Bullnose Forums

New Brakes

Matt Wood

thanks all, i definitely dont want to be paying $700 just for the cylinder lol, doing that i may as well put discs all round as it will come to the same price! i will look into getting a hydraboost off a bigger newer f series truck and going down that route, are the pedal assy's interchangeable (bolt right up?)

I will still likely need to fly over to get all these bits as rock auto and all other places charge massive amounts for the shipping. right now the shipping for a standard M/C and Booster is about $130 plus 25% tax on both the cost of the parts and the cost of the shipping lol. Silly money!

Matt, you don't want Hydroboost from a 450 truck.

The ratios are all wrong for a 150/Bronco with their smaller calipers.

Ford has a number of vehicles (Mustangs, Lincoln's) that have similar diameter caliper pistons to your Bronco and these Hydroboost units are better suited to your truck.

With the bigger bore of a SuperDuty master, the caliper pistons will move a lot, but sensitivity and power are compromised.

thanks all, i definitely dont want to be paying $700 just for the cylinder lol, doing that i may as well put discs all round as it will come to the same price! i will look into getting a hydraboost off a bigger newer f series truck and going down that route, are the pedal assy's interchangeable (bolt right up?)

I will still likely need to fly over to get all these bits as rock auto and all other places charge massive amounts for the shipping. right now the shipping for a standard M/C and Booster is about $130 plus 25% tax on both the cost of the parts and the cost of the shipping lol. Silly money!

The pedal itself will swap from a '95 truck to a Bullnose truck. But the housing the pedal goes into won't swap. So you pull the shaft out of both housings and just swap the hydroboost pedal in.

Or, if you have access to the equipment, remove the pin from a standard pedal, drill a new hole higher up, and tack weld it in. I'm pretty sure the dimensions are available on here for where the pin goes.

Doing it that way would be my recommendation for you in the UK for two reasons. First, you don't have to find the right pedal. But second, the right pedal doesn't work well with the vacuum dump valve for the speed control. Start reading in Big Blue's thread here for a discussion of that. So if you just move the pin you won't have that problem.

The pedal itself will swap from a '95 truck to a Bullnose truck. But the housing the pedal goes into won't swap. So you pull the shaft out of both housings and just swap the hydroboost pedal in.

Or, if you have access to the equipment, remove the pin from a standard pedal, drill a new hole higher up, and tack weld it in. I'm pretty sure the dimensions are available on here for where the pin goes.

Doing it that way would be my recommendation for you in the UK for two reasons. First, you don't have to find the right pedal. But second, the right pedal doesn't work well with the vacuum dump valve for the speed control. Start reading in Big Blue's thread here for a discussion of that. So if you just move the pin you won't have that problem.

On both of my trucks I replaced the booster, put in braided lines, new pads all around, rebuilt the rear drums with new springs and slaves. Then flushed the old brake fluid out and put new stuff in.

That was enough of an improvement for me. Both vehicles stop really well and have good pedal feel. I have locked them both up under controlled testing!

It is not that expensive to do and it is very straightforward.

On both of my trucks I replaced the booster, put in braided lines, new pads all around, rebuilt the rear drums with new springs and slaves. Then flushed the old brake fluid out and put new stuff in.

That was enough of an improvement for me. Both vehicles stop really well and have good pedal feel. I have locked them both up under controlled testing!

It is not that expensive to do and it is very straightforward.

I think that is my short term plan, we still have a good 4-5 months of 'winter' here so dont want to do anything too major. Im planning on making my own braided lines and hoping that will make a good enough difference in the short term, who knows it might end up good enough and ill stick with it for good!

Gary, i completely forogot about the vac speed ocntrol switch! thanks for the heads up, i will do some more research and maybe revive this thread a few months down the line when / if i am able to order all the parts and such, at the momnet lots of companies are 'halting' shipping from europe as we finalise the brexit deals and all parts that come over from the states stop off in cologne therefore would never arrive :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

Jim, thanks for that, my original thoughts were to look at the mustang setups as i believed they'd be a lot closer to my set up than a larger F truck, do you know what years id be looking at for a hydroboost from a mustang or lincoln?

I think that is my short term plan, we still have a good 4-5 months of 'winter' here so dont want to do anything too major. Im planning on making my own braided lines and hoping that will make a good enough difference in the short term, who knows it might end up good enough and ill stick with it for good!

Gary, i completely forogot about the vac speed ocntrol switch! thanks for the heads up, i will do some more research and maybe revive this thread a few months down the line when / if i am able to order all the parts and such, at the momnet lots of companies are 'halting' shipping from europe as we finalise the brexit deals and all parts that come over from the states stop off in cologne therefore would never arrive :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

Jim, thanks for that, my original thoughts were to look at the mustang setups as i believed they'd be a lot closer to my set up than a larger F truck, do you know what years id be looking at for a hydroboost from a mustang or lincoln?

Matt - Having seen the pics of the lorries backed up in Kent due to France having stopped all Chunnel traffic from England, and with Brexit negotiations not going well, you may be a long time getting anything from this side of the pond. So I think it wise to take your time. Do the research. And then pull the trigger on whatever the plan is at that time.

Matt - Having seen the pics of the lorries backed up in Kent due to France having stopped all Chunnel traffic from England, and with Brexit negotiations not going well, you may be a long time getting anything from this side of the pond. So I think it wise to take your time. Do the research. And then pull the trigger on whatever the plan is at that time.

Matt,

Where in there UK are you? I am from London - Enfield specifically. Been in the US since 2006.

Gary, I always choose the best time to do anything :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig: i had the truck shipped over when trump closed all exports and stopped paying the TSA or whatever he did :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig: Now i want to do an entire brake and exhaust setup when our govenmnet have done the same haha