Bullnose Forums

1985 F-150 Estate Sale Find - "Buried Treasure"

Jonhasemail

I would to say vans have the long dip sticks out the front so if the oil pans are the same and the motor was changed it could be a van motor / dip stick.

Are the 2 trucks 4x4? If so maybe that's why?

Dave ----

It's a truck dipstick, but they probably used it on the vans as well. Ford put it on the 5.0 EFI because there was too much stuff in the way to reach the traditional dipstick found on the carbed engines. I'd say they started using it in 1985 just slightly ahead of the 5.0 engines all becoming EFI in mid model year production around January or February 1985.

Wow learn something new everyday, I didn't know any different with the dipstick! This also explains a couple things as well during this rebuild when parts didn't fit as expected (like the gas tank).

This truck seems to be a mix of 1984-1985 parts, Ford mixed together during the production.

Wow learn something new everyday, I didn't know any different with the dipstick! This also explains a couple things as well during this rebuild when parts didn't fit as expected (like the gas tank).

This truck seems to be a mix of 1984-1985 parts, Ford mixed together during the production.

Ahh yes, the gas tank...I know there were changes in 1985 as I'm always reading about guys having trouble finding sending units for the 1985-1986 tanks (they had a larger opening?).

I know the 5.0 was available in both carbed and EFI versions in 1985, and then only in EFI in 1986. However, I don't know when exactly the change happened. A lot of people claim that the 5.0 EFI was "optional" in 1985, but I've read other info that goes against that. The early 1985 F-Series brochure has an asterisk with a footnote stating that the 5.0 EFI would be available in November 1984. Another member on here (Vinny) is very knowledgeable with the 5.0 EFI, and he mentioned one time that he has never seen a carbed 5.0 with a build date after January 1985. I know every time I see a carbed 5.0 1985, it has an earlier build date (fall of 1984), so it seems to me that in 1985 the earlier 5.0's were all carbed, and the later ones were all EFI. Still, lots of people say you could pick and choose either or.

Maybe Gary knows, and if he doesn't, I betcha Rick does.

By the way, the truck is looking great. That was a very cool find imho. Can't wait to see more of it.

Ahh yes, the gas tank...I know there were changes in 1985 as I'm always reading about guys having trouble finding sending units for the 1985-1986 tanks (they had a larger opening?).

I know the 5.0 was available in both carbed and EFI versions in 1985, and then only in EFI in 1986. However, I don't know when exactly the change happened. A lot of people claim that the 5.0 EFI was "optional" in 1985, but I've read other info that goes against that. The early 1985 F-Series brochure has an asterisk with a footnote stating that the 5.0 EFI would be available in November 1984. Another member on here (Vinny) is very knowledgeable with the 5.0 EFI, and he mentioned one time that he has never seen a carbed 5.0 with a build date after January 1985. I know every time I see a carbed 5.0 1985, it has an earlier build date (fall of 1984), so it seems to me that in 1985 the earlier 5.0's were all carbed, and the later ones were all EFI. Still, lots of people say you could pick and choose either or.

By the way, the truck is looking great. That was a very cool find imho. Can't wait to see more of it.

I don't know, but could probably figure it out from the 1985 Dealer Fact Book. Don't have it on line and I'm in the house - with ice between here and there. Maybe tomorrow?

I don't know, but could probably figure it out from the 1985 Dealer Fact Book. Don't have it on line and I'm in the house - with ice between here and there. Maybe tomorrow?

Haha, Gary no don't even bother. It's not worth the effort...it's just me blabbering. I'll leave the thread alone while we all wait for updates!

In addition to that larger tank bung (that started in '85 AFAIK) some 351 & 460 trucks had mechanical fuel pumps, so only had a two point harness connector for the sender.

Then you have my situation, where I have a mechanical pump, but the later (Bricknose) 16-160 ohm sender.

Thankfully we've learned there is a signal converter available to solve the problem of my 'one year wonder'

• 4 weeks later...

Some pictures our bullnose engine bay with work done so far...

Transmission is still getting finished up... Hoping to get her on the road shortly!

Hey everyone!

An update finally, the transmission is back/installed and running well!

Had a couple other things that needed attention including:

-Replacing turn signal switch, relay, and flasher

-Swapping out headlamps

-Replacing EGR Valve

-Repairing some of the vacuum lines

-Fixed the visors

Next on the list is to replace the window felts, and likely see if I can get the heater core swapped out, as it's currently bypassed. Also planning on doing a higher level of wash job on the exterior later this week.

IMG_5439.thumb.jpg.bed51a3703269d592e526857bc2d28ce.jpg

IMG_5449.thumb.jpg.61a7782ab6d5cc3d3fe367a0d76358ec.jpg

IMG_5448.thumb.jpg.568d7d993ef8969b8882daef0ff8db2c.jpg

IMG_5443.thumb.jpg.a20e666ebfce1d0db6349e29d5d5df50.jpg

IMG_5442.thumb.jpg.44b8cd639d3c79508d96ed51057ab472.jpg

IMG_5441.thumb.jpg.7bdbb4cb71589207ae2b1118a2fa4652.jpg

IMG_5432.thumb.jpg.ebe1fd743bd5cb0bdab83e2256415cbf.jpg

IMG_5434.thumb.jpg.0dd0c01e997dadbd40deaa09e64db800.jpg

IMG_5435.thumb.jpg.cc69e28d2de246900773d2be85fb948d.jpg

IMG_5440.thumb.jpg.449c8beba372cd1106a2b8a7626124eb.jpg

IMG_5444.thumb.jpg.aa05a7e9cb0318d29f136d952e7e5c2d.jpg

Hey everyone!

-Swapping out headlamps

-Replacing EGR Valve

-Fixed the visors

Next on the list is to replace the window felts, and likely see if I can get the heater core swapped out, as it's currently bypassed. Also planning on doing a higher level of wash job on the exterior later this week.

Well done! It is really looking good. :nabble_anim_claps:

With some cleaning and buffing it is going to shine. :nabble_smiley_good:

EDIT: On the window felts, I've tried to staple them in and wound up breaking the door panel. Now I pop rivet them in and use washers to spread the load on the backside.

Hey everyone!

-Swapping out headlamps

-Replacing EGR Valve

-Fixed the visors

Looks good to me! :nabble_smiley_good:

Hey everyone!

-Swapping out headlamps

-Replacing EGR Valve

-Fixed the visors

Awesome!

That bed doesn't look like it's ever had a load in it. 😉

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n90614/IMG_5448.jpg

Love this truck (And I love rescue stories too!). The wheels and tires look great, and she sits up nice on the suspension too, perfect!

Here's a picture of what I did with my window felts. I used little pieces of sheet metal as washers. I drilled the 1/8" holes in the sheet metal first obviously, and then cut them out in little squares. Worked great.

IMG_8320.jpg.95ea2d2055f89bd302d9630959e9cc22.jpg

IMG_8323.jpg.39a622d360dbe503fb5444ac6258c2b5.jpg