Bullnose Forums

How to remove a 1985 F-150 4X4 shift knob

dennisb

You didn't say which knob, but most of them have a little spring that you depress with a hook. Let me take a pic and I'll show you. Meanwhile, which knob?

Ok, here are wiper and headlights knobs, and you can see the spring. The shaft is too big to go through with the spring at that angle, but when you are installing the knob the spring gives and lets the knob go on. But then the spring comes back and binds the shaft. So to release it you take a small tool bent in an L or a J and reach in at the slot and depress the spring and the knob comes off. But it is easier said that done, as I was reminded two hours ago taking those off.

The HVAC knobs are similar but there's not any notch.

Headlight__Wiper_Knobs.thumb.jpg.72f0d830aaeae5bde7aab7e3164e6fcb.jpg

You didn't say which knob, but most of them have a little spring that you depress with a hook. Let me take a pic and I'll show you. Meanwhile, which knob?

I think a shift knob would be on the gear selector sticking out of the top of the transmission.

And in that case, it would depend on which gearbox, but most are pressed onto splines on the end of the stick.

If you mean the automatic stalk on the right side of the steering column, they are definitely molded on.

I think a shift knob would be on the gear selector sticking out of the top of the transmission.

And in that case, it would depend on which gearbox, but most are pressed onto splines on the end of the stick.

If you mean the automatic stalk on the right side of the steering column, they are definitely molded on.

:nabble_smiley_blush: He said "Shift Knob" in the title. I missed it. :nabble_head-slap-23_orig:

I think Shaun said a few of the early, like 1980, manual transmission shift knobs were screwed on or had a set screw. But an '85 should have a pressed-on knob like you said, Jim.

:nabble_smiley_blush: He said "Shift Knob" in the title. I missed it. :nabble_head-slap-23_orig:

I think Shaun said a few of the early, like 1980, manual transmission shift knobs were screwed on or had a set screw. But an '85 should have a pressed-on knob like you said, Jim.

1980-early 1982 manual transmissions had threaded shift knobs with a nut to tighten against them. After that they were all splined, and glued?.

But the OP said he has a non-original knob on the lever, and is wondering how to remove it. So we would need to see a picture of the knob in order to help figure out how to remove it.

1980-early 1982 manual transmissions had threaded shift knobs with a nut to tighten against them. After that they were all splined, and glued?.

But the OP said he has a non-original knob on the lever, and is wondering how to remove it. So we would need to see a picture of the knob in order to help figure out how to remove it.

Good point, Shaun. I missed that as well.

I have an aftermarket knob that uses set screws.
It's the 4X4/transfer case shift knob.

DENNIS A. BYRNE

"THANK GOD WE'RE NOT GETTING ALL THE GOVERNMENT WE'RE PAYING FOR."

WILL ROGERS

On Fri, Jan 1, 2021 at 11:48 AM grumpin [via Bullnose Enthusiasts Forum] <redacted_email_address> wrote:

I have an aftermarket knob that uses set screws.
Thans Gary.

DENNIS A. BYRNE

"THANK GOD WE'RE NOT GETTING ALL THE GOVERNMENT WE'RE PAYING FOR."

WILL ROGERS

On Fri, Jan 1, 2021 at 12:25 PM Dennis Byrne <redacted_email_address> wrote: