Bullnose Forums

Long tube headers

Matt Wood

Matt,

I have long tube headers under my 1982 Bronco 351W, no issue's at all with heat or fitment. We have made a custom stainless connection from the headers going aft. I stayed with the one side exit on the right rear wheel, but this can altered anyway you want.

Basically from the headers, we installed the V shape clamp, coming across underneath C6 oil pan and join them before going over the gearbox frame. This piece is one item, but easy to remove when needed. In de picture you see that I have installed a valve that I can open before the silencer, this one we still need to join over the silencer, rather than being open to the floor.

See pictures.

Andre - As always, that looks superb!

Matt - I know how close you are to that Bronco. When Andre gets back to Amsterdam this spring, and after you get the vaccine, you two should get together. Post a pic for us. :nabble_smiley_good:

Matt,

I have long tube headers under my 1982 Bronco 351W, no issue's at all with heat or fitment. We have made a custom stainless connection from the headers going aft. I stayed with the one side exit on the right rear wheel, but this can altered anyway you want.

Basically from the headers, we installed the V shape clamp, coming across underneath C6 oil pan and join them before going over the gearbox frame. This piece is one item, but easy to remove when needed. In de picture you see that I have installed a valve that I can open before the silencer, this one we still need to join over the silencer, rather than being open to the floor.

See pictures.

WOW Andre! Thanks for that great info, What make are your headers? Im fully expecting to have to make a full custom exhaust from the headers back and i also have a valve in my current setup :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig: just for those kick down moments lol

Gary / Andre, im only a few hundred miles away from central Amsterdam id love a meetup! id almost be tempted to look into the ferry logistics to bring the truck over! Furthering Gary, you're over this way next year right? (Covid Dependant) We could all have a meet up here! you're definitely going to drive past me if you plan to go anywhere other than London! I have a few friends over here with broncos (newer) and im sure they'd love to have a little bronco show! What are your two's thoughts?

WOW Andre! Thanks for that great info, What make are your headers? Im fully expecting to have to make a full custom exhaust from the headers back and i also have a valve in my current setup :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig: just for those kick down moments lol

Gary / Andre, im only a few hundred miles away from central Amsterdam id love a meetup! id almost be tempted to look into the ferry logistics to bring the truck over! Furthering Gary, you're over this way next year right? (Covid Dependant) We could all have a meet up here! you're definitely going to drive past me if you plan to go anywhere other than London! I have a few friends over here with broncos (newer) and im sure they'd love to have a little bronco show! What are your two's thoughts?

Yep, I thought you'd pick up on how close the two of you are. Or actually, you are to his Bronco as Andre is in Spain painting his house at the moment. And the ferry runs from Harwich to Hook, so it would be an easy journey. :nabble_smiley_good:

But unfortunately we won't make it to the UK in 2021. We've taken a decision to wait at least another year and let the virus settle down before strapping into a metal tube with hundreds of other people of unknown health. So you two go ahead and meet and post a pic, please!

Matt,

My long tubes (Hedman, I think) rub the front DS at the collector. It's not bad and could be heated up/turned a bit or shaved off a little and wouldn't rub, but just something to keep in mind. Mine is lifted 4" and that's when I believe the rubbing started. Just FYI. I am looking at some mid-length style headers from Stans Headers as mine are rusting out anyways. Pricey but I've read some great things.

Matt,

I have no idea what make those headers are, cant find anything like it online either, and there is nothing written on them. If needed I will copy those again, as they fit perfectly.

Yep, I thought you'd pick up on how close the two of you are. Or actually, you are to his Bronco as Andre is in Spain painting his house at the moment. And the ferry runs from Harwich to Hook, so it would be an easy journey. :nabble_smiley_good:

But unfortunately we won't make it to the UK in 2021. We've taken a decision to wait at least another year and let the virus settle down before strapping into a metal tube with hundreds of other people of unknown health. So you two go ahead and meet and post a pic, please!

Gary, I totally agree with your decision, especially with what has begun to happen here! We are basically all into full lockdown again within about 4 hours notice so it must be serious! Suposidly the 'new' strain here is 70% more contagious! Disaster!

Jason, Thanks for the detailed info, i was looking a headman ones and i also have a 4 inch lift! Its likely that i would have run into the same issue. The only rubbing after the lift makes me think i will have that issue with all headers that 'fit' like the Tri-Y's Andre has.

What is everyones opinion on getting a pair of stainless flanges and making my own headers... does that sound like an 'impossible' task?

Gary, I totally agree with your decision, especially with what has begun to happen here! We are basically all into full lockdown again within about 4 hours notice so it must be serious! Suposidly the 'new' strain here is 70% more contagious! Disaster!

Jason, Thanks for the detailed info, i was looking a headman ones and i also have a 4 inch lift! Its likely that i would have run into the same issue. The only rubbing after the lift makes me think i will have that issue with all headers that 'fit' like the Tri-Y's Andre has.

What is everyones opinion on getting a pair of stainless flanges and making my own headers... does that sound like an 'impossible' task?

Do you have experience TIG welding stainless or doing pipe fit-ups Matt?

While it would be a challenge, the cost of buying a welder, having a well ventilated fireproof place to do it, and the scrap needed to practice might prove a deal breaker.

It might be a challenging prospect to farm out as well, because of the need to have the truck there to check and optimize each bend as it is tacked together before fully welding them up.

409 is a ductile grade of stainless that welds rather well.

It will develop some surface corrosion but has many advantages.

Check the comments here: https://www.maperformance.com/blogs/maperformance-blog/77005123-409-and-304-stainless-steel-bet-you-didnt-know-these-details

A place to look is steam and pipefitters that work in pharmaceutical or food plants.

Dairy's -for example- need a tremendous amount of stainless tubing welded to sanitary standards.

I looked at Doug Thorley when I saw Andre's header, and it seems they have "stainless kits coming soon"

Do you have experience TIG welding stainless or doing pipe fit-ups Matt?

While it would be a challenge, the cost of buying a welder, having a well ventilated fireproof place to do it, and the scrap needed to practice might prove a deal breaker.

It might be a challenging prospect to farm out as well, because of the need to have the truck there to check and optimize each bend as it is tacked together before fully welding them up.

409 is a ductile grade of stainless that welds rather well.

It will develop some surface corrosion but has many advantages.

Check the comments here: https://www.maperformance.com/blogs/maperformance-blog/77005123-409-and-304-stainless-steel-bet-you-didnt-know-these-details

A place to look is steam and pipefitters that work in pharmaceutical or food plants.

Dairy's -for example- need a tremendous amount of stainless tubing welded to sanitary standards.

I looked at Doug Thorley when I saw Andre's header, and it seems they have "stainless kits coming soon"

Jim,

I have zero experience in tig welding but do have a tig welder (i have done mig and my mig welder can do tig as well) I am usually pretty good at taking my hand to things so am confident i could at least tack it all together and then take it to someone else to weld for a final finish.

Id have no choice but to go with a 30x stainless as we use LOTS of salt on the roads here and i cant have it corroding on me right away, id like to keep the nice clean look. Unfortunaly welding is much less common over this side of the pond so id have to pay a premium to have someone do a nice job of finishing it, although im not apposed to that provided im happy with the results!

Id idealy like to go down the bolt on route like Andre's but it may not be possible. Ill have to be patient and see what the outcome is of Brexit and covid over here.

Jim,

I have zero experience in tig welding but do have a tig welder (i have done mig and my mig welder can do tig as well) I am usually pretty good at taking my hand to things so am confident i could at least tack it all together and then take it to someone else to weld for a final finish.

Id have no choice but to go with a 30x stainless as we use LOTS of salt on the roads here and i cant have it corroding on me right away, id like to keep the nice clean look. Unfortunaly welding is much less common over this side of the pond so id have to pay a premium to have someone do a nice job of finishing it, although im not apposed to that provided im happy with the results!

Id idealy like to go down the bolt on route like Andre's but it may not be possible. Ill have to be patient and see what the outcome is of Brexit and covid over here.

I don't see Thorley offers anything for these older trucks any more.

304 is okay to weld, but you must back purge or it crystalizes and turns black.

Crystalization leads to cracks, especially something vibrating like an engine.

I have a magnaflow tail pipe in 409.

It is holding up just fine, as are my factory headpipes.

But they are discolored and have the protective corrosion mentioned.

A note about welding stainless.

It is not very heat conductive, so a much smaller weld pool than the same settings on carbon steel.

As I said, dairy, food processing, pharma and restaurant fabricators all TIG stainless all day every day.

Here in the States (at least where I am near NYC) the Chinese have the restaurant supply market cornered.

The work is good and the prices reasonable (competitive)