:

That’s great! Good job!