Bullnose Forums

Windshield Wipers - Pin vs Hook Style

Gary Lewis

As some of you know I've ordered a pair of the hook-style windshield wiper arms to put on Big Blue. And if you don't know the difference, I've included a picture of ends of the arms below. But suffice to say that the Bullnose trucks use the older pin style arms and some time later Ford, and much of the rest of the industry, went to the hook style.

I don't know that one is better than the other but I'm told the selection of wiper blades is better for the hook-style arms, so that's the way I'm going. But now I need to find out what size of blades to go with, which is mainly the subject of this thread.

The old blades on Big Blue measure 18" long, but the passenger's side is symmetrical while the driver's side has 10" above the pin and 8" below the pin. I've measured and it looks to me like with the new arms, which may be 1/4" shorter, I could go with 20" symmetrical wipers.

So, for those who've done this change, what wiper size did you go with? And do you have any tips?

Bullnose_Windshield_Wipers.thumb.jpg.032817e27b6b149a202895c04ad3fd47.jpg

Pin_vs_Hook_Wiper_Arm_Ends.thumb.jpg.19c5460dd9da05fa184b0dcaf053b087.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have 21" blades Gary.

But that might be pushing it.

They do not contact the windshield trim at any point and have much more overlap at the center (IMO)

If there is any downside it may be that the arm spring force is spread over more area, resulting in less squeegee pressure -if that makes any sense-

Try 20. They'll be fine.

I have 21" blades Gary.

But that might be pushing it.

They do not contact the windshield trim at any point and have much more overlap at the center (IMO)

If there is any downside it may be that the arm spring force is spread over more area, resulting in less squeegee pressure -if that makes any sense-

Try 20. They'll be fine.

Yes, it does make sense about the spring force. Anyway, I'll try 20" blades. Thanks.

I haven't "done this change" since my '97 started with them. But I'm using 18". Not suggesting you stay that short, just sayin' that's what I happen to have,

Thanks, Bob. I think I'll try the 20's. That is what Blue has on it and I thought about pulling those to try them, but if Jim has 21's on I should be safe with the 20's.

I think when I ordrered my last set I just used what was recommended on the manufacturers site so no help there. As far as the blade selection goes though, don't all of them still come with the adapter?

I don't know about the adapter, but I wanted new arms as mine were getting in bad shape, so ordered the hook-style. But you are saying that new blades come with an adapter to allow fitting to the pin-style arms? I guess I've not bought wiper blades in a while.

Now I'm looking for good wiper blades. Bill recommended the AutoZone Duralast. My reading says that the Bosch Icon are highly rated. Other ideas?

I think when I ordrered my last set I just used what was recommended on the manufacturers site so no help there. As far as the blade selection goes though, don't all of them still come with the adapter?

A lot of the beam style blades have no way to adapt them to pins, from what I've found.

That I wanted to try different blades, and my pins were just getting too sloppy is what caused me to switch.

ETA: Bosch icon, for one...

A lot of the beam style blades have no way to adapt them to pins, from what I've found.

That I wanted to try different blades, and my pins were just getting too sloppy is what caused me to switch.

Jim - I was about ready to pull the trigger on the Bosch Icons, but I thought I'd wait maybe until after Christmas as I've spent a ton lately (this year?) on the truck. So that gives me time to get other input. :nabble_smiley_wink:

I guess I've just never ran across one that doesn't. Likely due to buying them off the shelf so more generic/multi-fit.

The last set I bought were Rain-X Latitudes and they state:

Pinch Tab, Large J-Hooks, Large Pin Arms, Narrow Pinch Tab Button, Pinch Tab Button, Small J-Hooks, Small Pin Arms