Bullnose Forums

Fixing Eddie

firefire

Hi ๐Ÿ™‚. Now Eddie runs๐Ÿ˜†. With full throttle he jumps off. And that sound from the carburetor......Should have a better exhaust ๐Ÿค”... Heres outside ร…lesund And Eddie enjoying the wiev Greetings Stein

Beautiful pics! And glad you got the throttle to open fully. I'll bet that made a huge difference!

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi. It certainly did :nabble_smiley_good:

Hi. Made a little bracket to fasten the fuel pipe and a return spring for the throttle lever. IMG_20210828_114338_9.thumb.jpg.3c5152fecb4176e1378ace065f103b22.jpg Then a block of polyeratane (?) to raise and move the bracket for the gas wire. Will see how this block hols up in the longer therm. But it is much easier to cut, drill and tap then steel. The final set up.IMG_20210829_143454_8.thumb.jpg.a0ba6cc2770074db0d10fa3d8bdcde33.jpg Kept this arrangment for gas pedal stopIMG_20210829_145739_4.thumb.jpg.0d97ea9ea7ab8bc1beb305ecff138320.jpg Then a question. What is the practical difference when driving between the kick down lever attaching the carburetor to the transmission and the vacuum controlled kick down that happens when I give full throtlle ? The kick down lever is not attached now. Hope some understood my question :nabble_anim_crazy: Greetings Stein

ย 

Hi. Made a little bracket to fasten the fuel pipe and a return spring for the throttle lever. Then a block of polyeratane (?) to raise and move the bracket for the gas wire. Will see how this block hols up in the longer therm. But it is much easier to cut, drill and tap then steel. The final set up. Kept this arrangment for gas pedal stop Then a question. What is the practical difference when driving between the kick down lever attaching the carburetor to the transmission and the vacuum controlled kick down that happens when I give full throtlle ? The kick down lever is not attached now. Hope some understood my question :nabble_anim_crazy: Greetings Stein

The kickdown linkage positively forces the transmission into a lower gear when the throttle is fully opened.

The modulator uses vacuum to sense actual load on the engine, so it will shift even with steady throttle climbing a hill if the load on the engine causes it to lose rpm and got.

The two complement one another and are not exclusive.

The kickdown linkage positively forces the transmission into a lower gear when the throttle is fully opened.

The modulator uses vacuum to sense actual load on the engine, so it will shift even with steady throttle climbing a hill if the load on the engine causes it to lose rpm and got.

The two complement one another and are not exclusive.

I've run a C6 w/o a kickdown linkage. Worked fine and I could kick it down a gear with the shift linkage if needed. But it wouldn't kick down with the throttle.

I've run a C6 w/o a kickdown linkage. Worked fine and I could kick it down a gear with the shift linkage if needed. But it wouldn't kick down with the throttle.

Thanks Jim and Gary. Eddie shifts down like Jim described based on vacuum. And it works fine. Stein

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Jim and Gary. Eddie shifts down like Jim described based on vacuum. And it works fine. Stein

Hi.

Nothing much has happened the last 3 weeks. Eddie runs fine. Atumn has come with lower temperatures and shifting weather. Now the sun is shining and its 15`C. Nice. Project now is to install a complete Bassani exhaust. I got only the headers so far. The rest will come next week.IMG_20210918_144640_4.jpg.13e8e2d7baeb8cd1c9e9781f32d7696a.jpg They look fantastic. But I am not sure if there is enough room on the right side of the engine. They are made for 1988-1996 Bronco. #58150B. The last Bassani will ever make according to LMPerformance. Yesterday I took a break, to think. So I changed the gaskets for the valve covers. IMG_20210918_135407_8.thumb.jpg.7950bcc478954b249e295327a9f1cca1.jpgIMG_20210918_131705_9.jpg.c5ade079f4f7f7fb07be9116951a8387.jpg IMG_20210918_131726_5.jpg.80ee18c15a9f6ca1a3789f47df83f900.jpg Put the gaskets on without any silicon. Think they will be good without.

Regarding the headers. I have looked at photos of -88,-89 model Broncos and their engine bay seems to be identical to the -86. Or is there something I dont see ?

Well , out and check again .

Greetings Stein

IMG_20210917_194533_9__Kopi.thumb.jpg.4553956c13b7d61c58b6422fd173ceb4.jpg

Hi.

Nothing much has happened the last 3 weeks. Eddie runs fine. Atumn has come with lower temperatures and shifting weather. Now the sun is shining and its 15`C. Nice. Project now is to install a complete Bassani exhaust. I got only the headers so far. The rest will come next week. They look fantastic. But I am not sure if there is enough room on the right side of the engine. They are made for 1988-1996 Bronco. #58150B. The last Bassani will ever make according to LMPerformance. Yesterday I took a break, to think. So I changed the gaskets for the valve covers. Put the gaskets on without any silicon. Think they will be good without.

Regarding the headers. I have looked at photos of -88,-89 model Broncos and their engine bay seems to be identical to the -86. Or is there something I dont see ?

Well , out and check again .

Greetings Stein

A Bassani exhaust should sound really sweet!

And I agree, the engine compartments are the same size up through the years, so unless there is a difference in the inner fender, the fender liner, they should fit.

A Bassani exhaust should sound really sweet!

And I agree, the engine compartments are the same size up through the years, so unless there is a difference in the inner fender, the fender liner, they should fit.

Hi.

Thanks for your clarification Gary. Did not do anything with the headers today. I had 2 new motor mounts laying around. So I thought I might as well take out the old ones. That ended up taking several hours.

The front bolts holding the motor mounts are really har to get to. On the right side I removed the alternator.On the left side the oil filter. Even then they are hard to get to. The old were from 1986. The new were Marmon Ride Control A 2564. They fit perfectely.IMG_20210919_174926_2.jpg.7de4eef1a4a79352ba409961a3326306.jpg I had a jack under the oil pan to lift the engine. I loosened the fan shroud and disconnected the oil line to the oilcooler for the steering pump. Also loosened the nuts under the transmission mount.I am not sure it that is necessary IMG_20210919_182550_2.jpg.4a87f5ba7c64ee0f59c35c1b011abd59.jpg This worked good but the jack pulled engine backwards when lifting. After lowering engine almost down on the new mounts I had to force the engine forward to line up the mounting holes. After that tightening up the 2 bolts that holds the motor mounts to the motor. Next little problem was that the transfer case due to its off center weight caused the motor to lean to the left after letting it down. Solution. Jack up on the left side of oil pan.IMG_20210919_194848_2.jpg.e434787b0a7ec08462e9919f21e848c1.jpgThat leveled engine and I tightened up left and right side center bolts in the mounts and transmission mount before releasing the jack. So when darkness came I called it a day. Tomorrow I will clean up all the mess and tools after todays job.

Greetings Stein.

Hi.

Thanks for your clarification Gary. Did not do anything with the headers today. I had 2 new motor mounts laying around. So I thought I might as well take out the old ones. That ended up taking several hours.

The front bolts holding the motor mounts are really har to get to. On the right side I removed the alternator.On the left side the oil filter. Even then they are hard to get to. The old were from 1986. The new were Marmon Ride Control A 2564. They fit perfectely. I had a jack under the oil pan to lift the engine. I loosened the fan shroud and disconnected the oil line to the oilcooler for the steering pump. Also loosened the nuts under the transmission mount.I am not sure it that is necessary This worked good but the jack pulled engine backwards when lifting. After lowering engine almost down on the new mounts I had to force the engine forward to line up the mounting holes. After that tightening up the 2 bolts that holds the motor mounts to the motor. Next little problem was that the transfer case due to its off center weight caused the motor to lean to the left after letting it down. Solution. Jack up on the left side of oil pan.That leveled engine and I tightened up left and right side center bolts in the mounts and transmission mount before releasing the jack. So when darkness came I called it a day. Tomorrow I will clean up all the mess and tools after todays job.

Greetings Stein.

Looks like you did the job well, and safely. :nabble_anim_claps:

And you were wise to get the engine leveled as that could cause fitment problems with the headers.

Looking forward to the report on the headers and the full exhaust system.