Bullnose Forums

Fixing Eddie

firefire

Hi.

Vacation is only one week away. Eddie runs good. Time for a oil change. Replaced the tie rod end adjusting sleeves. The old on the right side was some way uncentered / bent.A new one I am using a special measuring tape which can measure inside and out like a caliper.Then its easier to get things back in correct position.

Had a little oil leak from around the oil filter. Finally found out it was from the pipe that holds the oil pressure sensor. I also found some gasket sealer inside the pipe Found gasket sealer on the threads on both sensor and tube. Would you recommend tape as a thread sealer or some fluid ?

Next up was a insert I had made for the exhaust tip. Based roughly on a silencer.The exhaust did not get silenced but the frequency changed. And the drone I had at about 50 mph vanished. And a test after welded in. Hope to get everything fixed up in the weekend. Summer has not been so good the last 3 weeks. My Italian friends think it is already atumn :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig: Greetings Stein.

Oh. Two horses. I think the old one looks better.

Nice job! I like the tail pipe insert!

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi.

Vacation is only one week away. Eddie runs good. Time for a oil change. Replaced the tie rod end adjusting sleeves. The old on the right side was some way uncentered / bent.A new one I am using a special measuring tape which can measure inside and out like a caliper.Then its easier to get things back in correct position.

Had a little oil leak from around the oil filter. Finally found out it was from the pipe that holds the oil pressure sensor. I also found some gasket sealer inside the pipe Found gasket sealer on the threads on both sensor and tube. Would you recommend tape as a thread sealer or some fluid ?

Next up was a insert I had made for the exhaust tip. Based roughly on a silencer.The exhaust did not get silenced but the frequency changed. And the drone I had at about 50 mph vanished. And a test after welded in. Hope to get everything fixed up in the weekend. Summer has not been so good the last 3 weeks. My Italian friends think it is already atumn :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig: Greetings Stein.

Oh. Two horses. I think the old one looks better.

It is amazing how much difference that makes in the exhaust sound. Glad the drone went away, those can be obnoxious. :nabble_smiley_good:

On the pipe, I like to use a PTFE goo, but I have used Teflon tape. However, I make sure to keep it two turns back of the end so it can't get into the oiling system.

• 2 weeks later...

It is amazing how much difference that makes in the exhaust sound. Glad the drone went away, those can be obnoxious. :nabble_smiley_good:

On the pipe, I like to use a PTFE goo, but I have used Teflon tape. However, I make sure to keep it two turns back of the end so it can't get into the oiling system.

Hi. A new little report. After I had put back the pipe and the oil pressure sensor I still had a oil leak manifesting it self as oil outside the oil filter and on the side of the oil pan.IMG_20220724_131046_2.thumb.jpg.d8e6983d9b7becf50d0c9c937211a516.jpg Then I found the real source of the leak was at the front of steering pump. So found out I had to fix this 5 days before going on vacation. I had a rebuild set for the pump already. First I tried to pull the pulley like this.IMG_20220731_130153_4.thumb.jpg.c239856e0945b06646179c39093c0241.jpgNot a great idea. The puller started tearing the edge off the pulley where it grips the pulley. Monday morning I ordered a puller for these pulleys. I got it on wednesday morning. The puller worked ok and I got the pulley off. Heres how I pressed the cover on the pump down to get the locking ring out.IMG_20220803_172012_5.thumb.jpg.7be040998c46871201fcbc35cf8190d8.jpgHere is the partsIMG_20220803_155259_2.thumb.jpg.164465876e54344da7748e8803a6a3ba.jpgAnd dont let the pump slip out off your hands :nabble_smiley_cry:I did and one of the 10 small springs vanished. I managed luckily to find all 10 small plates on the floor. Found a spring in a box that looked and felt good enough after trimming to a fitting lenght. So reassembled the pump with new seals and o-rings. Put the pump back in , started up and listened for the big crash.. But it works flawlessly. So Thursday thos week we left this weatherIMG_20220804_101123_6.jpg.c66e79296a49d472f52af19c23c0e194.jpgIts been chilly and raining for almost 4 weeks. Went to Notodden in Telemark for thisIMG_20220806_123540_5.jpg.4ed4fce6773a4101409115f1ffcd976f.jpg Its a 11 hour ride. Yesterday we listen to Shemekia CopelandIMG_20220805_195608_0.jpg.d459fbe1d44b10bf910c72254075e7be.jpg She has been on my radio at home many times under my work on Eddie.We are still at Notodden Blues Festival. Were we are going later is unclear. Riding after the sun.

Greetings Stein

Hi. A new little report. After I had put back the pipe and the oil pressure sensor I still had a oil leak manifesting it self as oil outside the oil filter and on the side of the oil pan. Then I found the real source of the leak was at the front of steering pump. So found out I had to fix this 5 days before going on vacation. I had a rebuild set for the pump already. First I tried to pull the pulley like this.Not a great idea. The puller started tearing the edge off the pulley where it grips the pulley. Monday morning I ordered a puller for these pulleys. I got it on wednesday morning. The puller worked ok and I got the pulley off. Heres how I pressed the cover on the pump down to get the locking ring out.Here is the partsAnd dont let the pump slip out off your hands :nabble_smiley_cry:I did and one of the 10 small springs vanished. I managed luckily to find all 10 small plates on the floor. Found a spring in a box that looked and felt good enough after trimming to a fitting lenght. So reassembled the pump with new seals and o-rings. Put the pump back in , started up and listened for the big crash.. But it works flawlessly. So Thursday thos week we left this weatherIts been chilly and raining for almost 4 weeks. Went to Notodden in Telemark for this Its a 11 hour ride. Yesterday we listen to Shemekia Copeland She has been on my radio at home many times under my work on Eddie.We are still at Notodden Blues Festival. Were we are going later is unclear. Riding after the sun.

Greetings Stein

Well done, Stein!!!!

Yes, getting the pulley off and a power steering pump apart is a challenge. But you obviously got it done, just in time.

But that is quite a drive. I looked it up on the map and on Google. Apparently that blues festival is the best in Europe. WOW!

And that stave church in the town is really amazing. Beautiful scenery! Have fun, and stay safe.

Well done, Stein!!!!

Yes, getting the pulley off and a power steering pump apart is a challenge. But you obviously got it done, just in time.

But that is quite a drive. I looked it up on the map and on Google. Apparently that blues festival is the best in Europe. WOW!

And that stave church in the town is really amazing. Beautiful scenery! Have fun, and stay safe.

Hi. Here is Eddie visiting Stavkirka i Heddal. Buildt by the vikings around year 1200.IMG_20220807_113558_0.jpg.69026ba7aba3e3f76589f101b5d64cf7.jpgHere is a church in Dovre. Buildt in 1736. Later covered with plates of skifer, stone.385389533719359451.thumb.jpg.7cba18a5d6c026ff0d7d81825179ed8c.jpg-6128713972760302106.thumb.jpg.90e5a8435d77a288685c6bfdbc1baf7b.jpg Yesterday we crossed a lake in Telemark with Norways smallest ferryIMG_20220807_131137_1.jpg.91c474ac56bb2c92e53ec2362c3252b7.jpg Eddie runs like a champ. 15mpg is good I think. We are around Skien south in Norway. Warm and sunny.IMG_20220808_190333_3.jpg.52d60b3f0134da75a4714c5a71dcee82.jpg

The oil pressure gauge is at the top of Normal at cruising. What do you think about that ?

Greetings Stein

Hi. Here is Eddie visiting Stavkirka i Heddal. Buildt by the vikings around year 1200.Here is a church in Dovre. Buildt in 1736. Later covered with plates of skifer, stone. Yesterday we crossed a lake in Telemark with Norways smallest ferry Eddie runs like a champ. 15mpg is good I think. We are around Skien south in Norway. Warm and sunny.

The oil pressure gauge is at the top of Normal at cruising. What do you think about that ?

Greetings Stein

Beautiful pictures! And that stave church building is amazing. WOW!

But the one covered in stone is awesome as well. Man, that had to add a whole bunch to the weight.

You are having a great time. And 15 MPG is really good. Glad Eddie is running so well. Keep on truckin'!

Beautiful pictures! And that stave church building is amazing. WOW!

But the one covered in stone is awesome as well. Man, that had to add a whole bunch to the weight.

You are having a great time. And 15 MPG is really good. Glad Eddie is running so well. Keep on truckin'!

Great read and pics as always!

Quick question regarding your mpg.

A US Gallon is 4 Liters.

A European Gallon is 4.54 Liters

Which are you using?

Hi. Here is Eddie visiting Stavkirka i Heddal. Buildt by the vikings around year 1200.Here is a church in Dovre. Buildt in 1736. Later covered with plates of skifer, stone. Yesterday we crossed a lake in Telemark with Norways smallest ferry Eddie runs like a champ. 15mpg is good I think. We are around Skien south in Norway. Warm and sunny.

Greetings Stein

Nice trip, thanks for the pictures!

About the church slate siding, first time I see it installed on walls. Usually we find these as roof covering. Interesting.

I am curious how they were able to cut so wide stone plates, they necessarily have to be thin.

I agree with Gary that the walls structure behind has to be strong!

Nice trip, thanks for the pictures!

About the church slate siding, first time I see it installed on walls. Usually we find these as roof covering. Interesting.

I am curious how they were able to cut so wide stone plates, they necessarily have to be thin.

I agree with Gary that the walls structure behind has to be strong!

Hi. As I can remember it the plates looked about 15 mm thick. They are split off of big rocks. The edges also seems to be finished with hammer and chisel. You may search for " ottaskifer " on Google. Hammer, chisel and man/ woman is still the key elements in producing skifer plates.

Greetings Stein