Bullnose Forums

Help with FI "y" pipe fitment on 85 300 I6

Tyler

pipe_1s.jpg.5d4350e7a388aba274d2e40180c14f2d.jpg

Pipe_2s.thumb.jpg.07edbc2b0617f5229263b5fab551d953.jpg

I am having some delayed success with installing the FI "y" pipe from Walker...It seems like the O2 sensor bung portion is bent too aggressively. I have an 85 and have exhaust manifolds from an 88. I ordered the "y" pipe for an 88 from Rock auto.

Have any of you found difficulty in accomplishing this? I had to cut off 4" from the end in order to clear the crossmember/trans mount. I know it looks rough, but I didn't bend this whatsoever.

I am about to file a return/replacement with Rock Auto depending on feedback from you guys.

Thanks in advance!

That's a pretty ugly bend! Sure to restrict the flow the way it is pinched and rippled. But I haven't been around the 300 nor its exhaust so can't say what other brands look like.

And, I'll caution that while I buy a lot of things from Rock Auto, their claims and returns rules aren't all that friendly. Just a heads-up.

That's a pretty ugly bend! Sure to restrict the flow the way it is pinched and rippled. But I haven't been around the 300 nor its exhaust so can't say what other brands look like.And, I'll caution that while I buy a lot of things from Rock Auto, their claims and returns rules aren't all that friendly. Just a heads-up.
Thank you for the input.  I'll keep my fingers crossed.

On Wed, Dec 23, 2020, 10:56 AM Gary Lewis [via Bullnose Enthusiasts Forum] <redacted_email_address> wrote:

Annoyingly I don't have any pics of the Y-pipe outside the truck or capturing that bend next to the bung. I bought mine from Advanced Auto and I did not have to cut anything. I suspect yours got bent in transit or packing.

Best picture I have. I have since wrapped that part of the pipe, so a picture now won't tell us much either.

IMG_3447.jpg.f43a411c0357e40343fe5c4ded04c49f.jpg

Annoyingly I don't have any pics of the Y-pipe outside the truck or capturing that bend next to the bung. I bought mine from Advanced Auto and I did not have to cut anything. I suspect yours got bent in transit or packing.

Best picture I have. I have since wrapped that part of the pipe, so a picture now won't tell us much either.

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n83426/IMG_3447.jpg

Thanks for the feedback. What brand and for what year model did you purchase through Advance?

VERY NICE frame-off setup, BTW...

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n83426/IMG_3447.jpg

Thanks for the feedback. What brand and for what year model did you purchase through Advance?

VERY NICE frame-off setup, BTW...

The part is Walker #45166. It appears it's no longer available... Bummer. It was $62 delivered to my door.

It you're already thinking about getting one made custom, go that route. I might eventually do the same. The short arm of the 'Y' is poorly welded at an extreme angle, which causes a definite restriction. The reviews said as much, but for the money I'm not complaining. Is the one from Rockauto similar? I imagine it's the same part.

The part is Walker #45166. It appears it's no longer available... Bummer. It was $62 delivered to my door.It you're already thinking about getting one made custom, go that route. I might eventually do the same. The short arm of the 'Y' is poorly welded at an extreme angle, which causes a definite restriction. The reviews said as much, but for the money I'm not complaining. Is the one from Rockauto similar? I imagine it's the same part.
Yes. Mine is the same but comes with the cat.  They no longer just sell the y pipe.  I still think mine is bent incorrectly but instead of buying another I'm just going to get a tow from a buddy when I'm ready to fire it up and have the whole exhaust built at a local shop. Then I can just drive it home.  Ideally.  Ideally...

Yes. Mine is the same but comes with the cat. They no longer just sell the

y pipe. I still think mine is bent incorrectly but instead of buying

another I'm just going to get a tow from a buddy when I'm ready to fire it

up and have the whole exhaust built at a local shop. Then I can just drive

it home. Ideally. Ideally...

20170121_082911.jpg.6811596af3c13ac41ffcde4ed7738968.jpg

I am not using the cat and yes that is the only way I could get the pipe w/cat.

I also don't remember needing to cut it to clear the cross member.

20170204_182323.jpg.029cc644377788d931bc13f3486feec8.jpg

Dave ----