Bullnose Forums

GOOD GUY'S GARAGE

Ray Cecil

That should work - as long as you do the pours soon. In 10 years you won't believe how much "stuff" you've acquired. (Don't ask!)

I've been married 9 years. I have no idea where all this stuff comes from. I just came home yesterday with a truck bed and 18' car trailer full of stuff from mom's house. It seems like we are always taking things to Goodwill or DAV. I just don't know where it comes from all the time. Mom has been going through her stuff for 6 months and she still has a ton. 4000 square foot home full of 40 years of living.....

Dad left me with his mess in his garage to clean up. I've been throwing away all kinds of stuff. He kept every product manual to every angle grinder or screw driver he ever bought. I had manual to things he threw away before I was born.

I had to go through his entire life's file cabinet. I found his taxes from 1975 all the way through 2016!! Every insurance policy, tax statement, receipt for a pack of gum in 1980 at the gas station that no longer exists....lol...it was NUTZ.

Stuff just piles up and you don't realize what you have.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been married 9 years. I have no idea where all this stuff comes from. I just came home yesterday with a truck bed and 18' car trailer full of stuff from mom's house. It seems like we are always taking things to Goodwill or DAV. I just don't know where it comes from all the time. Mom has been going through her stuff for 6 months and she still has a ton. 4000 square foot home full of 40 years of living.....

Dad left me with his mess in his garage to clean up. I've been throwing away all kinds of stuff. He kept every product manual to every angle grinder or screw driver he ever bought. I had manual to things he threw away before I was born.

I had to go through his entire life's file cabinet. I found his taxes from 1975 all the way through 2016!! Every insurance policy, tax statement, receipt for a pack of gum in 1980 at the gas station that no longer exists....lol...it was NUTZ.

Amen, brother! Just about 4 years ago we cleaned out my parent's house. They were products of the Depression and threw nothing away. So I fully understand.

In your case you get to move some of that stuff twice - out of the family home and then into the new home. Fun. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Well, I got the loft subfloor completed last night. Also bought the lumber to do the stairs. I haven't figured out what to do about handrail just yet.

What's the question on the handrail - material?

Exactly. I am not sure of the design yet.

I have a mountain of old barn wood I scavenged from my uncles farm before he sold it. I was thinking of taking that rough sawn wood and making the handrail from that.

I've got 2 16' long 6" x 6" solid red oak beams I don't know what to use them for. Overkill for just about anything. Inspector wouldn't let me use them for staircase stringers. I had to buy 2"x12"s

What's the question on the handrail - material?

Exactly. I am not sure of the design yet.

I have a mountain of old barn wood I scavenged from my uncles farm before he sold it. I was thinking of taking that rough sawn wood and making the handrail from that.

I've got 2 16' long 6" x 6" solid red oak beams I don't know what to use them for. Overkill for just about anything. Inspector wouldn't let me use them for staircase stringers. I had to buy 2"x12"s

There's a lot more strength in a 2x12 on edge than a 6x6. And if you are notching the stringer it makes the difference even worse.

Anyway, on the hand rail you want something smooth. Would you have to sand the wood to get it smooth? Or might pipe be easier?

There's a lot more strength in a 2x12 on edge than a 6x6. And if you are notching the stringer it makes the difference even worse.

Anyway, on the hand rail you want something smooth. Would you have to sand the wood to get it smooth? Or might pipe be easier?

I wouldn't have notched the 6x6. Solid Red Oak 6x6 I am venturing to say would be pretty equivalent in strength to a 2x12 in Spruce or Fir. It takes three people to lift each of these beams....I think they are on par with concrete lol!

I have a bunch of 1-1/2" or 2" Steel tubing I was considering for the job. Would be a lot of welding, and I don't have a good welder yet.

The rough sawn lumber wouldn't splinter your hands. Its dense hardwood, not weak splintery Fir or Spruce. The worse part of the rough sawn stuff is that everything is a different size. I'd need to get a table saw to get pieces within dimension.

I wouldn't have notched the 6x6. Solid Red Oak 6x6 I am venturing to say would be pretty equivalent in strength to a 2x12 in Spruce or Fir. It takes three people to lift each of these beams....I think they are on par with concrete lol!

I have a bunch of 1-1/2" or 2" Steel tubing I was considering for the job. Would be a lot of welding, and I don't have a good welder yet.

The rough sawn lumber wouldn't splinter your hands. Its dense hardwood, not weak splintery Fir or Spruce. The worse part of the rough sawn stuff is that everything is a different size. I'd need to get a table saw to get pieces within dimension.

Cutting the pieces to match sounds like a lot of work, but then welding up a tubing hand rail would be as well. Let us know what you decide, but I'll bet it will work well. :nabble_smiley_good: