Bullnose Forums

Finding wheels for factory Type-3 hubcaps

I was just curious...

If I ever wanted to get a set of the type-3 original hubcaps that my truck more than likely came with when new, I guess I would also have to find a set of the original style steel wheels too eh?

Can you buy aftermarket steel wheels that have the little bumps on them for attaching hubcaps?

hubcaps.jpg.b88ba842d710aa86a9301cf0db20ef99.jpg

Following! I’m looking for a 15x6.0JK to replace the spare tire that fell out of the rack and went bouncing down the highway about 14 years ago!

I found the hubcaps on eBay but haven’t made a purchase yet. (One is missing after my truck spent some time at the shop. Must have come off during a test drive.)

Following! I’m looking for a 15x6.0JK to replace the spare tire that fell out of the rack and went bouncing down the highway about 14 years ago!

I found the hubcaps on eBay but haven’t made a purchase yet. (One is missing after my truck spent some time at the shop. Must have come off during a test drive.)

http://www.stocktonwheel.com/heavy_duty.html

here is a source for wheels, they do custom work as well as https://detroitsteelwheel.com/

Wheel Vintiques are available through Summit and have the nubs to hold 'poverty' style wheel covers.

Summit's eBay store offers 'free' shipping... but probably not to Canada. :nabble_smiley_angry:

They'd be fine for a 150, but note the advertised load capacity.

That said, I do have a pair on the front of my truck

For whatever it is worth: my son has a 1984 F150 2WD. The original steel wheels were 15 X 5.5" and the tires were 215/75 X 15.

It was decided to go with 235/75 X 15, but maintain originality as much as possible. A friend had a 1984 F150 4WD. He had replaced the steel rims [white on 4WD; black on 2WD] with factory alloy rims. I purchased the original rims which were 15 X 6.0". It was noted that for the 4WD, the rivets which hold the center to the rim are larger [stronger] and the factory offset was maintained. The rims [once painted black] looked identical and are date stamped as 1984.

For whatever it is worth: my son has a 1984 F150 2WD. The original steel wheels were 15 X 5.5" and the tires were 215/75 X 15.

It was decided to go with 235/75 X 15, but maintain originality as much as possible. A friend had a 1984 F150 4WD. He had replaced the steel rims [white on 4WD; black on 2WD] with factory alloy rims. I purchased the original rims which were 15 X 6.0". It was noted that for the 4WD, the rivets which hold the center to the rim are larger [stronger] and the factory offset was maintained. The rims [once painted black] looked identical and are date stamped as 1984.

That's good information David! :nabble_anim_handshake:

I was thinking wheel widths were more like my 7".

And that Cory would be looking for something like the '62 Series OE Chevy-Ford' wheels 5 x 5.5 15x7 with 4" backspacing. (62-575504. $95.70)

Do you know where the hub sits, relative to the bead on the stock wheels?

That's good information David! :nabble_anim_handshake:

I was thinking wheel widths were more like my 7".

And that Cory would be looking for something like the '62 Series OE Chevy-Ford' wheels 5 x 5.5 15x7 with 4" backspacing. (62-575504. $95.70)

Do you know where the hub sits, relative to the bead on the stock wheels?

Jim, does this help at all [visual]?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-1976-1991-FORD-BRONCO-F100-F150-E100-E150-15-STEEL-WHEEL-RIM-5-LUG-15x6/114119886493?hash=item1a9213469d:g:4nkAAOSw7bZeSxDK

David, I can't tell how deep the hub stamping is (when they show three pictures of the front) :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

I wouldn't want to have to clean that wheel up and put it back in service when a new one is $5 more.

Summit's eBay store offers 'free' shipping... but probably not to Canada. :nabble_smiley_angry:

lol, ya, in my world there is no such thing as free shipping, ever.

I used to take advantage of the US free shipping when I could get across the border, but Covid-19 ended that tout de suite as the French say!

In any case, I was just kind of curious about the original wheels. I'm not all that interested in spending big money, but I wouldn't mind having a set for the odd car show and whatnot. Sometimes that original look is desirable.

I've seen a few Chevys with new versions of the old while steel wheels and poverty caps, and they sometimes look really cool.

I'll have to keep my eye open for a set of the caps first, and then the wheels later;).

lol, ya, in my world there is no such thing as free shipping, ever.

I used to take advantage of the US free shipping when I could get across the border, but Covid-19 ended that tout de suite as the French say!

In any case, I was just kind of curious about the original wheels. I'm not all that interested in spending big money, but I wouldn't mind having a set for the odd car show and whatnot. Sometimes that original look is desirable.

I've seen a few Chevys with new versions of the old while steel wheels and poverty caps, and they sometimes look really cool.

I'll have to keep my eye open for a set of the caps first, and then the wheels later;).

If anyone is in Oregon, or wants to pay shipping for used, I have 4 or 5 of them that I'm planning to scrap.