Bullnose Forums

Greetings from Washington State

CRittaler

Hello! My name is Chris and I am originally from Victoria BC, Canada an am now residing in Marysville, WA. My background is Electrical Engineering with a focus on Electromagnetics and Photonics. The majority of my work background has been in the world of RF transmission and reception, specifically repeater infrastructure that emergency services use to communicate between each other and dispatch.

I purchased this basket case 1985 F250 XLT a couple of weeks ago. What I know about the truck:

460 gas engine was replaced with a reman ~3 years ago. The previous previous owner gave the paperwork for the work to the person I bought the truck off of.

The previous owner swapped the C6 auto for a ZF5-42 and transfer case intending to swap to 4x4 at some point in the future.

The truck is originally from California so it has suffered a lot of UV damage, mostly to the paint, bench seat and door cards.

Because it's a 460 from California and has factory AC is also came with the hot fuel option. The previous owner has hacked up the fuel system to install an inline fuel pump on the frame rail. The 6 port FSV is missing and was replaced with 2 3 port FSV and a manual toggle switch was installed to select the appropriate sending unit. At some point during the fuel work they ran out of hose clamps and instead decided that zip ties were appropriate to clamp the fuel hose over the now hacked up nylon fuel line.

I've been working on repairing the wiring harness under the truck since it's been hacked up and I've also been tracking down the trailer brake wiring that has also been hacked up.

The truck came with the canopy in the picture and was full of spare parts including a D50 TTB front axle to complete the 4x4 swap.

This is my first Ford product and my first big block. My other vehicles are my daily driver, a 1988 Suzuki Samurai, and my project car, a 1968 Dodge Dart.

I'm looking forward to scouring the forums for information and will likely have a lot of questions as I am not familiar with Ford workings.

131339415_10164847473745077_1299651766867251892_n.thumb.jpg.43b149fa06b480315ad1fb7014563df2.jpg

131823994_10164865039495077_8855624936948560534_o.thumb.jpg.dfe3674c4cb5b227998b98c9fd472821.jpg

Welcome Chris! :nabble_waving_orig:

While a D50 front axle is appropriate for an extended cab 250; swapping coil springs for leaves, boxing in the front of the frame to put shackles and swapping out the crossmember under the engine are BIG tasks.

While the truck has seen some weathering, be glad it hasn't spent winters in salt country.

(Superficial rather than structural damage)

I can help you straighten out the fuel system.

There were a number of changes to Hot Fuel Handling over the years.

Lastly I had a '64 Dart, slant six 3-on-the-tree back in high school.

Fun being the oddball!

While a D50 front axle is appropriate for an extended cab 250; swapping coil springs for leaves, boxing in the front of the frame to put shackles and swapping out the crossmember under the engine are BIG tasks.

While the truck has seen some weathering, be glad it hasn't spent winters in salt country.

Fun being the oddball!

Welcome!

Fun being the oddball!

I am interested in looking into it. The PO included a lot of bracketry off of the 4x4 he was scavenging parts from. I recognize some of them as spring hangers and leaf spring plates. I want to sort out the other issues with the truck first since it drives fine as a 2WD.

I have to sort the wiring and fuel issues, the power steering pump is hosed (PO used regular power steering fluid in it) and the brake booster is toast. I have a small coolant leak from a short hose that runs from timing cover to the intake if I am remembering correctly.

This truck is dual purpose, it's not likely to be a daily driver since I have the Samurai for that, but sometimes I need to make a run to the dump or pick up house supplies that wont fit in mine or my wifes car lol.

I am interested in looking into it. The PO included a lot of bracketry off of the 4x4 he was scavenging parts from. I recognize some of them as spring hangers and leaf spring plates. I want to sort out the other issues with the truck first since it drives fine as a 2WD.

I have to sort the wiring and fuel issues, the power steering pump is hosed (PO used regular power steering fluid in it) and the brake booster is toast. I have a small coolant leak from a short hose that runs from timing cover to the intake if I am remembering correctly.

This truck is dual purpose, it's not likely to be a daily driver since I have the Samurai for that, but sometimes I need to make a run to the dump or pick up house supplies that wont fit in mine or my wifes car lol.

The coolant bypass hose can be changed with the water pump in place if you cut it just the right length and fold it in half to get it onto the nipples front and back.

If the wiring and fuel lines are a mess the first thing to determine is if both in-tank pumps are delivering to spec.

Then we can fix the selector valve(s!?)

I'm not sure that power steering fluid trashed that pump.

Though Ford calls for type-F, the C2 pumps seem pretty resilient.

I can hear one turn a corner from a block away now that I know what I'm hearing.

The coolant bypass hose can be changed with the water pump in place if you cut it just the right length and fold it in half to get it onto the nipples front and back.

If the wiring and fuel lines are a mess the first thing to determine is if both in-tank pumps are delivering to spec.

I can hear one turn a corner from a block away now that I know what I'm hearing.

Good to know about the bypass hose, I'll have a look.

With regards to the wiring of the tank pumps, I was able to reach up and remove the plug from the front tank, where I discovered that the pump power wire was cut ~1" from the connector. I spliced new wire from the plug down to the harness where the front pump wire was cut as well. I then used a car jumpstart box to kick the pump on, it made noise, no idea what the output was though.

The rear pump is the same, I used an inspection camera to look at the wiring since my hands are too big to reach the connector and it has the same issue, the power wire was cut ~1" from the connector and cut again down by the main rear harness, I have to get the fuel out of the tank so that I can drop it low enough to get the tank connector off and fix the wiring.

The pump is leaking pretty severely so I have a replacement on hand. I have to flush the old fluid out of the box while I wait for my power steering pulley remover to arrive from Amazon.

Here's a preview of what I'm working with.

132130429_10164881624580077_3899064433895132599_o.thumb.jpg.57730b7e7bef1453d8b55941218b575a.jpg

The coolant bypass hose can be changed with the water pump in place if you

cut it just the right length and fold it in half to get it onto the nipples

front and back.

If the wiring and fuel lines are a mess the first thing to determine is if

both in-tank pumps are delivering to spec.

I can hear one turn a corner from a block away now that I know what I'm

hearing.

Quoted from:

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Greetings-from-Washington-State-tp83695p83700.html

Good to know about the bypass hose, I'll have a look.

With regards to the wiring of the tank pumps, I was able to reach up and remove the plug from the front tank, where I discovered that the pump power wire was cut ~1" from the connector. I spliced new wire from the plug down to the harness where the front pump wire was cut as well. I then used a car jumpstart box to kick the pump on, it made noise, no idea what the output was though.

The rear pump is the same, I used an inspection camera to look at the wiring since my hands are too big to reach the connector and it has the same issue, the power wire was cut ~1" from the connector and cut again down by the main rear harness, I have to get the fuel out of the tank so that I can drop it low enough to get the tank connector off and fix the wiring.

The pump is leaking pretty severely so I have a replacement on hand. I have to flush the old fluid out of the box while I wait for my power steering pulley remover to arrive from Amazon.

The coolant bypass hose can be changed with the water pump in place if you

cut it just the right length and fold it in half to get it onto the nipples

front and back.

If the wiring and fuel lines are a mess the first thing to determine is if

both in-tank pumps are delivering to spec.

I can hear one turn a corner from a block away now that I know what I'm

hearing.

Quoted from:

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Greetings-from-Washington-State-tp83695p83700.html

Uf!

They really did butcher the wiring. :nabble_smiley_argh:

:nabble_florida-man-42_orig: strikes again! :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

That filter is trussed up like a Christmas goose!

The pump volume should be a quart in 15 seconds.

This is found in the TSB, that can be found. 'Documentation'>fuel systems>460>TSB's

If the harness and hoses are hacked, the best answer is a Pollak six port switch valve kit with the wiring pigtail.

I have found these on eBay for $74 delivered to your door.

The same switch is sold as Wells, Airtek, SMP, Duralast and others, but all cost more and don't include the harness plug.

IIRC your '85 switches senders in the valve and not at the switch like my '87.

1985-etm-page105_1.jpg.8c7ee3325d9bcdf6930b0c27f4805536.jpg

1985-etm-page106_1.jpg.807e81d8a72ffa07d8ffc6896f923394.jpg

Before you pull the pulley off your power steering note if the belts align and if the pump shaft is flush with the front of the sheave.

This is your reference upon replacement. 💡

Just use the new pump to purge the box.

Remove the return line, fill the reservoir, crank the truck over with the coil wire removed or leave the belt off and turn by hand.

This will pump the reservoir dry, purge the box and return line.

Un-cap the reservoir return, connect the hose, refill, start the engine and turn the wheel lock to lock a couple of times.

This purges any air out of the system.

With the C2 never turn the wheel without the engine running.

It will pee fluid all over the underside of the hood (or everywhere if the hood is open)

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n83701/132130429_10164881624580077_3899064433895132599_o.jpg

The zip ties on the return line are probably ok as there should be no pressure there.

Not RIGHT, but not 'likely to cause an inferno' either...

Look at the documentation under 'fuel systems'>460 fuel systems, and note the TSB tab for test procedures.

Welcome! Glad you joined. :nabble_anim_handshake:

I think we've had some communications about that truck on FB. Hopefully their aren't two trucks butchered like that. :nabble_smiley_oh:

Looks like you and Jim have things going already. Another you need to hear from is Shaun/salans7. He can help you understand what is involved in converting a 2wd F250 to 4wd which, as Jim said, isn't the easiest of tasks.

Was it you that I was talking with about the fuel line connectors?

Last, we have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and we'd be happy to add you - with your permission.

Welcome! Glad you joined. :nabble_anim_handshake:

I think we've had some communications about that truck on FB. Hopefully their aren't two trucks butchered like that. :nabble_smiley_oh:

Looks like you and Jim have things going already. Another you need to hear from is Shaun/salans7. He can help you understand what is involved in converting a 2wd F250 to 4wd which, as Jim said, isn't the easiest of tasks.

Was it you that I was talking with about the fuel line connectors?

Last, we have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and we'd be happy to add you - with your permission.

Oh, forgot about the Dart! Tell us more, please. I have its big brother, a '69 Bee.