Bullnose Forums

1985 F-150 Estate Sale Find - "Buried Treasure"

Jonhasemail

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting. I'd never seen one in at that angle. Thanks, Vic.

Ha! That dipstick caught my eye also. My 1984 5.0 has the shorter dipstick that is closer to the back. I thought that this longer forward dipstick only showed up on the 5.0 EFI, but Ford probably starting using it earlier in 1985 regardless of carb or EFI.

I would to say vans have the long dip sticks out the front so if the oil pans are the same and the motor was changed it could be a van motor / dip stick.

Are the 2 trucks 4x4? If so maybe that's why?

Dave ----

I would to say vans have the long dip sticks out the front so if the oil pans are the same and the motor was changed it could be a van motor / dip stick.

Are the 2 trucks 4x4? If so maybe that's why?

Dave ----

It's a truck dipstick, but they probably used it on the vans as well. Ford put it on the 5.0 EFI because there was too much stuff in the way to reach the traditional dipstick found on the carbed engines. I'd say they started using it in 1985 just slightly ahead of the 5.0 engines all becoming EFI in mid model year production around January or February 1985.

image_9b616b2c45a4a92faf6a074b49bc612fc10b3410.jpeg.ce03669ef9a5520f7252e724580d0aa3.jpeg

Ha! That dipstick caught my eye also. My 1984 5.0 has the shorter dipstick that is closer to the back. I thought that this longer forward dipstick only showed up on the 5.0 EFI, but Ford probably starting using it earlier in 1985 regardless of carb or EFI.

I thought it was just me. The ds in my 84 5.8L is unattached to the motor at the top end near the finger-pull, seemingly shorter and practically vertical, and each time I have to check the oil I have to clamber up, over and in to the engine bay. From a distance it looks I fell in!