Bullnose Forums

Fixing Eddie

firefire

This dialog was had on the Corvette Forum:

• Can somebody tell me how to measure AN fitting sizes? I have a friend with an AN fitting at home, but he doesn't know what size it is. He needs an AN to 1/8" pipe adapter for his WWII jeep. So if I tell him to "grab a ruler and do this....." what would the "do this..." part be. :)

• scorp,

"16ths" so a -10 would be 10/16 or 5/8 and a -6 is 6/16 or 3/8 generally - numbers are even (4/6/8/10/12/16/20) BUT I have a -3 brakelines on my racer. Your best bet would be an Aeroquip catalog or a dealer because there is also the angle of the flare to think about. Perfomance AN fittings are 37degree who knows what they used in "the BIG one" WWll.

So if I understand that correctly, to get a 1" female fitting it would have to be "-16", or 16/16ths. But that doesn't say what the thread pitch is.

AN fittings bottom out at 12TPI.

(From the Wiki)

Screenshot_2021-09-23-19-18-04-502.thumb.jpeg.95746e11ed65494e9839bb6c6457f785.jpeg

Just like I was trying to point out the other day that -4, which is 3/16 ID is not the same as 3/16 brake line (that is 1/8" ID, at best)

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AN fittings bottom out at 12TPI.

(From the Wiki)

Just like I was trying to point out the other day that -4, which is 3/16 ID is not the same as 3/16 brake line (that is 1/8" ID, at best)

Hi. Spent several hours today to fit the complete exhaust. Had to weld on a 2" extension on the muffler to make everything fit. Could not get a 12 AN fitting locally. A 3/4" cap ( and copper paste ) did the job.IMG_20210925_182210_4.thumb.jpg.99e27f7ab2614e8a544e1cfbcf5b823d.jpg Finally started up Eddie. Had a little leak at the headers at cylinder 5, but stopped when tightening the screw up He ran a little uneven but I thought he was a little rusty. There were som blue smoke. Which I thought might be caused by oil/ grease in the new pipes. After 20 minutes Eddie stopped. What ? Thats not Eddie ! Could I have missed with the spark wires ?

Sure, number 5 and 6 were misplaced. Fixed that. No more blue smoke. And Eddie ran like a champ.

IMG_20210925_182522_2.thumb.jpg.f6cd9de6a35a17cd1add2791a04c181b.jpg Then I went for a drive. What a nice sound:nabble_smiley_good: When cruising at 50 mph there is a little more sound inside than before. Can compensate that with the volume button :nabble_smiley_happy: There is some more to finish up befor the final report .

Stein

Hi. Spent several hours today to fit the complete exhaust. Had to weld on a 2" extension on the muffler to make everything fit. Could not get a 12 AN fitting locally. A 3/4" cap ( and copper paste ) did the job. Finally started up Eddie. Had a little leak at the headers at cylinder 5, but stopped when tightening the screw up He ran a little uneven but I thought he was a little rusty. There were som blue smoke. Which I thought might be caused by oil/ grease in the new pipes. After 20 minutes Eddie stopped. What ? Thats not Eddie ! Could I have missed with the spark wires ?

Sure, number 5 and 6 were misplaced. Fixed that. No more blue smoke. And Eddie ran like a champ.

Then I went for a drive. What a nice sound:nabble_smiley_good: When cruising at 50 mph there is a little more sound inside than before. Can compensate that with the volume button :nabble_smiley_happy: There is some more to finish up befor the final report .

Stein

I can't wait to hear him purr! Or roar!

Great job. :nabble_anim_claps:

Great job!

Hi. Have been out doing some more test driving. One thing that is annoying is the noise from the exhaust between 45 and 55 mph. It gnaws into my brain. It will be tiresome during long trips. So this evening I took off the chrome tip at the end of the exhaust. And went for an hours drive. Much better 🙂. There is still sound but it doesnt vibrate and drill into my brain. Hope you understand what I mean. In an effort to reduce heat radiation from the exhaust I wrapped it in.But the exhaust wrap could not take the heat. It smoked and smelled so bad that I got a little sick of the smell. IMG_20210927_164602_2.thumb.jpg.8ebefd843ff8055dd1f9ecdb4fc415f2.jpg IMG_20210927_164608_4.jpg.4b96d3feef16eae5769fc8b4b0f0edf0.jpg Got it off this evenig. Cheap junk. Took my Fluke and measured some temperatures. Headers 182'C, Y-pipe at junction 120'C, Cat 86'C. Will try to make a recording and video .

Greetings Stein

Hi. Have been out doing some more test driving. One thing that is annoying is the noise from the exhaust between 45 and 55 mph. It gnaws into my brain. It will be tiresome during long trips. So this evening I took off the chrome tip at the end of the exhaust. And went for an hours drive. Much better 🙂. There is still sound but it doesnt vibrate and drill into my brain. Hope you understand what I mean. In an effort to reduce heat radiation from the exhaust I wrapped it in.But the exhaust wrap could not take the heat. It smoked and smelled so bad that I got a little sick of the smell. Got it off this evenig. Cheap junk. Took my Fluke and measured some temperatures. Headers 182'C, Y-pipe at junction 120'C, Cat 86'C. Will try to make a recording and video .

Greetings Stein

I'm not in favor of exhaust wraps as they can hold moisture in. But maybe not at those temps! 182C = 360F. :nabble_smiley_oh:

As for the exhaust noise, that can be a major problem. And 45 - 55 MPH is a speed you'll be at frequently. So I fully understand wanting to kill the noise. Glad pulling the tip helped.

But you may find that over time the tone changes. Or the speed at which it comes in may vary. Big Blue's exhaust was loud at ~1800 RPM when it was new, and that RPM is 65 MPH in 5th. But now that I have maybe 3000 miles on it the sound has mellowed a bit and it doesn't bother me at 65. Maybe yours will change as well?

I'm not in favor of exhaust wraps as they can hold moisture in. But maybe not at those temps! 182C = 360F. :nabble_smiley_oh:

As for the exhaust noise, that can be a major problem. And 45 - 55 MPH is a speed you'll be at frequently. So I fully understand wanting to kill the noise. Glad pulling the tip helped.

But you may find that over time the tone changes. Or the speed at which it comes in may vary. Big Blue's exhaust was loud at ~1800 RPM when it was new, and that RPM is 65 MPH in 5th. But now that I have maybe 3000 miles on it the sound has mellowed a bit and it doesn't bother me at 65. Maybe yours will change as well?

Hi. The headers get very hot. I had no wrapping on them. Only the Y-pipe and back to the cat. But stuff close to the headers could benefit with shielding. This exhaust tip is more like an amplifier than a silencer.

How do I post sound and video ?

Hi. The headers get very hot. I had no wrapping on them. Only the Y-pipe and back to the cat. But stuff close to the headers could benefit with shielding. This exhaust tip is more like an amplifier than a silencer.

How do I post sound and video ?

I put sound and video on Youtube and then get the embed code. Tick the "Message is in HTML Format" box in your post and paste the embed code in.