Bullnose Forums

Lila- 81 F100. Built for her, by her!

Lila_the81Custom

My fingers are crossed!

Sometimes, good intentions have unexpected consequences.

If'n you need a slip yoke, D9TZ-4841-C is the one that you want. They're obsolete from Ford, but if you use that number for a cross reference, you can find one anywhere...

UPDATE:

As of today, Lila is beginning to once again resemble a truck! I will post new pictures soon!

I was able to use my existing crossmember to mount the transmission, I located a flywheel dust cover, and both engine and transmission are now mounted on the frame.

We initially were going to keep drive belts OEM v-belts, until I came across a donor 1994 F-150 and was able to stripe the complete serpentine set up off of it!!! The only thing that I need to do now is replace the manual fuel pump for an inline pump as the mechanical one gets in the way of the power steering bracket! I also need to purchase a crank pulley spacer to line up all the pulleys!

Next step is to install the hydraulic pedal box. As stated before I swapped the AOD for a M5OD-R2, I pulled both the transmission and pedal box off a 94' 2WD F-150. I know that I have read that it is recommended to re-enforce the firewall to protect it from cracking and to replace the bushing in the shifter (already done).

I am in need of advice for installing the pedal box, required components, and pictures if anyone has any!

Thanks!!

UPDATE:

As of today, Lila is beginning to once again resemble a truck! I will post new pictures soon!

I was able to use my existing crossmember to mount the transmission, I located a flywheel dust cover, and both engine and transmission are now mounted on the frame.

We initially were going to keep drive belts OEM v-belts, until I came across a donor 1994 F-150 and was able to stripe the complete serpentine set up off of it!!! The only thing that I need to do now is replace the manual fuel pump for an inline pump as the mechanical one gets in the way of the power steering bracket! I also need to purchase a crank pulley spacer to line up all the pulleys!

Next step is to install the hydraulic pedal box. As stated before I swapped the AOD for a M5OD-R2, I pulled both the transmission and pedal box off a 94' 2WD F-150. I know that I have read that it is recommended to re-enforce the firewall to protect it from cracking and to replace the bushing in the shifter (already done).

I am in need of advice for installing the pedal box, required components, and pictures if anyone has any!

Thanks!!

You are making progress! And, as Jim says, progress is good!

But, are you aware that the v-belt and serpentine water pumps rotate opposite directions? IOW, you should change to a pump for the serpentine setup.

As for the pedal box, there are illustrations as well as instructions from the factory shop manuals on the page at Documentation/Driveline/Clutches And Linkage. But, you do know that the 94's pedal box won't fit? The pedals, springs, and bushings will fit in a Bullnose manual transmission box, but you have to have the Bullnose box.

UPDATE:

Thanks!!

You're going to need a reverse rotation water pump and the timing case too, off the serpentine donor truck.

Shaun has pics and can help you with setting a hydraulic pedal set in a '80-'83 truck.

You are making progress! And, as Jim says, progress is good!

But, are you aware that the v-belt and serpentine water pumps rotate opposite directions? IOW, you should change to a pump for the serpentine setup.

As for the pedal box, there are illustrations as well as instructions from the factory shop manuals on the page at Documentation/Driveline/Clutches And Linkage. But, you do know that the 94's pedal box won't fit? The pedals, springs, and bushings will fit in a Bullnose manual transmission box, but you have to have the Bullnose box.

Wow Gary, you're just one step ahead of me this morning aren't you?

I'm pretty sure the timing case is different.

You can compare gaskets, but with water is coming at the passages from the other direction.....

You can compare gaskets, but with water is coming at the passages from the other direction.....

Ok I have the originally bullnose pedal box that was for 3 on the tree, I assume that will work? I did replace the water pump but not the timing cover. The engine is actually a 91' 302 so would that still stand as an issue?

Sometimes I get lucky, Jim. But, I'd forgotten about the timing case and I do think you are right, the reverse rotation pump discharges on the other side and the openings are different. Good catch!

Ok I have the originally bullnose pedal box that was for 3 on the tree, I assume that will work? I did replace the water pump but not the timing cover. The engine is actually a 91' 302 so would that still stand as an issue?

Our page on clutch linkage part numbers shows one box/bracket for manual transmissions. My note there says that the E4TZ bracket, which would be for hydraulic linkages, replaced an E0TZ and an E1TZ bracket, both of which would have been for mechanical linkages. So it seems to me that if a hydraulic bracket will work for a mechanical linkage your mechanical bracket should work on a hydraulic linkage.

I'm pretty sure that the shaft itself is different, but the one from the later box should work, just like the pedal will.

On the timing cover, if the engine had a serpentine system then the timing cover should be correct. If not, I don't think it will.

2l252-numbers-1_1.thumb.jpg.9b1ffad51c56e2439846c367706b5c96.jpg

Edit: if it is a '91 engine it should be reverse rotation already.

No problem there.

Did you ever have overheating problems running it with V-belts?

As for the '81 pedals, I know the later hydraulic pedal crossover shaft has an arm that is replaceable.

I do not know if this short arm that engages the eye of the clutch master pushrod will fit onto a Z-bar pedal set.

Maybe Gary can look at the one from his Dad's Truck?

Edit: if it is a '91 engine it should be reverse rotation already.

No problem there.

Did you ever have overheating problems running it with V-belts?

As for the '81 pedals, I know the later hydraulic pedal crossover shaft has an arm that is replaceable.

I do not know if this short arm that engages the eye of the clutch master pushrod will fit onto a Z-bar pedal set.

Maybe Gary can look at the one from his Dad's Truck?

And, Gary gets to it first....

Gary, the forum has been really flakey for me, submissions time out and, Pooof! They're gone.

Frustrating to say the least..