Bullnose Forums

Hello from Alberta

Gregsbf

Greg, I can say be careful of that 2G regulator plug with an '87 spec alternator.

They are a known point of failure and many of us have gone to the later 3rd Generation alternator, not only for more output and better charging at idle, but to avoid the chance of fire.

Thanks for the warning. I actually have a brand new plug from Ford in my tool box for that exact reason. I didn't realize they were prone to fire, but I have seen lots of partially melted ones so I bought one when I still could. Lol

I just switched to a powermaster 1 wire with this engine swap. I'm not sure I love it either though so a 3g might be coming yet.

Greg

Greg, I can say be careful of that 2G regulator plug with an '87 spec alternator.

They are a known point of failure and many of us have gone to the later 3rd Generation alternator, not only for more output and better charging at idle, but to avoid the chance of fire.

I'm from lethbridge area. I'll be sure to check the map and add myself.

Greg

Greg - You can't add yourself to the map, but I've added you. But please check to see that I did it correctly as there are several Lethbridges in the world.

Yup you've got it. Thanks Gary.

Is it a Canadian built truck, or US? We've seen the odd '86 with late build dates. I've seen a couple with October build dates, and I've heard reports of November'86 build dates, but have not personally seen those ones. I'd imagine that with the model changeover some of the plants were later than others in switching over.

I'm rebuilding a 1980 that has a very early build date (Sept '79) so our trucks are about as far apart in age as a pair of Bullnoses can get.

I went to a car show in Lethbridge one time back when I was living in Calgary 25 years ago. I don't remember much about it...we were just in and right back out in the same afternoon.

That's neat that ours are at opposite ends of the build period. Ideally I'd have one from each year in a different configuration. Lol

I'll have to try and find the vin decoder again. I'm pretty sure it was Kansas built which is odd for the powertrain. I was once told the 5.8ho and c6 all came from Dearborn?

Mine was October but I'll snap a picture of the tag next time I'm out there later today. It really sucks that my shop isn't near my house!

Greg

Thanks for the warning. I actually have a brand new plug from Ford in my tool box for that exact reason. I didn't realize they were prone to fire, but I have seen lots of partially melted ones so I bought one when I still could. Lol

I just switched to a powermaster 1 wire with this engine swap. I'm not sure I love it either though so a 3g might be coming yet.

Greg

I didn't realize you had a Powermaster self exciting alternator.

I just saw you mention the '87 charging system.

I think Scott has a Powermaster, but they don't seem to charge well at low rpm's like the 3G's do.

No criticism of your alternator. Mostly anecdotal evidence from reports by others.

I didn't realize you had a Powermaster self exciting alternator.

I just saw you mention the '87 charging system.

I think Scott has a Powermaster, but they don't seem to charge well at low rpm's like the 3G's do.

No criticism of your alternator. Mostly anecdotal evidence from reports by others.

Welcome! Really like that color combo.

Jim's correct - I have a 1 wire Powermaster on my 460 and while I have no real complaints - "not sure I love it" is a good tagline for it. I've only had one situation that I recall looking at the gauge and seeing that it hadn't been excited. In that case I was testing something else so didn't give it any gas to bump the rpms. I've only got a couple thousand miles on it right now so will be interested to hear your experience and your reasons if you swap to a 3g.

Thanks. I really lucked out. I found it on a lot with only 80000 miles on it. Body was about how it is today, but not bad. Interior is really nice though.

As for the powermaster I've never had a problem with it not charging. I had it on my mustang for a while before this with no issues. But I have had a couple times the truck wouldn't shut off. I'm guessing because the alternator keeps making power as long as there's a load?

I haven't quite been able to figure this out though and I've gone over the wiring and can't find a problem. Key off should be spark gone? I've also got a sniper I just installed with the new motor, and a crane hi6 that's been there for about 19 years. I'm about to swap the factory one back on and see if the problem goes away. If so the powermaster isn't coming back.

I guess this is par for the course when you change a bunch of stuff at once.

Greg

Thanks. I really lucked out. I found it on a lot with only 80000 miles on it. Body was about how it is today, but not bad. Interior is really nice though.

As for the powermaster I've never had a problem with it not charging. I had it on my mustang for a while before this with no issues. But I have had a couple times the truck wouldn't shut off. I'm guessing because the alternator keeps making power as long as there's a load?

I haven't quite been able to figure this out though and I've gone over the wiring and can't find a problem. Key off should be spark gone? I've also got a sniper I just installed with the new motor, and a crane hi6 that's been there for about 19 years. I'm about to swap the factory one back on and see if the problem goes away. If so the powermaster isn't coming back.

I guess this is par for the course when you change a bunch of stuff at once.

Greg

- deleted -

Sorry about sideways pictures. I'm not sure why I'm that guy today?

Oh and one other funny thing I've discovered about my truck that I've determined is unusual in a bullnose is factory intermittent wipers. I've never seen another one with them. Mind you I've not seen many of these for quite a while now.

Sorry about sideways pictures. I'm not sure why I'm that guy today?

Oh and one other funny thing I've discovered about my truck that I've determined is unusual in a bullnose is factory intermittent wipers. I've never seen another one with them. Mind you I've not seen many of these for quite a while now.

Greg,

That truck is SUPER clean! :nabble_smiley_cool:

Amazing it comes from Canada.

Seems a lot of people are interested in the Sniper FI.

I'd expect delay wipers in a truck as optioned as yours.

Mine came as a lowly 'Custom' and has them.

The switch and governor are a popular and easy 'upgrade' and can be found in almost ALL Broncos of similar vintage.

We have an explanation for your photo problem in the 'posting pictures' FAQ.

It comes down to, this forum doesn't read camera orientation -or any metadata-

You need to open the photo on your device and 'save' in the correct orientation.

Then choose that file when you upload pics.