Bullnose Forums

Do I need this chingadera

20201201_004041.jpg.2a65d3db38f933723384e00a31144c80.jpg

Hi all, me again...

I took this here little chingadera out because I broke it trying to clean it, the thing don't seem to seat like it should.. Y'all probably already know this is but it was inline between the PCV valve, and the carb...or maybe it was the spacer... Anywho.. I've stripped all emissions, not sure if it was part of that system or what. Every part store I've brought it into, nobody knows what it is.

Soooo, what is it, what does it do, and do I need it😁

It's a thermal compensator.

Basically an engineered in vacuum leak to lean the engine and step up the idle speed in lumbering beasts when underhood temperatures rise too high.

I wouldn't say you need it, but it was but there by the upfitter for that reason

Jim - Did the same engine also get the thermally-controlled vacuum switch/valve that put manifold vacuum to the vacuum advance? Or did some use that thingamajig to give more air and others use the switch to give more vacuum?

If not, then the vacuum switch could be used to speed up the idle - if that function is needed.

Jim - Did the same engine also get the thermally-controlled vacuum switch/valve that put manifold vacuum to the vacuum advance? Or did some use that thingamajig to give more air and others use the switch to give more vacuum?

If not, then the vacuum switch could be used to speed up the idle - if that function is needed.

Gary, I think all carburted 460s had the valve on the water neck my

Gary, I think all carburted 460s had the valve on the water neck my

So some needed both? Man, that 460 is a hot beast, but wow!

I'm thinking that the one on the water neck may be enough in this case. So my answer to the original question is "Hopefully you don't need it." I'd either replace the PVC hose with a full-length one or put a double-barb in that doohickey's place and try w/o it. If it gets hot and needs the extra idle speed then it can be addressed later.

So some needed both? Man, that 460 is a hot beast, but wow!

I'm thinking that the one on the water neck may be enough in this case. So my answer to the original question is "Hopefully you don't need it." I'd either replace the PVC hose with a full-length one or put a double-barb in that doohickey's place and try w/o it. If it gets hot and needs the extra idle speed then it can be addressed later.

Ford sells a cutaway E-350 chassis.

The coachbuilder/upfitter does *whatever.

That thing is not from Ford, it's from Cobra..

Ford sells a cutaway E-350 chassis.

The coachbuilder/upfitter does *whatever.

That thing is not from Ford, it's from Cobra..

Yes, and apparently Cobra thought it was needed - at least in some cases. But I'm hoping that in this case it won't be needed. Or that another workaround can be found if that device is NLA.

Yes, and apparently Cobra thought it was needed - at least in some cases. But I'm hoping that in this case it won't be needed. Or that another workaround can be found if that device is NLA.

I think Bill listed some manufacturers when he first identified it as a hot Idle compensator.

I think Bill listed some manufacturers when he first identified it as a hot Idle compensator.

It won't be pretty, but, the actual hot idle compensator appears to screw into a brass tee, two hose fittings and one female NPT on the side. A brass tee with three female NPT ports, two hose to the NPT thread in male and the valve in the third port.