Bullnose Forums

Wipers, non-intermittent to intermittent?

I'm pretty sure they are ALL the same, cars, trucks and vans.

I need to point out that Rusty didn't mention there is a black wire that MUST be grounded for the intermittent wiper switch to work.

ETA: Pretty sure I'd be willing to scrounge a Bronco with a wiper knob that turns left for $15 rather than pay JBG $150 for a module and switch.

Gary should show how to open up the box and resolder the heatsink.

That's usually what goes wrong with the modules, and it's a 5 minute fix.

Correct it needs to be grounded if you mount it in the OE location there is a hole in the metal dash support that is grounded that you attach the wire to. At least that is where I attached mine to.

For the module itself trucks and vans I have always seen the same the only time I ever saw a difference was with the heavy duty trucks like the F700s for example.

I'm pretty sure they are ALL the same, cars, trucks and vans.

I need to point out that Rusty didn't mention there is a black wire that MUST be grounded for the intermittent wiper switch to work.

ETA: Pretty sure I'd be willing to scrounge a Bronco with a wiper knob that turns left for $15 rather than pay JBG $150 for a module and switch.

Gary should show how to open up the box and resolder the heatsink.

That's usually what goes wrong with the modules, and it's a 5 minute fix.

Correct it needs to be grounded if you mount it in the OE location there is a hole in the metal dash support that is grounded that you attach the wire to. At least that is where I attached mine to.

For the module itself trucks and vans I have always seen the same the only time I ever saw a difference was with the heavy duty trucks like the F700s for example.

The difference between a car wiper system and truck/van is probably due to most cars having retracted park wipers. The retracted park systems requires the motor to reverse direction to park the wipers below the base of the windshield. The motor reversing causes the crank arm to hit a stop on the exterior of the gearbox forcing the crank to stop and the eccentric in the motor end to rotate 180° and move the wipers further down. This is also the reason the first stroke on these is frequently a bit short and the wipers will pause at the bottom when turned off, then retract as the motor reverses.

The difference between a car wiper system and truck/van is probably due to most cars having retracted park wipers. The retracted park systems requires the motor to reverse direction to park the wipers below the base of the windshield. The motor reversing causes the crank arm to hit a stop on the exterior of the gearbox forcing the crank to stop and the eccentric in the motor end to rotate 180° and move the wipers further down. This is also the reason the first stroke on these is frequently a bit short and the wipers will pause at the bottom when turned off, then retract as the motor reverses.

Bill,

Gary is showing that an '80's van used the same switch as a mid '70's full size car.

Was an '85 Econoline equipped with hidden wipers?

• 1 month later...

Bill,

Gary is showing that an '80's van used the same switch as a mid '70's full size car.

Was an '85 Econoline equipped with hidden wipers?

Check this off the list, it was super easy found a '91 E-250 at the wrecking ward it's switch with delay module attached. Unplugged my switch, plugged in the one from the wrecking yard, stuffed the dangling delay module in the dash and screwed it back together. Easiest upgrade so far.

Even peeled the little tag off the trim that indicates mode, and glued it on my trim.

Thanks fellas for the advise.

Check this off the list, it was super easy found a '91 E-250 at the wrecking ward it's switch with delay module attached. Unplugged my switch, plugged in the one from the wrecking yard, stuffed the dangling delay module in the dash and screwed it back together. Easiest upgrade so far.

Even peeled the little tag off the trim that indicates mode, and glued it on my trim.

Thanks fellas for the advise.

Glad it worked for you. The only suggestion I have beyond what you've done regards the delay module. Those are slightly delicate and shouldn't be knocked around. However, if by "dangling" you mean that you dangled it via a zip tie, then well done!