Bullnose Forums

Proper tuning sequence?

An RV cam involves pulling the intake, rocker arms, pushrods and lifters.DAMHIK!Consider a towing cam instead..But the water pump backing plate is a weak link.And once you are there......Actually, the Ford HD cam is quite good for something like an RV if it is set 'straight up'My old engine would just keep pulling, to 6k.The convolute weep passages in the back side of the timing case are a darn sight better than coolant in your oil pan!Be careful not to fill them with sealant on R&R the timing case.I can offer advice, but it is only my personal experience, and I am no guru.
Here's my label, I don't see any code for the distributor unless it's the long number on the bottom left.

On Mon, Dec 14, 2020, 2:35 PM ArdWrknTrk [via Bullnose Enthusiasts Forum] <redacted_email_address> wrote:

20201214_075816.thumb.jpg.564fa81f18db7c6068f362a84ac30ed9.jpg

I don't see any pictures...

There isn't a code for the distributor.

You need to look up the calibration code and it will tell you all the different components that go into making up that calibration.

***I use a source of manifold vacuum to adjust idle mixture

That's not the label we are looking for. And the last time I looked up that PN in the lower left it was for the blank label. :nabble_smiley_oh:

20201214_075816.jpg.d4c7d99d16bb8d1de5bd5a08a8a07b40.jpg

As said, we are looking for a label like this, and we need the # like 2-03A-R10. That is the calibration code and then I can look up the "calibration parts list" that will have the carb #, dist #, etc.

how-to-use-calibration-codes-3_orig.thumb.jpg.513498db4322809ee8ab5da0b140b360.jpg

Here are the calibration codes for the 1985 E-Series vehicles with a 7.5L engine. But I don't see any C/C body codes in the catalog, so I don't know how to find the calibration code. Which is why I am hoping you can find it on the vehicle.

1985_460_E-Series_Calibration_Codes.jpg.3de5c1d65b21b6f20c51624043961383.jpg

And here's what the body codes mean.

E-Series_Body_Types.thumb.jpg.b12bedc1b39fbc50cb7dc25b5b5a4909.jpg

See Gary's reply.

It's also on the radiator support sticker.

That is the only way Ford engineers could put something past the EPA guidelines.

The calibration code details how the carb is tuned, where the timing is set, what kind of Cat may be installed, etc...

Just like the little aluminum tag attached to every carb that comes off the assembly line.

Each application has a specific distributor tune.

Gary and are using the NAPA TP-40 module.

I'm not sure what Cory has.

I'll check the radiator support tomorrow, otherwise I can't find it. The only sticker to host I've seen is the one I pictured previously, there's a copy of that one on the underside of the hood, then an A/C sticker.

For the radiator support would the sticker be behind the grill, or inside maybe next to the radiator?

I'll check the radiator support tomorrow, otherwise I can't find it. The only sticker to host I've seen is the one I pictured previously, there's a copy of that one on the underside of the hood, then an A/C sticker.

For the radiator support would the sticker be behind the grill, or inside maybe next to the radiator?

Nope, you've found the tune-up information/vacuum routing sticker.

Your question was "Proper tuning sequence" and I'm pointing out that the steps on the right half must be done in the order written.

Where you see the sticker says that the 4180 carburetor the E-350 came with had the idle mixture screws plugged as federally mandated (tamper proof) the 4160 you have now can be adjusted for highest vacuum reading.

That's usually how you would set idle mixture.

The sticker Gary wants is found on the drivers side valve cover close to where the oil fill enters.

Nope, you've found the tune-up information/vacuum routing sticker.

Your question was "Proper tuning sequence" and I'm pointing out that the steps on the right half must be done in the order written.

Where you see the sticker says that the 4180 carburetor the E-350 came with had the idle mixture screws plugged as federally mandated (tamper proof) the 4160 you have now can be adjusted for highest vacuum reading.

That's usually how you would set idle mixture.

The sticker Gary wants is found on the drivers side valve cover close to where the oil fill enters.

Also note Gary's listing for body types.

We can assume E30, cutaway RV.

On the drivers door jamb will be a sticker with the VIN and some other info.

Post a picture of that. The DSO will point to whether it was sold in Cali.

And that will narrow the options to only one...

Cory mentions Scott Johnston, owner of Parkland Performance Auto Machine, advising 14* initial advance.

He is an engine masters participant and specializes in 385 series Fords. (Is it a 460 if it displaces 521 c.i.?)

Gary has one of his engines in Big Blue.

If you go to his site there is a walk through of how to recurve your distributor.

This is worth a look even* if you don't intend to do it, because it explains how the weights, springs, slots and vacuum determine the advance.

He also offers distributor tuning to your vehicle, or complete units with no core required.

http://parklandautomachine.com/products

Bingo! So if we have a pic of the certification label we can probably work out the Cali or not issue and know which of the calibration codes it is. Then I can list that code.

Bingo! So if we have a pic of the certification label we can probably work out the Cali or not issue and know which of the calibration codes it is. Then I can list that code.

Since I intend to swap my 4160 onto my truck today (in advance of the 18" of white gold Gary sent our way)

Perhaps I can document some of the steps.

At least I can take some pictures for you, and explain the process.

Also note Gary's listing for body types.We can assume E30, cutaway RV.On the drivers door jamb will be a sticker with the VIN and some other info.Post a picture of that. The DSO will point to whether it was sold in Cali.And that will narrow the options to only one...
I'll see what I can find, I know for sure that the Cobra is in fact a Fed emissions vehicle not a California. Stay tuned..

On Wed, Dec 16, 2020, 4:49 AM Gary Lewis [via Bullnose Enthusiasts Forum] <redacted_email_address> wrote: