Bullnose Forums

Lila- 81 F100. Built for her, by her!

Lila_the81Custom

UPDATE:

Sorry I have been MIA for a few days I had surgery and was out of it.

So I was able to locate a slip yoke for the M5R2 transmission. It came attached to the driveshaft which was great as well being that someone shortened the existing one to accommodate for an auto tranny.

Engine and Transmission are now attached to one another, though upon dry fitting to the truck we discovered that we needed to replace to crossmember. Found one at a pick and pull but was unable to get it free...ugh!

Another issue that I am having is mounting the engine! I will post under parts for this but I believe that because the truck was originally a 300 I6 (302 was in it when we bought it) that I am missing a piece for the motor mounts. The V8 perches are already there and I have the correct mounts for the 302 engine, but there must be an insulator or something that is needed as the oil pan sits to low on the old 300 perches.

UPDATE:

Sorry I have been MIA for a few days I had surgery and was out of it.

So I was able to locate a slip yoke for the M5R2 transmission. It came attached to the driveshaft which was great as well being that someone shortened the existing one to accommodate for an auto tranny.

Engine and Transmission are now attached to one another, though upon dry fitting to the truck we discovered that we needed to replace to crossmember. Found one at a pick and pull but was unable to get it free...ugh!

Another issue that I am having is mounting the engine! I will post under parts for this but I believe that because the truck was originally a 300 I6 (302 was in it when we bought it) that I am missing a piece for the motor mounts. The V8 perches are already there and I have the correct mounts for the 302 engine, but there must be an insulator or something that is needed as the oil pan sits to low on the old 300 perches.

300 perches are just a flat(tish) plate on either side of the cross member.

V-8 perches rivet (or bolt) to the back of the cross member.

Motor mounts (isolators) go in-between.

Yes. You can see the part numbers and pictures here: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/engine-perches.html

Yes Gary my frame looks identical to the one in the picture. I bought new mounts for it that fit into where the yellow arrow is. It seems as though it needs something other than the mounts to lift the engine a few more inches so the oil pan does not hit the former crossmember.

This is the mount that I have.

MOTOR_MOUNT.jpg.d0be9ba568bf48fbe6b36b93de488fff.jpg

Yes Gary my frame looks identical to the one in the picture. I bought new mounts for it that fit into where the yellow arrow is. It seems as though it needs something other than the mounts to lift the engine a few more inches so the oil pan does not hit the former crossmember.

This is the mount that I have.

What pan do you have? A rear sump one?

What pan do you have? A rear sump one?

Front.

It is the same set up that we pulled from the truck, so I am confused as to why it is not sitting accurately anymore.

I unfortunately did not take pictures during tear down, and am unsure if there were spacers placed with the motor mounts to allow for the oil pans clearance.

Front.

It is the same set up that we pulled from the truck, so I am confused as to why it is not sitting accurately anymore.

I unfortunately did not take pictures during tear down, and am unsure if there were spacers placed with the motor mounts to allow for the oil pans clearance.

Jaci - on the page at Documentation/Engines/Windsor and the Instructions tab I find this illustration on Page 10 in the FSM writeup:

Windsor_Mounts.thumb.jpg.a6562bb5035944e7fca774f4da013301.jpg

Jaci - on the page at Documentation/Engines/Windsor and the Instructions tab I find this illustration on Page 10 in the FSM writeup:

Your mounts look to be much more shallow than the ones in the illustration. But bear in mind that the same illustration if frequently used for many different applications, so isn't always accurate.

Still, having the wrong mount/isolator could cause the pan to hit the frame. I'm seeing these numbers:

302_Isolator_Header.thumb.jpg.78d5c8dd97768ff04093dd1ece0a5386.jpg302_Isolator_Numbers.thumb.jpg.8b086917a673c76acf4df9c0d67be2e0.jpg

Front.

If the engine has a front sump pan it sounds like it was pulled from a car. Do you know where the engine came from?

Out of curiosity, what did you use for a flywheel on this engine?