Bullnose Forums

GOOD GUY'S GARAGE

Ray Cecil

So here is the latest design on the floor. Still not 100% on the approach, but the guys at the ForestryForum have been helping me design it with their experiences with doing wooden floors. Its shiplap boards, on top of 1"x8" sleepers to screw to. The green layer is 1" EPS foam they put under concrete. There is a 1" layer under the sleepers, and in between the sleepers. This serves as a moisture barrier, and is lessens the condensation effect if the floor is cold and the air above it turns warm and moist. Shrinkage and swelling are a big factor in wood floors, especially in a pole barn. So taking the proper steps to limit moisture in the wood is critical to a decent service life.

Speaking of service life, I am in no way expecting to get the same life out of it as concrete. This is purely a "for fun" project. I'm not using T&G because I cannot pull up a damaged T&G floor board in the middle of the floor. Shiplap I can pull up and replace boards easily.

Now, with the mill, a place to air dry boards, and a brand new table saw and brand new planer, I've got what I need to attack this project. It'll be awesome when complete!

Wow, you really have the equipment! That should make the floor a piece of cake. But, getting the design nailed down (pun intended), is key. And that design looks good. :nabble_smiley_good:

When do you start making chips?

Wow, you really have the equipment! That should make the floor a piece of cake. But, getting the design nailed down (pun intended), is key. And that design looks good. :nabble_smiley_good:

When do you start making chips?

I'm picking up a load of Ash logs tomorrow. Then this weekend I'll start milling and stacking the slabs for air drying. It'll be spring before I can start final dimensioning of the floor boards. I have to let them get down to 10% moisture before I can start planing and do final edge cuts.

So this is going to be a looong project, but it will be worth it. In the mean time, I will be trying to collect Oak logs to mill for the interior walls. I might do a much thinner Shiplap, or possibly board and batten. Live edge siding looks pretty cool too. Maybe I'll mix it up and do all three!

I'm picking up a load of Ash logs tomorrow. Then this weekend I'll start milling and stacking the slabs for air drying. It'll be spring before I can start final dimensioning of the floor boards. I have to let them get down to 10% moisture before I can start planing and do final edge cuts.

So this is going to be a looong project, but it will be worth it. In the mean time, I will be trying to collect Oak logs to mill for the interior walls. I might do a much thinner Shiplap, or possibly board and batten. Live edge siding looks pretty cool too. Maybe I'll mix it up and do all three!

Gary Lewis wrote: "Wow, you really have the equipment! That should make the floor a piece of cake. But, getting the design nailed down (pun intended), is key. And that design looks good."

This project is just "plane" good! :nabble_smiley_whistling:

Ray - It does sound like it is a long journey. But it'll be a fun and interesting trip. Keep us posted. (:nabble_smiley_grin:)

David - Good one!

• 4 weeks later...

Keep us posted. (Get it? Post = wood. :nabble_smiley_oh:)

Anyway, that looks like an interesting approach. No finish on the wood? If not, the oil, brake fluid, et al will soak in and give it patina. But it won't hurt it.

A word to the wise might want to look up Yale towne & Lock fire is Stamford, CT.

It was an old think 3 floor wood floor building they did manufacturing in so the floors got a lot of oil on them.

Some how the building caught fire and the fire dept. could not put it out as the oil kept it going.

https://www.firehouse.com/home/news/10498379/sixalarm-fire-rips-through-connecticut-warehouse

It says lack of water psi, maybe so? but I knew a fire fighter and he told me oil on the old floors.

What do you think that black smoke was from?????

That was my home town up till 2015 and L.I. sound is less than a 1/4 mile at the end of the road.

1 of the fire houses was at the other end of the road as the building took up a full city block.

So be careful on that wood floor as any welding or torch cutting sparks can cause a fire.

Dave ----

• 2 weeks later...

Keep us posted. (Get it? Post = wood. :nabble_smiley_oh:)

Anyway, that looks like an interesting approach. No finish on the wood? If not, the oil, brake fluid, et al will soak in and give it patina. But it won't hurt it.

A word to the wise might want to look up Yale towne & Lock fire is Stamford, CT.

It was an old think 3 floor wood floor building they did manufacturing in so the floors got a lot of oil on them.

Some how the building caught fire and the fire dept. could not put it out as the oil kept it going.

https://www.firehouse.com/home/news/10498379/sixalarm-fire-rips-through-connecticut-warehouse

It says lack of water psi, maybe so? but I knew a fire fighter and he told me oil on the old floors.

What do you think that black smoke was from?????

That was my home town up till 2015 and L.I. sound is less than a 1/4 mile at the end of the road.

1 of the fire houses was at the other end of the road as the building took up a full city block.

So be careful on that wood floor as any welding or torch cutting sparks can cause a fire.

Dave ----

FUZZFACE,

Thanks for the advice. However, I will be slowing down on working on cars awhile. Once the barn is finished out, it'll probably remain more of a woodcraft shop. I'll get the Impala back up and running, and I'll get another truck sometime soon. I really don't plan on doing much restoration work for awhile, so I doubt I'll be doing much grinding or hotwork in the garage. If I do, I'll take proper precautions.

UPDATE: Ive got some wood sawn....Not too much yet. This is an old pic, I have a couple more layers on this stack. But we are learning and making progress, slowly. What you see here is all Ash. I've sawn Cedar, Locust and Ash so far.

20181104_145214.jpg.636662a1299ea017032984f000b6a1fe.jpg

FUZZFACE,

Thanks for the advice. However, I will be slowing down on working on cars awhile. Once the barn is finished out, it'll probably remain more of a woodcraft shop. I'll get the Impala back up and running, and I'll get another truck sometime soon. I really don't plan on doing much restoration work for awhile, so I doubt I'll be doing much grinding or hotwork in the garage. If I do, I'll take proper precautions.

UPDATE: Ive got some wood sawn....Not too much yet. This is an old pic, I have a couple more layers on this stack. But we are learning and making progress, slowly. What you see here is all Ash. I've sawn Cedar, Locust and Ash so far.

How long do you have to store it before you can use it? I'm sure that varies by the type of wood though.

How long do you have to store it before you can use it? I'm sure that varies by the type of wood though.

I know that the EMC (Equilibrium Moisture content) needs to reach 13% for my geographical region. How long it will take depends on several factors. Species, ambient temps, relative Humidity, air flow, thickness, width....I've been told I will be able to use it sometime in the summer probably.

I've got a lot of logs to go cut. My neighbor runs a beagle club. They have 40 acres of woods, and thousands of dead or dying ash trees. He said I can have it all. So, planning on getting pretty much everything I need there.

I know that the EMC (Equilibrium Moisture content) needs to reach 13% for my geographical region. How long it will take depends on several factors. Species, ambient temps, relative Humidity, air flow, thickness, width....I've been told I will be able to use it sometime in the summer probably.

I've got a lot of logs to go cut. My neighbor runs a beagle club. They have 40 acres of woods, and thousands of dead or dying ash trees. He said I can have it all. So, planning on getting pretty much everything I need there.

You might be able to speed the process by laying a few of these (with their internal t'stats defeated) under your stack:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GYGGLI8

• 3 weeks later...

You might be able to speed the process by laying a few of these (with their internal t'stats defeated) under your stack:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GYGGLI8

Change of Plans.....looks like christmas this year my Uncle is giving me a concrete floor!!!

We are starting up a business together, and we are starting it in my garage. So I am donating the space, and he is putting in the floor.