Bullnose Forums

Screaming Starter: Bad Bendix?

ratdude747

At least not randomly and if the truck is still running fine (has compression).

My powermaster starter overruns but that's just because it's overpowered for my compression.

Scott, I'm not really understanding what you mean by "overruns"

My understanding of overrun is when the starter is being driven by the engine.

And even if you had a 10hp starter the pinion gear would retract as soon as power stopped being driven through the reverse helix in the bendix.

Scott, I'm not really understanding what you mean by "overruns"

My understanding of overrun is when the starter is being driven by the engine.

And even if you had a 10hp starter the pinion gear would retract as soon as power stopped being driven through the reverse helix in the bendix.

Overruns isn't the right term then. We'd discussed it here awhile back as I was concerned but from what I recall it was just decided that due to the gearing of the starter it just makes more of a whirring noise.

I don't want to derail from ratdude's truck though - I only mentioned it because my understanding was that it is making that noise because it was made for higher compression engines and that was going back to compression being the only reason I could think of for a starter to run faster, all else unchanged.

Overruns isn't the right term then. We'd discussed it here awhile back as I was concerned but from what I recall it was just decided that due to the gearing of the starter it just makes more of a whirring noise.

I don't want to derail from ratdude's truck though - I only mentioned it because my understanding was that it is making that noise because it was made for higher compression engines and that was going back to compression being the only reason I could think of for a starter to run faster, all else unchanged.

I don't want to derail his thread either.

But he has a moveable pole type starter, and im trying to get a handle on why:

It would spin faster

Sound like it was crappy mesh, with a new ring gear.

I agree with you. If there was no compression it would turn over quickly.

Didn't realize (remember) your starter was gear reduction, Scott

I don't want to derail his thread either.

But he has a moveable pole type starter, and im trying to get a handle on why:

It would spin faster

Sound like it was crappy mesh, with a new ring gear.

I agree with you. If there was no compression it would turn over quickly.

Didn't realize (remember) your starter was gear reduction, Scott

Sorry - I meant that I had derailed it with an apples to orange comparison. :nabble_smiley_blush:

I just remembered that I had taken recordings so maybe if ratdude could do that also to try and capture both a normal and fast start it might spark some ideas?

Sounds like the solution is a third truck :nabble_smiley_wink:

Truck runs fine once running? Power feels normal?

Never heard it cause the starter spin faster and it's just throwing parts at it, but swapping out the fender mounted relay is an option that doesn't leave the truck down.

Yeah, I'll wipe out my bonus on another truck... I wish. If anything, I need to replace my wife's 2002 Escape that's a pile of rust and a puddle of leaked tranny fluid. But anyway...

---

Engine runs as well as always. Starts easily (as long as the choke is set when cold, obviously), gets the same "crappy" 12-13MPG it has been getting (and I've learned to live with, it's not rolling coal so I really dunno).

Yeah, I'll wipe out my bonus on another truck... I wish. If anything, I need to replace my wife's 2002 Escape that's a pile of rust and a puddle of leaked tranny fluid. But anyway...

---

Engine runs as well as always. Starts easily (as long as the choke is set when cold, obviously), gets the same "crappy" 12-13MPG it has been getting (and I've learned to live with, it's not rolling coal so I really dunno).

Is there a chance you could record the starter first thing on a cold morning?

Like Scott said, it might help us figure out what's wrong with it.