Bullnose Forums

Lila- 81 F100. Built for her, by her!

Lila_the81Custom

And, Gary gets to it first....

Gary, the forum has been really flakey for me, submissions time out and, Pooof! They're gone.

Frustrating to say the least..

Sorry, Jim. I've not had many timeouts that take the post away, but I have had blank screens come up that make my heart jump into my throat. Perhaps you could copy the text before hitting Post?

Edit: if it is a '91 engine it should be reverse rotation already.

No problem there.

Did you ever have overheating problems running it with V-belts?

As for the '81 pedals, I know the later hydraulic pedal crossover shaft has an arm that is replaceable.

I do not know if this short arm that engages the eye of the clutch master pushrod will fit onto a Z-bar pedal set.

Maybe Gary can look at the one from his Dad's Truck?

So the water pump I put on first was clockwise rotation, the water pump that I pulled from the 94' looked identical to mine (outlets were exactly the same) except it was a counter clockwise rotation. I have no idea what the engine came off of. I know that when I took it apart it was running a v-belt set up. Does that mean that it isn't compatible for serpentine or just that someone chose to go v-belt?

As for over heating, I know that at one point it did over heat. Unfortunately I do not know the reasons as I drove it home about 10 miles and that is all the experience that I have with that trucks driving abilities. I do know that she had a MAJOR transmission leak and was burning some serious oil. I say that it over heated at some point due to the bluing in side the cylinders and the immense pitting on the intake manifold.

The engine has been completely overhauled by a machinist and almost all of the parts (like intake) are brand new. So there should be no issues there.

I will have to look at both pedal boxes again and pull numbers off of them. Good news is I have both! The original (I believe) was for the 300 I6 3 speed manual as the clutch was still on it, only it was disengaged.

Is it against the forum rules to offer my phone number so that people may reach out via phone, as in some circumstances it is easier to discuss certain topics vocally vs. typing?

So the water pump I put on first was clockwise rotation, the water pump that I pulled from the 94' looked identical to mine (outlets were exactly the same) except it was a counter clockwise rotation. I have no idea what the engine came off of. I know that when I took it apart it was running a v-belt set up. Does that mean that it isn't compatible for serpentine or just that someone chose to go v-belt?

As for over heating, I know that at one point it did over heat. Unfortunately I do not know the reasons as I drove it home about 10 miles and that is all the experience that I have with that trucks driving abilities. I do know that she had a MAJOR transmission leak and was burning some serious oil. I say that it over heated at some point due to the bluing in side the cylinders and the immense pitting on the intake manifold.

The engine has been completely overhauled by a machinist and almost all of the parts (like intake) are brand new. So there should be no issues there.

I will have to look at both pedal boxes again and pull numbers off of them. Good news is I have both! The original (I believe) was for the 300 I6 3 speed manual as the clutch was still on it, only it was disengaged.

Is it against the forum rules to offer my phone number so that people may reach out via phone, as in some circumstances it is easier to discuss certain topics vocally vs. typing?

I would NEVER post my phone number on the internet (anywhere)

By clicking anybody's username you will see an option to 'send an email to XYZ'

Many of us talk and text behind the scenes.

There's nothing wrong with that!

But for any of us to maintain a semblance of privacy we don't put home addresses on the map either.

Of course with us sending parts back and forth we DO know each other's addresses.

I can't tell you what will work and won't work on the water pump/timing case issue. You need help from some of the others, like maybe Cory or Shaun. Let's see if they chime in.

As for the telephone #, we have no rules regarding that. So if you want to post your telephone number go ahead. But you may get a lot of crank calls as this forum is, like most forums, visible to anyone in the world. At the very least I'd make the numbers into words for part of it, like my area code is nine one eight.

I would NEVER post my phone number on the internet (anywhere)

By clicking anybody's username you will see an option to 'send an email to XYZ'

Many of us talk and text behind the scenes.

There's nothing wrong with that!

But for any of us to maintain a semblance of privacy we don't put home addresses on the map either.

Of course with us sending parts back and forth we DO know each other's addresses.

Fair enough, I guess I meant behind the scenes not necessarily sharing with the world. LOL (see translation is everything!) So I am putting it out there that I am willing to discuss over the phone topics. Unfortunately in my area everyone seems to only specialize in Chevy, and ford experts are few and far between locally.

Fair enough, I guess I meant behind the scenes not necessarily sharing with the world. LOL (see translation is everything!) So I am putting it out there that I am willing to discuss over the phone topics. Unfortunately in my area everyone seems to only specialize in Chevy, and ford experts are few and far between locally.

Jaci,

Unfortunately for us, the 302 is a bit of a rat's nest nest when it comes to part interchangeability. There are all kinds of parts that can be swapped between generations, but shouldn't be swapped. Water pumps are an issues, as are harmonic balancers and flywheels, etc.

Just out of curiosity, how are you identifying your 302 as a 1991? The reason I ask is, if it is carbed, has V-belts and a mechanical fuel pump, then it doesn't sound like it was pulled from a 1991...not complete at least. The double sump oil pan sounds like it came from a car though. Anyway...just curious.

If you have one of the old style timing covers with a mechanical fuel pump, then it is likely that you require a water pump with the old style rotation (V-belt).

When you were installing the transmission, did you happen to notice if the 302 had a 1pc rear main seal on the crank?

Did you also take the starter from the same truck that you got the 5spd from? The reason I ask is that starters are specific to manual or auto transmissions, so you can't use the starter from the AOD on the 5spd. Just an FYI.

As far as the manual hydraulic pedal boxes go, I'm probably not much help. I know that all of the generation pedal boxes are not interchangeable as complete units. 1983-1986 is one, 1987-1991, and 1992-1996. Whether you can swap individual parts in between them I don't know.

There were some changes in the clutch slave cylinders as well. Did you re-use the slave that was in the 1994 transmission?

Jaci,

Unfortunately for us, the 302 is a bit of a rat's nest nest when it comes to part interchangeability. There are all kinds of parts that can be swapped between generations, but shouldn't be swapped. Water pumps are an issues, as are harmonic balancers and flywheels, etc.

Just out of curiosity, how are you identifying your 302 as a 1991? The reason I ask is, if it is carbed, has V-belts and a mechanical fuel pump, then it doesn't sound like it was pulled from a 1991...not complete at least. The double sump oil pan sounds like it came from a car though. Anyway...just curious.

If you have one of the old style timing covers with a mechanical fuel pump, then it is likely that you require a water pump with the old style rotation (V-belt).

When you were installing the transmission, did you happen to notice if the 302 had a 1pc rear main seal on the crank?

Did you also take the starter from the same truck that you got the 5spd from? The reason I ask is that starters are specific to manual or auto transmissions, so you can't use the starter from the AOD on the 5spd. Just an FYI.

As far as the manual hydraulic pedal boxes go, I'm probably not much help. I know that all of the generation pedal boxes are not interchangeable as complete units. 1983-1986 is one, 1987-1991, and 1992-1996. Whether you can swap individual parts in between them I don't know.

There were some changes in the clutch slave cylinders as well. Did you re-use the slave that was in the 1994 transmission?

I'm thinking back to my '85 GT And even though it had a carb, it had a polygroove belt w/ tensioner.

It's a real challenge to figure out what all is in a stray mutt you've adopted!

One thing that can tell us something, is the crank balance.

And like Cory said, the type of rear main seal.

Would you consider using an electric fuel pump to adapt the timing case to RRWP, and then you can use the serpentine setup you want?

(Same for changing the pan and pickup to drop it into those mounts)

None of the '80s trucks had front or split sump pans. Though I do believe some Econoline vans did.

Jaci,

Rembrant & Jim

The casting number on the block is F1SE-BB. As stated before I know it is not the original engine and if I had to guess what it was pulled from I would think a mustang (even though the S is for thunderbird). I know the engine came to me complete with carb, v-belts, and mechanical fuel pump. What it was originally, I have zero idea.

We stripped the engine to the block and had it and both heads completely overhauled by the machinist and rebuilt it from the block up. EVERYTHING on and in that block is brand new. The rear main seal I believe is a 2 piece (don't quote me though).

We have already swapped the oil pan to a rear sump, mechanical fuel pump an inline fuel pump, and put a RRWP on! YAY ME!!

We purchased a new starter that is for the hydraulic transmission.

I am still researching the pedal box, was told that because we are frame up resto and there is nothing inside the cab at the moment, that we may be able to install the pedal box from the 94' with minimal fabrication. I am not convinced quite yet. I pulled everything from the 94' that involved the manual transmission, including the slave and master clutch cylinder.

Rembrant & Jim

The casting number on the block is F1SE-BB. As stated before I know it is not the original engine and if I had to guess what it was pulled from I would think a mustang (even though the S is for thunderbird). I know the engine came to me complete with carb, v-belts, and mechanical fuel pump. What it was originally, I have zero idea.

We stripped the engine to the block and had it and both heads completely overhauled by the machinist and rebuilt it from the block up. EVERYTHING on and in that block is brand new. The rear main seal I believe is a 2 piece (don't quote me though).

We have already swapped the oil pan to a rear sump, mechanical fuel pump an inline fuel pump, and put a RRWP on! YAY ME!!

We purchased a new starter that is for the hydraulic transmission.

I am still researching the pedal box, was told that because we are frame up resto and there is nothing inside the cab at the moment, that we may be able to install the pedal box from the 94' with minimal fabrication. I am not convinced quite yet. I pulled everything from the 94' that involved the manual transmission, including the slave and master clutch cylinder.

You two are moving fast Jaci!

A '90's block and crank would use a one-piece drive in rear main seal and 50oz. balance.

(The balance changed in '82)

Do you recall what cam you've used and if there are solid or roller lifters?

Yes, I've said you can fabricate new pedal support mounts.

I suggested Shaun has pictures and dimensions from his last epic retro/resto of an 80/81 truck.

Just be aware that the way the steering column bolts up is different in the details.

And by '94 all the dash structure had changed quite a bit.

Cory makes a good point about where to drive the speedometer from.

Again, in '94 there were no cables, just an electronic module (PSOM)

There's some discussion about these in Big Blues thread right now.

Those concentric slave cylinders in the Mazda gearboxes can be a pain to bleed.

Sometimes easier to push fluid from the bleeder up, to fill the master cylinder.

I always liked the look of these early trucks.

The subtle differences and many options are one of Shaun's obsessions, so hopefully he will weigh in or I can ask he to post pedal support pics in this thread.

Rembrant,

Right, yes. I forgot about the block casting number. God knows what it came out of then. Clearly some parts were swapped around in the past. This makes the 302 a little frustrating as there were lots of changes over the years.