Bullnose Forums

Newer Style Master Cylinder Swap

Machspeed

Replaced both the brake booster and upgraded the master cylinder. With my factory lines, it was a direct bolt on with absolutely no modifications required. Only change I had to make was a small adjustment to the booster rod which is very important! I'll be doing a full right up on it soon.

Didn't like the nasty looking booster so pulled it and attempted to clean it up and repaint. It was badly pitted and I struggled to remove the old paint. I also think it was a source so I decided to replace it too. But, the paint on the new booster was garbage so I prepped it and sprayed it with two coats of my favorite epoxy. I still need to to bleed the system, but that won't happen until I get a few other things done.

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n86130/Upgraded_MC_1.jpghttp://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n86130/Upgraded_MC_2.jpg

That looks good. I think I might have to do this to Lucille someday. :nabble_smiley_good:

What is that empty electrical socket for on the left picture, right under the reservoir?

Replaced both the brake booster and upgraded the master cylinder. With my factory lines, it was a direct bolt on with absolutely no modifications required. Only change I had to make was a small adjustment to the booster rod which is very important! I'll be doing a full right up on it soon.

Didn't like the nasty looking booster so pulled it and attempted to clean it up and repaint. It was badly pitted and I struggled to remove the old paint. I also think it was a source so I decided to replace it too. But, the paint on the new booster was garbage so I prepped it and sprayed it with two coats of my favorite epoxy. I still need to to bleed the system, but that won't happen until I get a few other things done.

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n86130/Upgraded_MC_1.jpghttp://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n86130/Upgraded_MC_2.jpg

That looks good. I think I might have to do this to Lucille someday. :nabble_smiley_good:

What is that empty electrical socket for on the left picture, right under the reservoir?

That's for the low fluid warning connector.

You can repurpose the multifunction valve connector to light up the brake warning light if the reservoir gets low.

Standard equipment '87->

Because the later master has the residual pressure check valve incorporated into the rear port of the MC as previously discussed.

You can repurpose the multifunction valve connector to light up the brake warning light if the reservoir gets low.

Yes sir, I have it wired in on my 1984 Flareside. The Brake warning lamp will light up if the fluid gets low. The float switch has both NO and NC contacts, so you just have to connect to the correct two.

IMG_8128.jpg.eb0e8731e4a69b95d83ac15509a35ab4.jpg

Standard equipment '87->

Because the later master has the residual pressure check valve incorporated into the rear port of the MC as previously discussed.

Multifunction valve connector? What is that? Does my truck already have one?

Is it the wire that plugs into my brake proportioning valve?

Standard equipment '87->

Ford doesn't call it a proportioning valve, because that's not what it does.

But yes, that thing...

Standard equipment '87->

I think what you are referring to is the residual pressure check valve which you must have if you have drum brakes. If you have drum brakes, you have this valve. You have the larger master cylinder as I once had and it is built in to your master, not visible as it is on my mod unit. If you had all wheel drums, you would have two built into your master.

I read on one of the forums where some guy doing the same mod as I did, gutted the the residual pressure check valve using it as an adapter. Big mistake!

Standard equipment '87->

I think what you are referring to is the residual pressure check valve which you must have if you have drum brakes. If you have drum brakes, you have this valve. You have the larger master cylinder as I once had and it is built in to your master, not visible as it is on my mod unit. If you had all wheel drums, you would have two built into your master.

I read on one of the forums where some guy doing the same mod as I did, gutted the the residual pressure check valve using it as an adapter. Big mistake!

The check valve on the frame is to provide a federally mandated loss of pressure warning light on the instrument panel.

This came about in the '60's when they also mandated separate front and rear systems.

The spool moves over, cutting off the loss of fluid while also activating the switch controlling the light.

150's & 250/350's have detents that work opposite. Push in v/s pull out to reset.

Chris (Ctubitus) has section drawings comparing the two over on FTE.

Ford doesn't call it a proportioning valve, because that's not what it does.

But yes, that thing...

Actually, Ford calls it a proportioning valve, at least part of it. I know there's been a lot of debate over this, same as Stepside vs. Flareside, and the starter "solenoid" and Start Relay, etc, but it is what it is I guess.

brake_valve2.jpg.1aea6a8c4ac61fc3f878b335a3f01455.jpg

Brake_Valve.jpg.efe63305731663015be90ef10cbffe51.jpg