Bullnose Forums

Windshield Wipers - Pin vs Hook Style

Gary Lewis

I guess I've just never ran across one that doesn't. Likely due to buying them off the shelf so more generic/multi-fit.

The last set I bought were Rain-X Latitudes and they state:

Pinch Tab, Large J-Hooks, Large Pin Arms, Narrow Pinch Tab Button, Pinch Tab Button, Small J-Hooks, Small Pin Arms

I guess they fit everything! :nabble_smiley_oh:

I looked at both of our newer vehicles and they both have the J-hooks. So when I wanted new arms that seemed like a good way to go.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I guess they fit everything! :nabble_smiley_oh:

I looked at both of our newer vehicles and they both have the J-hooks. So when I wanted new arms that seemed like a good way to go.

Definitely not against upgrading - especially for consistency. Just didn't realize it limited the selection as I'd not ran into that before. Personally, I'd rather avoid the adapter as well.

Definitely not against upgrading - especially for consistency. Just didn't realize it limited the selection as I'd not ran into that before. Personally, I'd rather avoid the adapter as well.

Interestingly enough I went backwards, I went from hook style to pin style, but that was mostly due to parts I had laying around after I stripped a few hook styles from heavy snow and me being lazy.

I actually went with a shorter passenger blade because my linkage bushings were very worn out and was bottoming out on the trim. I think I was down to a 16" at one point. Truck wasn't worth pulling the cowl off.

I was thinking of powder coating the arms I have. But you shouldn't powder coat springs so that meant it wasn't going to be easy. Someone, Jim I think, pointed out that the J-hook arms went right on our trucks and they come powder coated. Problem solved.

But I haven't installed them as I haven't bothered to get blades. The other day we had Big Blue out and got covered with road spray several times, only to discover that the washer didn't work well and the blades were bad. So Janey said "You need to get new blades." I'm just trying to follow my wife's orders. :nabble_smiley_happy:

Funny, I was looking at my wipers just a little bit ago and wishing they were the type that could be placed in an unwarranted position as some do when expecting freezing conditions. Was this type of wiper not available on our trucks or are my wipers the low budget ones?

Funny, I was looking at my wipers just a little bit ago and wishing they were the type that could be placed in an unwarranted position as some do when expecting freezing conditions. Was this type of wiper not available on our trucks or are my wipers the low budget ones?

To the best of my knowledge, the only way to park them off the glass is to pull out the retainer latch.

I was thinking of powder coating the arms I have. But you shouldn't powder coat springs so that meant it wasn't going to be easy. Someone, Jim I think, pointed out that the J-hook arms went right on our trucks and they come powder coated. Problem solved.

But I haven't installed them as I haven't bothered to get blades. The other day we had Big Blue out and got covered with road spray several times, only to discover that the washer didn't work well and the blades were bad. So Janey said "You need to get new blades." I'm just trying to follow my wife's orders. :nabble_smiley_happy:

If you are going powdercoated then it has my vote :nabble_smiley_good:

Didn't realize the newer ones were already.

If you are going powdercoated then it has my vote :nabble_smiley_good:

Didn't realize the newer ones were already.

My Ranger uses the same 18" blades recommended for the bullnose trucks (my Ranger has j-hooks) and there's always almost 5 different types of adapters in the package. Can't speak for pins though, but I wouldn't be surprised if the beam styles didn't come with adapters for pins.

Im sorry I havent read the entire thread yet but I really prefer the hook style. They clip in and youre done. The pins always cause me problems.

I like the NAPA Exact Fit, which are (I assume) Trico Exact Fit. Had real good results with them.

ETA: I switched my Bronco over to J hook and haven’t noticed anything. The blades I have bought would fit both pin and j hook.