Bullnose Forums

Fixing Eddie

firefire

Hi. Thought about your comment of moving the car back and forward before judging camber. I had also eased up the toe-in a little before I looked at the camber angle. The toe-in is 4mm. There is even wear of the tires. So I moved Eddie back and forward again. Checked with a level. Left front wheel was level. Right front wheel actually leaned a tiny bit in at the top. So thats very different from my first test. So I will go with it as is. When the day comes for the ball joints I can also put in new caster / camber bushings. So I will have to find something else to do.

Greetings Stein.

Hi.

Since I had a new brake hose for the rear axle I thought I would replace the old one. An hour work maybe ?

Not so. I soaked the fittings with rust release first. The fitting on the right side loosened nicely. The one on the left side loosened too from the hose. But was rusted stuck on the pipe. So to avoid twisting the pipe off I had to disconnect the other end from the wheel cylinder,IMG_20210704_132959_6.jpg.aaf8e176f80af505205db8176ea45ff0.jpgThat done I could unscrew the pipe from the old hose. Next was disconecting the hose from the pipe up in the frame. That fitting would not get loose. When you start rounding off corners its not fun. Then I dug out my old friend, Knipex.IMG_20210704_152112_2.thumb.jpg.d9ea933bab4b35a6a7a85f916edcff95.jpgThese bite harder than a hyena. With a snap the fitting came loose. Next was getting the rust stuck fitting loose from the pipe. Put it in a wise, aluminium on the jaws. Aplied lots of rust loosener but the fitting would not move.IMG_20210704_142740_8.thumb.jpg.0c842c0ee1d1dde8975e686570417e67.jpg Then I heated it up. More rust loosener. And jiggeling the fitting carefully right and left. Twisting the pipe as little as possible. I think I spent 20-30 minutes doing this before the fitting finally let go of the pipe. Then putting in the new hose. The new was thicker then then the old one. The pipe for the axle vent was barely long enough. IMG_20210704_141440_8.thumb.jpg.b8426e87fcb42a4ee1fecde3a9bcbdb2.jpg But I got it all together after 2 1/2 hours.IMG_20210704_230604_9.thumb.jpg.16c41a99d45875ac39188951433e4035.jpg Eddie got new motor oil, filter and new oil in the transfer case yesterday. Next up are changing the oil in the axles. None of them has drain plugs or an easily removable cover :nabble_smiley_uh: Tips ? Greetings Stein

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi.

Since I had a new brake hose for the rear axle I thought I would replace the old one. An hour work maybe ?

Not so. I soaked the fittings with rust release first. The fitting on the right side loosened nicely. The one on the left side loosened too from the hose. But was rusted stuck on the pipe. So to avoid twisting the pipe off I had to disconnect the other end from the wheel cylinder,That done I could unscrew the pipe from the old hose. Next was disconecting the hose from the pipe up in the frame. That fitting would not get loose. When you start rounding off corners its not fun. Then I dug out my old friend, Knipex.These bite harder than a hyena. With a snap the fitting came loose. Next was getting the rust stuck fitting loose from the pipe. Put it in a wise, aluminium on the jaws. Aplied lots of rust loosener but the fitting would not move. Then I heated it up. More rust loosener. And jiggeling the fitting carefully right and left. Twisting the pipe as little as possible. I think I spent 20-30 minutes doing this before the fitting finally let go of the pipe. Then putting in the new hose. The new was thicker then then the old one. The pipe for the axle vent was barely long enough. But I got it all together after 2 1/2 hours. Eddie got new motor oil, filter and new oil in the transfer case yesterday. Next up are changing the oil in the axles. None of them has drain plugs or an easily removable cover :nabble_smiley_uh: Tips ? Greetings Stein

You are wise to be careful and not twist the fittings off. Well done! :nabble_anim_claps:

And I think that 2.5 times what I expect in time is about usual for my projects. So it doesn't surprise me it too that long.

As for the axles, you can snake a small diameter hose down to the bottom of the axle housing if you work at it. Then connect that to a suction gun and you can drain the axle that way.

You are wise to be careful and not twist the fittings off. Well done! :nabble_anim_claps:

And I think that 2.5 times what I expect in time is about usual for my projects. So it doesn't surprise me it too that long.

As for the axles, you can snake a small diameter hose down to the bottom of the axle housing if you work at it. Then connect that to a suction gun and you can drain the axle that way.

Hi. Did as you proposed Gary. From the front axle I got all oil out. From the rear 2,9 l out of 3,1liter. IMG_20210705_090441_0.jpg.24d8771a8ddb4f415d662bd929011a15.jpg Filled them up again with new oil. While I was doing this the postman came. He came with a package from Rock Auto. Sometimes everything goes wrong :nabble_smiley_uh:IMG_20210705_094747_4.thumb.jpg.2f9c632a145a24ed9117cecf1495dc29.jpgThe package had big openings in both ends. So we had to check for missing parts. One shock absorber and a Ignition Lock Sylinder was missing. The rest was there : 5 shock absorbers, 2 motor mounts and 2 tailgate Support Cables. And a magnet picture of Vince`s Dodge :nabble_smiley_happy:Obviously the carton could not withstand the weight of its contents. Why cant the warehouses learn to pack heavy stuff ? The postman filled out his report and went. We had checked the boxes against the packing list, so ok. I opened 3 out of 5 boxes and saw they were the correct models I had ordered. So I had the 4 shock absorbers for the front axle. Jacked up Eddie, put him on stands and off with the wheels. Out with the old shock absorbers. Then I saw that the shortest shock did not have a sleeve in the lower bushing. Wanting to finish this I cut a pipe that fitted inside the bushing.IMG_20210705_155946_7.thumb.jpg.bbe1b54876d74b5fcbf31462d70d065c.jpg Then the long one. That one would not return from compressed with out considerably force. Had to hold it in a wise to be able to pull it out. After that it slowly came back from compressed. Took several minutes. Stupid me mounted both shocks. Then to the other side. Off with the old ones. The new long one operated normaly. Then I opened the second box with the short shock.IMG_20210705_165938_8.thumb.jpg.2b728f8b93ea9cdddc3b7b3f6aa69646.jpgThis one had a hole in the side and were of course broken. Then I realised that the boxes with the short shocks had been opened before and taped shut with clear tape. I am sure they have been returned from some other customers because of their defuncts. And by mistake ( I hope ) ended up in the warehouse inventory and sent to me. Now I have sent a complaint to Rock Auto. Their return / refund system usually works good. I have asked for a refund on all shocks except the long one that was ok and the one I got for the rear axle. I have lost faith in Monroes OESpectrum. There must be something better, but what ? Greetings Stein.

Hi. Did as you proposed Gary. From the front axle I got all oil out. From the rear 2,9 l out of 3,1liter. Filled them up again with new oil. While I was doing this the postman came. He came with a package from Rock Auto. Sometimes everything goes wrong :nabble_smiley_uh:The package had big openings in both ends. So we had to check for missing parts. One shock absorber and a Ignition Lock Sylinder was missing. The rest was there : 5 shock absorbers, 2 motor mounts and 2 tailgate Support Cables. And a magnet picture of Vince`s Dodge :nabble_smiley_happy:Obviously the carton could not withstand the weight of its contents. Why cant the warehouses learn to pack heavy stuff ? The postman filled out his report and went. We had checked the boxes against the packing list, so ok. I opened 3 out of 5 boxes and saw they were the correct models I had ordered. So I had the 4 shock absorbers for the front axle. Jacked up Eddie, put him on stands and off with the wheels. Out with the old shock absorbers. Then I saw that the shortest shock did not have a sleeve in the lower bushing. Wanting to finish this I cut a pipe that fitted inside the bushing. Then the long one. That one would not return from compressed with out considerably force. Had to hold it in a wise to be able to pull it out. After that it slowly came back from compressed. Took several minutes. Stupid me mounted both shocks. Then to the other side. Off with the old ones. The new long one operated normaly. Then I opened the second box with the short shock.This one had a hole in the side and were of course broken. Then I realised that the boxes with the short shocks had been opened before and taped shut with clear tape. I am sure they have been returned from some other customers because of their defuncts. And by mistake ( I hope ) ended up in the warehouse inventory and sent to me. Now I have sent a complaint to Rock Auto. Their return / refund system usually works good. I have asked for a refund on all shocks except the long one that was ok and the one I got for the rear axle. I have lost faith in Monroes OESpectrum. There must be something better, but what ? Greetings Stein.

Glad you got the fluids changed. Sad you had such bad shipping. That is really a bummer!

I thought maybe Bilstein shocks are made in Germany, but it turns out that they are made here in the US in most cases. So unless you know of brands made there which would fit I don't have any suggestions.

Glad you got the fluids changed. Sad you had such bad shipping. That is really a bummer!

I thought maybe Bilstein shocks are made in Germany, but it turns out that they are made here in the US in most cases. So unless you know of brands made there which would fit I don't have any suggestions.

Hi. Decided to replace the door window glass channels. The old ones were trash.IMG_20210706_095140_9.jpg.7028f79a3388a03838e9ace2c1eee15b.jpgAnd as usual it took more time than planned. There were some rust that needed attention and also new paint.IMG_20210706_105139_5.thumb.jpg.09e39e7f71caa67087ab8db7a3ed8bee.jpgIMG_20210706_120000_6.thumb.jpg.65e666f40098ba83b9594fa30ee29b3a.jpgIMG_20210706_144433_9.jpg.f4a6af25bbbf18c22be3604b3f5e6bfe.jpgIMG_20210707_122701_6.jpg.bf07928d5de132a55ca351300eebd092.jpgIMG_20210707_123433_2.jpg.336d8eb16139718ff23f516ac5fb9fec.jpgThat little swing out glass took some time. When all is ready I lowered the glass in the door.IMG_20210707_125647_9.thumb.jpg.5268544415b347c74ccf9ab8fd683ba9.jpgWith the help of the rope its easier to lift it when you are putting it back in to the rails. Then in with the frame and put on new sealing.. It was surprisingly easy to press it in the rails. The more difficult part is to get the glass in place. I tipped the forward rail backwards to give the needed clearance to get the arm for the window motor back in its rail again.IMG_20210707_131444_6.jpg.64c8cc46253f557a15bce8e75de6975c.jpgIMG_20210707_131212_7.thumb.jpg.10671292d76d617cf0eb97df0eedac16.jpgIMG_20210707_131425_5.thumb.jpg.9be0fad4922353878dcdb79c7a12758d.jpgAnd the finished productIMG_20210707_144751_7.jpg.fd7291e88df6e5b5feb0b1384787b669.jpg A different thing that bothered me were loose vents. Tape a strip of Velcro back on both ends and they fit snug. Then they sit in your wanted position.IMG_20210707_164143_6.thumb.jpg.ab8cb19724d6ae7da5ae320de64264c8.jpg What else ? Got a DAB adapter mounted. Norway doesnt use the FM band any more. Filled up the tank. Tomorrow we will go for a weeks holiday. I may give you some reports during the trip. Greetings Stein.

Hi. Decided to replace the door window glass channels. The old ones were trash.And as usual it took more time than planned. There were some rust that needed attention and also new paint.That little swing out glass took some time. When all is ready I lowered the glass in the door.With the help of the rope its easier to lift it when you are putting it back in to the rails. Then in with the frame and put on new sealing.. It was surprisingly easy to press it in the rails. The more difficult part is to get the glass in place. I tipped the forward rail backwards to give the needed clearance to get the arm for the window motor back in its rail again.And the finished product A different thing that bothered me were loose vents. Tape a strip of Velcro back on both ends and they fit snug. Then they sit in your wanted position. What else ? Got a DAB adapter mounted. Norway doesnt use the FM band any more. Filled up the tank. Tomorrow we will go for a weeks holiday. I may give you some reports during the trip. Greetings Stein.

Well done! But yes, it always takes longer than expected. Still, you results are excellent.

A week with the Bronco? Cool! I do hope you'll share your experiences with us. :nabble_smiley_good:

Well done! But yes, it always takes longer than expected. Still, you results are excellent.

A week with the Bronco? Cool! I do hope you'll share your experiences with us. :nabble_smiley_good:

Hi. Now we have been travelling for 2 days. Eddie has been behaving very good. Only thing is his gas consumption. 10,6 mpg..

Its been a lot up and down. Hills with 10% climbing and such.IMG_20210709_165702_6.jpg.130e6ea645f66d9b302f97568b9ca4b7.jpgIMG_20210710_074330_3.jpg.7e59bb2924ca2f11f7e1b22273a15410.jpgIMG_20210710_161007_5.jpg.755fb5239a684db24a5214967da14edc.jpg Ă…lesund-Geiranger-Sognefjellet-Hardanger. Exactely why he is so thirsty I dont know. Summer price for 1 litre gas is 18 NOK. Apr. $ 9 pr. gallon.

Hi. Now we have been travelling for 2 days. Eddie has been behaving very good. Only thing is his gas consumption. 10,6 mpg..

Its been a lot up and down. Hills with 10% climbing and such. Ă…lesund-Geiranger-Sognefjellet-Hardanger. Exactely why he is so thirsty I dont know. Summer price for 1 litre gas is 18 NOK. Apr. $ 9 pr. gallon.

Beautiful scenery!

The C6 automatic transmissions aren’t known for good MPG. If I get 10.6 in my truck I’m pretty happy.

I actually think the PO put in an aftermarket torque converter. Because I have gotten 11.3 MPG on flat ground running 60-65 MPH. Around 10 MPG in the mountains.

Its been a lot up and down. Hills with 10% climbing and such. Ă…lesund-Geiranger-Sognefjellet-Hardanger. Exactely why he is so thirsty I dont know. Summer price for 1 litre gas is 18 NOK. Apr. $ 9 pr. gallon.

Yes, beautiful! Please keep the pictures coming!

I should have asked, is that the Hardangerfjord? We cruised down it to Eidfjord. Is that where you were?