Bullnose Forums

HVAC Doors help

old55pete

Scott, John, Bill and George

Because of the rain, mostly melted snow and the mud. I am only gonna do what I have to to get the defrosters and heater going. Pulling out the whole dash to repair/ replace this diverter door is out of the question until spring as this appears to be more then a one day job.

On the other hand, I am going to do what I can to fix that broken door so that it will let the defrosters/ heater work until spring.

This is one of the times that I envy you guys that have your own home shops to be able to work inside in bad weather.

Completely understood. I think the dowel rod would be a simple temp solution. Haven't ever tried poking anything up there but from when I had mine disassembled it seems like it would work.

Completely understood. I think the dowel rod would be a simple temp solution. Haven't ever tried poking anything up there but from when I had mine disassembled it seems like it would work.

Steve, don't I know that!

But you're on the right track, and if you have to leave the defroster wedged open until spring, so be it.

I've used some kind of self adhesive webbing to make a check valve for my buddy's forge bellows.

That stuff had the acrylic adhesive you find on foil duct tape and it hasn't let go in six years of use.

(I have NO idea how many cycles that is, but it's WAY more than that door will ever see.

Steve, don't I know that!

But you're on the right track, and if you have to leave the defroster wedged open until spring, so be it.

I've used some kind of self adhesive webbing to make a check valve for my buddy's forge bellows.

That stuff had the acrylic adhesive you find on foil duct tape and it hasn't let go in six years of use.

(I have NO idea how many cycles that is, but it's WAY more than that door will ever see.

Jim - Are you saying that the self-adhesive webbing would work for a hinge? That might be an excellent idea!

I was able to put a hinge in Big Blue's door while everything was in the truck, but it was a huge pain. HUGE! However, I think you could reach in and stick a piece of webbing on. :nabble_smiley_good:

Jim - Are you saying that the self-adhesive webbing would work for a hinge? That might be an excellent idea!

I was able to put a hinge in Big Blue's door while everything was in the truck, but it was a huge pain. HUGE! However, I think you could reach in and stick a piece of webbing on. :nabble_smiley_good:

I don't know if the hinge on your defroster plenum needs offset, but if it doesn't and you can get the plastic clean, this stuff sticks tenaciously.

Like I said it's been six years and Steve steps on that pedal all day.

Plus, I don't think a plenum gets any more heat than a coal forge.

I don't have a link, but I will try to find that stuff again if you think it could help in this situation.

I don't know if the hinge on your defroster plenum needs offset, but if it doesn't and you can get the plastic clean, this stuff sticks tenaciously.

Like I said it's been six years and Steve steps on that pedal all day.

Plus, I don't think a plenum gets any more heat than a coal forge.

I don't have a link, but I will try to find that stuff again if you think it could help in this situation.

If you put it over the hinge that's there then I think that would give the offset. Maybe others can say?

But if I was able to reach in there and do my work surely it is possible to clean the plastic and slap a bandage on.

If you put it over the hinge that's there then I think that would give the offset. Maybe others can say?

But if I was able to reach in there and do my work surely it is possible to clean the plastic and slap a bandage on.

If you can get it on exactly right.

Because once that a adhesive hits it isn't going ANYWHERE.

If you can get it on exactly right.

Because once that a adhesive hits it isn't going ANYWHERE.

Steve. In our case , we work outside as well, fortunately it was summer when the dash was pulled. Do what you need to do to get the door moved into position.

I do like Jim's idea about the webbing though, it may be worth a thought, that is if you can get to it. Never really tried to get to it in Brutus, we knew the dash had to be pulled which brings me to that stupid cowl by the windsheld. We now have screen under there, but it had collected so much dirt and debris over the years It was caked down in there, everywhere, the whole plenum had to be removed and cleaned.

Steve. In our case , we work outside as well, fortunately it was summer when the dash was pulled. Do what you need to do to get the door moved into position.

I do like Jim's idea about the webbing though, it may be worth a thought, that is if you can get to it. Never really tried to get to it in Brutus, we knew the dash had to be pulled which brings me to that stupid cowl by the windsheld. We now have screen under there, but it had collected so much dirt and debris over the years It was caked down in there, everywhere, the whole plenum had to be removed and cleaned.

I used some 3M fiberglass "tape" that I got from a friend at the airport (398FR) they use it to seal cargo holds.

But I think commonly available Velcro loop tape with the acrylic adhesive would be strong and stick just as well.

https://www.fabricsupply.com/products/velcro-hook-and-loop-acrylic-adhesive-backed-2-inch/

• 4 weeks later...

I used some 3M fiberglass "tape" that I got from a friend at the airport (398FR) they use it to seal cargo holds.

But I think commonly available Velcro loop tape with the acrylic adhesive would be strong and stick just as well.

https://www.fabricsupply.com/products/velcro-hook-and-loop-acrylic-adhesive-backed-2-inch/

Yep, like a bad penny, I am back. Things changed with the weather and my health. Long story short, had a heart attack in Oct and as an emergency deal they put in a stent and did one angioplastie(spelling). I was supposed to get two more stents after healing some, I was trying to go back to work but the Dr wont release me untill I get the stents. That is not going to happen untill this COVID crap is over. So here I am stuck in limbo.

I did drag the dash out of the Bronco so I could change the dirvirter door as it arrived on Christmas eve. Now I was told that this was a NOS door, it arrived in two boxes. The box that had the door in it came from TASCA Ford and has a manufacture date on the tag of 12/11/20. When I called them to find out what was going on, I was told that the door is NEW, not NOS.

The reason I am doing this is that some of you have repaired these doors and I was wondering if you had pictures of the repairs and could post them here so I could see what you have done and I can make those same kind of repairs to the "NEW" door before I put it back together.DSCN0670.jpg.45bfe690976e5e5d8040c3cc78790d99.jpgDSCN0671.jpg.5ba8bdceb23c829322882ae83e9ae3af.jpgDSCN0674.jpg.0e97981341bf36482290b481acd42de6.jpgheater_door_2.jpg.1d0293a8a95429d136b8493447b38ea3.jpg

Jim, I am deffenatly interested in that mesh you were talking about.

Yep, like a bad penny, I am back. Things changed with the weather and my health. Long story short, had a heart attack in Oct and as an emergency deal they put in a stent and did one angioplastie(spelling). I was supposed to get two more stents after healing some, I was trying to go back to work but the Dr wont release me untill I get the stents. That is not going to happen untill this COVID crap is over. So here I am stuck in limbo.

I did drag the dash out of the Bronco so I could change the dirvirter door as it arrived on Christmas eve. Now I was told that this was a NOS door, it arrived in two boxes. The box that had the door in it came from TASCA Ford and has a manufacture date on the tag of 12/11/20. When I called them to find out what was going on, I was told that the door is NEW, not NOS.

The reason I am doing this is that some of you have repaired these doors and I was wondering if you had pictures of the repairs and could post them here so I could see what you have done and I can make those same kind of repairs to the "NEW" door before I put it back together.

Jim, I am deffenatly interested in that mesh you were talking about.

Steve, sorry about the health related issues. Glad you're doing well though.

I rebuilt my door. The OEM part you purchased was like $125 when I was looking for it and knowing it would eventually fail, I was prompted to address the repair with a better hinge. So, with you having the new door, not sure what you need. It looks like you're there already. Door slides in, hooks to the lever on the vacuum actuator and is secured by three or four screws. Your old broken blend door should have those nut plates on it. Am I missing something in your request? I can probably provide some pictures.

Curious, can I ask what that new blend door was?

Ohhhh....while you have all that apart, can you shoot a picture of where the ground is for the fuel tanks? My gauge is not working and I'm told there is a ground back behind the radio.