Bullnose Forums

GOOD GUY'S GARAGE

Ray Cecil

That's interesting, Ray. It would look good, and you have the materials. But will it soak up oil, gas, and antifreeze that's spilled? And what about welding sparks?

I am thinking of pouring some long concrete footers to move my 4 post lift back and forth on. It has casters, so I was thinking...there are only tow positions in the entire garage the lift will be in. Why not make a track that the lift can go back and forth from those two position? Then, all the cars I pull in the garage, only go to those two positions anyway. So one car or truck can fit on the lift and get rolled off to the side. The next car can sit directly on those footers. The rest of the floor can be wood paver.

Yes, it would soak up oil etc. Never caused an issue at US Steel, General Electric, Caterpillar, Alcoa, GM, Ford and others. They all use this flooring on their assembly lines.

When damaged I simply pull up a block with a slide hammer that has a lag screw welded to the tip of it. Replace the oil soaked piece. And be done.

I don't weld very much. It would take a lot of sparks to get a solid chunk of wood to ignite. I can barely get a fire going with dry sticks and matches......don't know how I'd set the floor on fire.

As nice as that looks I would never use it in a working garage.

Look up Yale & Towne Manfg. fire Stamford CT.

This building had wood floors soaked for years with machine oil.

1 spark is all to took to bring down this building.

Now if you want to have an office in 1 corner and do the floor in it then go for it but a work in garage give me cement!

Dave ----

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now if you want to have an office in 1 corner and do the floor in it then go for it but a work in garage give me cement!

Dave ----

Dave, did you read the article? Caterpillar, Ford, General Electric, places all over europe use this flooring method. I highly doubt I will be spending decades soaking this floor in oil etc. Comparing Yale & Towne Manufacturing to my shop is apples and oranges.

Concrete is obviously a good choice. But I want something warm and beautiful, cheap and easy to repair.

Dave ----

That's basically what I was thinking. Oil-soaked wood might be easier to ignite than you think.

That's basically what I was thinking. Oil-soaked wood might be easier to ignite than you think.

Maybe I just thought inside my head, but I thought I mentioned that any paver that gets oil on it can be easily replaced. I can also put a rubber mat down under the lift.

You guys think all these big manufacturers dont take fire hazard risk into account?

Maybe I just thought inside my head, but I thought I mentioned that any paver that gets oil on it can be easily replaced. I can also put a rubber mat down under the lift.

You guys think all these big manufacturers dont take fire hazard risk into account?

You did say it. But I am judging you by myself, which isn't fair. I spilled ATF yesterday on the same floor where I welded a few days ago, and will be welding again soon. And I doubt I would have taken the time to replace a block.

As for GE and the others, I doubt they have welding where they have liquids like oil and gas. But my shop isn't big enough to prevent that.

You did say that but why make more work for yourself and need to swap out oily wood blocks when cement is better option in my book.

You can coat cement to have different patterns and you can just wipe up a spill.

You know what they say it's your garage do as you wish. :nabble_anim_handshake:

Dave ----

You did say that but why make more work for yourself and need to swap out oily wood blocks when cement is better option in my book.

You can coat cement to have different patterns and you can just wipe up a spill.

You know what they say it's your garage do as you wish. :nabble_anim_handshake:

Dave ----

Yeah, I wont be welding anywhere near the area I could spill oil. I dont plan to weld much at all really. If I have something to weld, I will take proper precautions.

If it works for Ford and Cat, it'll work for me.

Concrete is much more expensive. Ill spend about $6000 to put concrete in this barn, and that is only 40' x 40' of it. Still have another 40'x20'. To do the whole thing will be about $8500-$9000.

Wood pavers are free

Yeah, I wont be welding anywhere near the area I could spill oil. I dont plan to weld much at all really. If I have something to weld, I will take proper precautions.

If it works for Ford and Cat, it'll work for me.

Concrete is much more expensive. Ill spend about $6000 to put concrete in this barn, and that is only 40' x 40' of it. Still have another 40'x20'. To do the whole thing will be about $8500-$9000.

Wood pavers are free

Ive been organizing this morning. Fun.

20191026_103539.jpg.62a3cccafc4e9e0511b924cde3a6aedd.jpg